ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #3,496 of 9,733
I think the amp portion is the same and the DACs are the only difference, but i could be wrong. I have a Master 9, which is the same or very similar amp to both of the models you described. I just purchased it and am forming opinions, but I like it a lot so far. I should have my Eikon and Atticus fairly soon and will post my thoughts after they are fully broken in.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #3,497 of 9,733
  I have finally received my pair of Atticus earlier this week and so far I'm very impressed.  The Atticus sound like an improved version of the LCD-2 rev.2 and it's exactly the type of sound signature that I was looking for.

I'm planning to write a mini-review next week but I can already tell you that the Atticus are probably the most musical headphones that I have heard in my life.

Great looking pictures and high praise indeed as I know you have been kicking around headphones for quite some time. Enjoy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3,498 of 9,733
  you have the gungnir multibit. I would skip AGD all together. You don't need power with the Eikon, you need synergy and AGD is good for Zach to test the gear on because if it sounds punchy on that it should sound punchy on anything.  Otherwise I would take a sub 1K tube amp over even the 2.25k AGD HE-9, unless I just wanted space and clarity, otherwise it was downright boring and flat. 

Actually, I need two set ups : one for the living room and one for my bedroom. So I'm not gonna use the gumby with both cans. But I like the advice to choose another amp.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #3,500 of 9,733
The NFB model you mention has been really well reviewed and I thought about picking one up. I have a Hugo, though, and don't know that the DAC would be any sort of upgrade as the Hugo is fantastic. I am impressed by the amp, though! I would consider one of those for an all-in-one solution. The chassis is absolutely huge, though!

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #3,501 of 9,733
I noticed my left channel of the Eikon had no sound though the XLR cable. When I switched the cable connections (red cable to left and black to right) on the headphone, it was the right side that had no sound. That shows it is not the headphone. I tried the 1/4" jack and both channels play.

That means it is either the XLR output on the Milo or the XLR cable I received with my headphones. Without another XLR cable or another amp, I have no way to check. Any way to check with a continuity meter to determine which one is the problem? I am hoping it is the cable.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #3,502 of 9,733
I noticed my left channel of the Eikon had no sound though the XLR cable. When I switched the cable connections (red cable to left and black to right) on the headphone, it was the right side that had no sound. That shows it is not the headphone. I tried the 1/4" jack and both channels play.

That means it is either the XLR output on the Milo or the XLR cable I received with my headphones. Without another XLR cable or another amp, I have no way to check. Any way to check with a continuity meter to determine which one is the problem? I am hoping it is the cable.

You could check with a multi meter on the 1 and 3 pins of both mini XLR connectors. I can just send you a new cable though no probs, email me and I'll get it out.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 22, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #3,503 of 9,733
Stupid question but which side is right and left?

I was a little concerned when I first got my Eikon too...I knew the pads are supposed to be thicker in the rear, so that's what I went by. Then I realized the cords have to angle toward the front....there's really only one way to do it. I also noticed the "ZMF" was embossed on the right side of mine, so that helped too, although that might not be universal if the pics that  @YtseJamer posted is any indication...his is on the left.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,504 of 9,733
  I have finally received my pair of Atticus earlier this week and so far I'm very impressed.  The Atticus sound like an improved version of the LCD-2 rev.2 and it's exactly the type of sound signature that I was looking for.

I'm planning to write a mini-review next week but I can already tell you that the Atticus are probably the most musical headphones that I have heard in my life.

So have you experimented with the impedance and heard a difference?

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #3,505 of 9,733
You could check with a multi meter on the 1 and 3 pins of both mini XLR connectors. I can just send you a new cable though no probs, email me and I'll get it out.

Thanks Zach, in checking continuity, I found the right pins do have connectivity to the male XLR pins. There are left side pins that have no connectivity. I think it is the cable. I will PM you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #3,506 of 9,733
I'm taking a look at the Woo Audio WA22 thread. Seems to be a very interesting tube amp. Could be a good pairing with the Eikon ... And since I also plan to buy again a HD800 (s version of course), this amp is on my radar now ...

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3,508 of 9,733

So have you experimented with the impedance and heard a difference?

Not yet but I'm planning to experiment a bit today with different settings and tubes.

You were right about the synergy in between the Atticus and the Project Solstice. (I definitely don't hear the same sound quality when I'm using the Vali 2 with the Atticus)

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3,509 of 9,733
Who said that you need a $2000 tube amp to enjoy the Atticus ? 
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,510 of 9,733
I'm taking a look at the Woo Audio WA22 thread. Seems to be a very interesting tube amp. Could be a good pairing with the Eikon ... And since I also plan to buy again a HD800 (s version of course), this amp is on my radar now ...

The WA22 is awesome, but VERY sensitive to tube choices. The wrong pairings will make your headphones sound not so great, but the right ones can be epic.

Here is the best setup I have found for the Eikon and the Utopia:

Power: Tung Sol 5998
Driver: Sylvania 6SN7GT
Rectifier: USAF 596 with adapter

That said, the Eikon is less sensitive to amp choices than the Atticus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back