ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,961 of 9,720
From Zach:
I can confirm. Although I don't know about the Cherry or Padauk in terms of weight, the camphor is light. The headphones are very comfortable. As for the sound, once again I cannot compare, but I can say that Zach's description is accurate; the sound is very powerful, fast and fun, especially if you like to have a reasonable (not extreme) amount of bass in your music, something everyone should want :D

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,964 of 9,720
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,967 of 9,720
Ive been noticing a trend of other manufacturers selecting walnut.
Very nicely grained wood..
I wonder how a Walnut Eikon would look and sound..

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #3,968 of 9,720
Ive been noticing a trend of other manufacturers selecting walnut.
Very nicely grained wood..
I wonder how a Walnut Eikon would look and sound..

Does Maple Walnut fudge count?

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,969 of 9,720
Finally getting a chance to post some quick thoughts on the Eikon and Atticus in padauk:

The Eikon is perfect for my listening tastes out of a Jotunheim. Clean, clear, precise, and outrageously detailed, but never shrill, harsh, or uncomfortable on either the low or high end. Wow, Zach. Just...wow. I listened to Counting Crows' "August and Everything After" and heard all sorts of new details and nuance that I've never heard before. Magnificent! :beyersmile:

The Atticus is a blast! Lots of good, rumbly, happy-times low-end to make you bob your head, but it never gets uncontrolled or bloated. Again, phenomenal work! If the Eikon wasn't so dead-on to my listening preferences, these would be my cans of choice! :L3000:

So...anyone interested in snagging my Atticus? PM me if you are. The wife has cracked down and said "choose one set of high-end headphones." Actually, I think the exact words were "why do you need both of those?" :astonished:

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3,970 of 9,720
Finally getting a chance to post some quick thoughts on the Eikon and Atticus in padauk:

The Eikon is perfect for my listening tastes out of a Jotunheim. Clean, clear, precise, and outrageously detailed, but never shrill, harsh, or uncomfortable on either the low or high end. Wow, Zach. Just...wow. I listened to Counting Crows' "August and Everything After" and heard all sorts of new details and nuance that I've never heard before. Magnificent! :beyersmile:

The Atticus is a blast! Lots of good, rumbly, happy-times low-end to make you bob your head, but it never gets uncontrolled or bloated. Again, phenomenal work! If the Eikon wasn't so dead-on to my listening preferences, these would be my cans of choice! :L3000:

So...anyone interested in snagging my Atticus? PM me if you are. The wife has cracked down and said "choose one set of high-end headphones." Actually, I think the exact words were "why do you need both of those?" :astonished:

I have heard those exact words from my wife :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,971 of 9,720
Been using both the eikon and atticus with my emotiva dc-1 and nfb 1 amp at home. For work I run them off a chord mojo. Really love both headphones equally for different reasons. Zach nailed it in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3,973 of 9,720
Does anyone have any thoughts on how well an O2 dac/amp combo would run a pair of Atticus headphones. Would stepping up the dac/amp be worth the money with a pair of headphones of this caliber and if so are we talking like a 10% gain or a 1% gain?

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3,974 of 9,720
Does anyone have any thoughts on how well an O2 dac/amp combo would run a pair of Atticus headphones. Would stepping up the dac/amp be worth the money with a pair of headphones of this caliber and if so are we talking like a 10% gain or a 1% gain?

I'm not a huge fan of Solid State amps with the Eikon... they tend to make it sound a little looser than what it is,

Also I've got the LCD XC with me for a month or so and just initial impressions

having just a first listen [volume matched] the XC is quite shouty in comparison to the Eikon... it has a more solid bass! YAY Planar bass, but it lacks the mid rage tactility of the Eikon... I'm listening to Mile's Davis "So What" and I'm missing how each of the individual piano notes hit you on the Eikon, granted the XC is a bit more DYNAMIC with the horns, but again the Eikon's just a touch fuller with better tactility, I'm using a WireWorld Red Cable for the XC and I'm running out of the iCan Micro SE [Medium Gain]

Now I run my Eikon out of the Ember II at 35R, when I switch into the LCD XC at .1R on the Ember II [Volume matched]... I get some better tactility in the mid range but it's hit or miss on the Piano, the Horns aren't as shouty any more! But the bass is a little bit looser and the overall image starts to suffer :/ I loose some depth,

Still, So What is only one track of many... and the XC isn't... as tactile nor as resolving of texture as the Eikon... it's often a little smoother and shoutier/thin, in contrast to the Thicker but more texture'd Eikon... but I do like the Planar bass!

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #3,975 of 9,720
I owned the Audio Technica ATH-w3000anv, and to me the Eikon (Pauduk) is the greater , more musical can.

I also have to note that the Eikons can fool you,
Because they sound great right out of the box.
But in my testing, they opened up more after 3weeks to be more effortless and liquid sounding.
I assume it's the driver surround edge is what needs the break in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back