ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 10, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,536 of 9,763
RCA definitely makes some great rectifiers - I have 4 of them: 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5U4GB tall bottle, and 5AW4. I scored most of those for less than $10 and they sound terrific. The GB has depth layering like a $300 tube and it’s like $8. The tall bottle is a great balance for bright and airy tubes, especially with the HD600. Lots of solid EBay budget scores, if you’re patient.
I purchased some of those RCA 6BX7GTs, and they're quite good as well. I prefer the 6BL7, it has a touch more of something I seem to favor, but it's hard to figure out what.

I can recommend the TungSol 5U4GB. Seems to add a little more low end impact than the Westinghouse version I have, and the RCA 5U4G I have doesn't seem as sweet sounding. I haven't spent enough time with the IHA-1 to really pick out the differences between the rectifiers I have, mainly because I'm still rolling input tubes to best suit my tastes, but those are my initial impressions. I have a Brimbar 5R4 coming. Love those old English tubes!

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #5,537 of 9,763
I have a Brimbar 5R4 coming. Love those old English tubes!

Where did you order these from? I'm having a hard time finding them on eBay. I've heard it has great soundstage and clarity but is more of a flavor tube because it's lacking in bass and mids.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #5,538 of 9,763
Where did you order these from? I'm having a hard time finding them on eBay. I've heard it has great soundstage and clarity but is more of a flavor tube because it's lacking in bass and mids.
Ebay. It's shipping from Holland.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #5,539 of 9,763
Also, I've purchased from Brent Jessie before. Prices are pretty good.

http://www.audiotubes.com

He has black glass and clear glass KenRad VT-231 tubes. The clear glass ones came as extras with my IHA-1, and they sound very good. In my top 3.

He has rectifier tubes available, just shoot him an email to see what the choices are.

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #5,540 of 9,763

He has black glass and clear glass KenRad VT-231 tubes. The clear glass ones came as extras with my IHA-1, and they sound very good. In my top 3.

He has rectifier tubes available, just shoot him an email to see what the choices are.

I've noticed a lot more of these boutique sites springing up - I remember this one in my searches. He has good tone descriptions for each type that's matched all the research I've read about them. The KenRad Black glass ones I've heard are the best. It's rare to find a tube that can actually balance everything well (airy, non-fatiguing top end, rich mids, and a tight, impactful low end).

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #5,541 of 9,763
The ones with high ratings and return policies, basically.

One would think, but check this out. Look at his feedback,and now Google his name and see all the hate around the web for his pricing and BS.
Its stuff like that that makes me never want to buy tubes from eBay.

I like Brent,but many tubes I have asked for he doesnt have.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #5,542 of 9,763
Listening to this tonight thru my Atticus...Holy Hell,my skull is getting obliterated! \m/

JP+ZMF=:L3000:

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #5,543 of 9,763
Yeah I've heard great things about the KenRads. I was about to go all in on some RCA V-231's. I'm really just looking for a tube that will add some treble extension, air, and sparkle to the Atticus which would make it a lot more well rounded imo. I'll try your suggestion first. Thanks!

The RCA will not add what you are looking for IMHO.
The RCA is a warm and laid back tube. The VT231 just means that it was a tube made for the military, maybe more well built.

If you are looking for a driver tube to add air and sparkle...I would look more in the direction of a Sylvania tube, you can find some nice ones for not too much money,at least to try.
Maybe get both RCA and Sylvania and you can see for yourself

The Ken Rad with the staggered pins at the top have beautiful bottom end...quite addicting.

If your amp can use 25 volt driver tubes , then you can get those RCA black glass and Ken Rad black glass for much much cheaper and the 6/12/25 volt versions all sound the same.
The 25 volt tubes are usually labeled 1633.

I am not sure if the IHA-1 can use 12 or 25 volt tubes or not....maybe just 6 volt .

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #5,544 of 9,763
The RCA will not add what you are looking for IMHO.
The RCA is a warm and laid back tube. The VT231 just means that it was a tube made for the military, maybe more well built.

