ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 23, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #3,511 of 9,748
So an update to further listening with my Auris HA2SE has it very competitive with my Mogwai. 

With Atticus and Eikon:

Mogwai (UPGRADED caps and tubes)
  1. Purer richer and heavier tones
  2. Better depth and layering
  3. More realism by a little bit sounding also a little more heavy and wet but refined and you can hear a little deeper into the music
  4. Slightly better resolution
  5. Slightly more transparent in the midrange
  6. Responds better to tube rolling and some tubes make it sound a lot more euphonic and bold than the Auris
  7. Larger images

Auris HA2SE (stock)
  1. Better treble extension and air
  2. The notes attack a little faster with a quicker decay
  3. Sounds a little less clean but is better with sensitive headphones
  4. Has faint hum when no music is playing
  5. Punches, kicks, snare thwacks and cymbals sound tighter and more focused
  6. Better microdynamics and macro dynamics but just a little bit (an area that the Mogwai already excels in)
  7. More neutral and flat in the midrange, less colored

I would take a stock Auris over a stock Mogwai as the Auris is 1599 shipped to my door and the Mogwai is 1850 but the Auris has better access of volumes, a remote, selectable inputs, and looks better, but even some of the characteristics like tone density and realism go to the Mogwai even stock. However, the Auris can be even more punchy except for in the bass where they are more or less equals. 

Yesterday the Atticus was knocking on the Auris and its 'veil' felt lifted. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,512 of 9,748
  Who said that you need a $2000 tube amp to enjoy the Atticus ? 
wink.gif

Good point...I've been enjoying my Eikon right out of my Dragonfly 1.2

Ike has NO RIGHT to sound as good as it does out of that...it's really good...engaging. Much better than I expected.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,513 of 9,748
  Good point...I've been enjoying my Eikon right out of my Dragonfly 1.2

Ike has NO RIGHT to sound as good as it does out of that...it's really good...engaging. Much better than I expected.

The Dragonfly is driving the Eikon? Really?

That's kind of amazing...on a 300 ohm headphone.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,515 of 9,748
  So an update to further listening with my Auris HA2SE has it very competitive with my Mogwai. 

With Atticus and Eikon:

Mogwai (UPGRADED caps and tubes)
  1. Purer richer and heavier tones
  2. Better depth and layering
  3. More realism by a little bit sounding also a little more heavy and wet but refined and you can hear a little deeper into the music
  4. Slightly better resolution
  5. Slightly more transparent in the midrange
  6. Responds better to tube rolling and some tubes make it sound a lot more euphonic and bold than the Auris
  7. Larger images

Auris HA2SE (stock)
  1. Better treble extension and air
  2. The notes attack a little faster with a quicker decay
  3. Sounds a little less clean but is better with sensitive headphones
  4. Has faint hum when no music is playing
  5. Punches, kicks, snare thwacks and cymbals sound tighter and more focused
  6. Better microdynamics and macro dynamics but just a little bit (an area that the Mogwai already excels in)
  7. More neutral and flat in the midrange, less colored

I would take a stock Auris over a stock Mogwai as the Auris is 1599 shipped to my door and the Mogwai is 1850 but the Auris has better access of volumes, a remote, selectable inputs, and looks better, but even some of the characteristics like tone density and realism go to the Mogwai even stock. However, the Auris can be even more punchy except for in the bass where they are more or less equals. 

Yesterday the Atticus was knocking on the Auris and its 'veil' felt lifted. 

Hum with Atticus? which is a 300ohm HP, which means if you use the Auris on other lower impedance headphones, the hum maybe much louder.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3,518 of 9,748
  Having trouble choosing between the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the Feliks Elise for the Atticus and Eikon. Decisions, decisions. 

As someone with an Eikon and a Mjolnir 2 (with some Miniwatt SQ tubes) I can say they pair really well together. Great bass extension, very dynamic, a little warmth with plenty of detail. I would definitely recommend them together.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,520 of 9,748
Having trouble choosing between the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and the Feliks Elise for the Atticus and Eikon. Decisions, decisions. 

An individual got the Elise and did not like it. I would go with the MJ2 out of the two.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #3,521 of 9,748
I think I'm going to go with the MJ2.

Now I'm having trouble choosing the wood. I ordered my Atticus in Paduak but I might change in to Cherry because of the weight savings. Has anyone heard the A or E in both woods? Is the difference in sound noticeable enough to make one preferable over the other. I'm not too concerned about aesthetics. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #3,522 of 9,748
I think I'm going to go with the MJ2.

Now I'm having trouble choosing the wood. I ordered my Atticus in Paduak but I might change in to Cherry because of the weight savings. Has anyone heard the A or E in both woods? Is the difference in sound noticeable enough to make one preferable over the other. I'm not too concerned about aesthetics. 

If aesthetics don't matter too much, cherry is just a little more lush, sweet, romantic, etc. Padauk is a little bit faster, more incisive, quicker to decay, etc. The differences are relatively small, so it really depends on how picky you are.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #3,524 of 9,748
Therefore, would you describe Paduak as being more exciting?

Not necessarily. It depends on the music and the surrounding gear. Either one could be exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back