If you are looking for a driver tube to add air and sparkle...I would look more in the direction of a Sylvania tube, you can find some nice ones for not too much money,at least to try.
Maybe get both RCA and Sylvania and you can see for yourself

The Ken Rad with the staggered pins at the top have beautiful bottom end...quite addicting.

If your amp can use 25 volt driver tubes , then you can get those RCA black glass and Ken Rad black glass for much much cheaper and the 6/12/25 volt versions all sound the same.
The 25 volt tubes are usually labeled 1633.

I am not sure if the IHA-1 can use 12 or 25 volt tubes or not....maybe just 6 volt .

I got the RCA to balance out the Sylvania's. I mix and match even though a lot of people just get matched pairs. Since it's not splitting power between both sets (afaik lol) then for the preamps I usually put in a Sylvania and then a RCA to balance out the weaknesses of it and vice versa. That way I can make sure I have the most balanced sound.

I'm not sure what the amperage is but it's 600ma on the heater. The circuit was designed around 6SN7 tubes. Yea, that's what I've heard that the Black Glass Ken Rads have some of the best bass, besting some Westinghouses I've seen by a mile.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #5,545 of 9,763
One would think, but check this out. Look at his feedback,and now Google his name and see all the hate around the web for his pricing and BS.
Its stuff like that that makes me never want to buy tubes from eBay.

Google anything and you’re going to find people that are pissed off about it.

You should always do your homework and use caution in any online transaction. Use common sense. Make sure the item you’re buying is the one pictured. If you can build a decent understanding of the construction of tubes and marks that indicate authenticity, you don’t have much left to worry about.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #5,546 of 9,763
If you can build a decent understanding of the construction of tubes and marks that indicate authenticity, you don’t have much left to worry about.

Im trying Ringo...im tryin' real hard......

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #5,547 of 9,763
I commented earlier in this thread that I'd put suede Ori pads on the Atticus and that I didn't think they were coming off anytime soon.

I was wrong, I ended up switching back to stock pads last night. I prefer the stock sound, meaty bass and superchillsmooth treble.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #5,548 of 9,763
I commented earlier in this thread that I'd put suede Ori pads on the Atticus and that I didn't think they were coming off anytime soon.

I was wrong, I ended up switching back to stock pads last night. I prefer the stock sound, meaty bass and superchillsmooth treble.

I'm going to start calling you Henry.

200e9ec7f459bede358c0d7e7c7143ce.jpg

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #5,549 of 9,763

I ran into the same thing - you lose the microdynamics and the balls that make the Atticus special. It does help with air but not to the point where you think it's another headphone. I'd rather tube roll to balance the Atticus out more than pad swap. Plus, I think the Ori pads just feel smoother even though the Suede is incredibly soft.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #5,550 of 9,763
I ran into the same thing - you lose the microdynamics and the balls that make the Atticus special. It does help with air but not to the point where you think it's another headphone. I'd rather tube roll to balance the Atticus out more than pad swap. Plus, I think the Ori pads just feel smoother even though the Suede is incredibly soft.
I disagree - not only do I find the suede more comfortable (the Ori leather tends to get very hot, much more so than the lambskin LCD-2 pads for example), and even though I believe great sound starts and ends with great bass, I find the Atticus is just a touch too bloomy in the midbass with the leather pads, even for me. The suede pads don’t dull the bass - they just clear some of the bloom and reveal more of the sub bass - a good thing in my opinion. And the highs are still rolled off to never raise any issues. If anything they reveal more detail.

My only concern with the suede pads is that they possibly expose more of the upper mid “reverb” or glare that can make some sounds like piano or upper range female vocals sound a touch shrill. If that’s the case I’ll have to switch back to leather as I’m quite sensitive in this area. But if it means going back to the bloom, then maybe the bass-heavy Atticus isn’t quite the right fit, even for this bass lover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back