ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,466 of 9,748
  OK Tyll only used the term twice, once referring to the soundstage:
"Imaging is not as deep as a good open headphone as it's slightly relaxed and not in your face in the presence are, giving it a comfortable, if veiled, perceived distance."

And

"Combined with the slightly laid-back or veiled presence region, I heard the treble as quite polite, lacking in some detail, but otherwise wonderfully free of any harshness, stridence, or annoying missbehaviour."

Most of his other references were more benign:

"I wouldn't say the bass bleeds into the mids so much as there is just an overall mild warm tilt on this headphone overall making them a relaxed listen."
"Response bass through mids is quite even, though the presence region is a little more relaxed than the rest of the spectrum giving the headphones a slightly distant sound."

In his comparisons, he was even more complimenatary...especially between Eikon & Utopia (WOF headliner that it is)

"I find myself more attracted to the Eikon for a relaxing listening session, especially if were talking about music of mixed recording quality where the Eikon will be more forgiving."

So I probably just have an issue with the term 'veiled'...that seems a bit too extreme to me, that's all. It was an overall positive review. I agree with most of his observations, he just doesn't feel this is a 'reference' headphone, because (if I understand him correctly) he's equating analytical headphones (I guess maximizing detail) with reference, so won't include it on the wall of fame. Somewhat understandable when taken in that context.

Interesting comments...think I detect a little condesension (probably not even conscious).

"relaxed listen" & "forgiving" (translation) "fun listening--but not a serious design"
(ie, doesn't accurately reproduce sound of a housefly farting during the symphony).

He's an interesting reviewer. Sometimes his bias for big-$$, "analytical/detailed" headphones shows; other times things are more complicated. For example, his review of E-MU Teak vs other Fostex designs & variants (ie, Denon AH D5000, Fostex TH900 MkII):
  1. He praised the warm/euphonic sound of the E-MU Teak over the others ("And now we move to liquid goodness....The tonality of the E-Mu Teak is splendid")
  2. And really came down on the TH900's ("Ouch! Holy smoke, these are bright. What the heck is going on?")

I think like most of us, Tyll is complicated...a little subjective. I also think he's attracted to the "shiny objects" -- big-$$, audio-jewelry designs like Utopia, Ether C Flow, etc. The latter got inducted into his HOF despite needing EQ to have acceptable bass (WTH?).

If there were a dozen headphone reviewers of his stature/exposure, the sonic biases of any one wouldn't matter much. I scour my trad high-end audio mags for headphone/desktop audio reviews: but those boys fall hard for extreme-priced, shiny-object designs (especially amps, where it has to cost min. $5K to get a smile).

ZMF, Atticus, and Eikon don't need defending. It's just that I keep seeing the tendency for reviewers to preferentially value pricey, non-euphonic, non-craftsman built headphone designs. Maybe Zach's mistake is not pricing the Eikon a lot higher & offering it in silver-anodised finish

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3,467 of 9,748
It seemed like a half-effort review on his part. He even said near the end of the video that if he had a week to compare the Eikon to the Ether her could offer a better opinion. I'm paraphrasing there, but still... If you need a week to compare, why didn't you?

I'd rather wait for a good review.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,469 of 9,748
It seemed like a half-effort review on his part. He even said near the end of the video that if he had a week to compare the Eikon to the Ether her could offer a better opinion. I'm paraphrasing there, but still... If you need a week to compare, why didn't you?

I'd rather wait for a good review.

It may not have been the most thorough review, but the results were pretty favourable nonetheless I thought.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,470 of 9,748
It may not have been the most thorough review, but the results were pretty favourable nonetheless I thought.

Was it? I guess.

I don't know how favorable a review can be when comparing the Eikon to the "world's best" open backed headphone and a smaller planar - both of which sound very different from the Eikon.

I feel favorable would result from a review which would have compared it to headphones the Eikon actually competes against like the LCD series, the Ethers, or the Z1R (to name a few).

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #3,471 of 9,748
Was it? I guess.

I don't know how favorable a review can be when comparing the Eikon to the "world's best" open backed headphone and a smaller planar - both of which sound very different from the Eikon.

I feel favorable would result from a review which would have compared it to headphones the Eikon actually competes against like the LCD series, the Ethers, or the Z1R (to name a few).

Favourable in that he seemed to really like the sound signature. In my mind what you compare against doesn't matter quite as much as what you think about the sound signature. I came away from the review with the sense that he really did like the Eikon quite a bit. I guess with all the gear he has and how much he keeps receiving it must be challenging to find adequate time for anything. I guess it is possible to have too much gear. Wish I had that problem, at least for a while.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,474 of 9,748
Tyll has his opinion, and you have your own. Instead of trying to defend your purchases by being mad at other people's opinions, why not listen to some actual music and enjoy the headphones.

I ignored his impressions the day an HD800 wasn't on his WoF, they don't represent me. You do the same. Its that simple.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,476 of 9,748
Sorry about that post,

I edited. Do me a favor and unquote me.

My opinion stands but I need to learn when to shut up

You're welcome to express your opinion all you want.  But I reserve the right to express a counter opinion if I don't agree with it.  No apology needed from you, and I apologize if I made you think it was necessary.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #3,477 of 9,748
Stupid question but which side is right and left?

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,479 of 9,748
Tyll has his opinion, and you have your own. Instead of trying to defend your purchases by being mad at other people's opinions, why not listen to some actual music and enjoy the headphones.

I ignored his impressions the day an HD800 wasn't on his WoF, they don't represent me. You do the same. Its that simple.

Just to quickly chime in, then we can all let it die...

I don't care if Tyll like the Eikons or not. I really don't. But he is Tyll F'ing Hertsens. Arguably the biggest name in headphone reviews, or at least the most visible. He should hold himself to higher standards in review quality. I know I do. It doesn't mean I suddenly dislike him, or will never read anything else he does from now on because he merely "likes" my favorite headphone and boohoo I'm so disappointed... that Schiit don't fly with me either.

The people who lean heavily on Tyll's review aren't getting quality information about the Eikon from that write up. No real idea what differentiates it from the Ether Flow C (the only valid headphone it was compared to). Most will just assume the Ethers are better and move on. Tyll has that much influence. That is what I'm not happy about.

Read everyone's comments up to now about how it was such good news that Tyll liked it. IDAGF. I want ZMF to get a fair shake from the most visible review site on the web, not some thrown together half-effort. He could have done valid comparisons against relevant headphones and said he HATED the Eikon and I'd have been happier.

I have more to say, but I'll stop there.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #3,480 of 9,748
Tyll is a big name but I think anyone who's been around Head-fi for a while knows whether they tend to agree with him or not and they read all his reviews with that in mind.  Back when I hadn't already heard most of the stuff he's reviewing, I knew his preferences and mine didn't match up and I tried to read around his preferences when possible.

Tyll's biggest strength is that he does tons of reviews and he's relatively consistent with his biases.  This lets anyone who's heard a few of the headphones he's reviews have a nice baseline from which to understand how his reviews will reflect their subjective opinions.  Whether he likes something or not overall is a lot less important than why he likes or doesn't like something.  For example, does he not like it because it's "too bright"?  Well I have a higher tolerance for brightness than he does so I might like it more than him.

So yeah, Tyll's reviews may sway some inexperienced folks in an unfair way.  But I think that anyone with a bit of experience under their belts should know how to calibrate to his reviews.  If you disagree with his review of the Eikon, figure out why and use that knowledge when you read his reviews of stuff you don't have.

BTW, this should go for pretty much any reviewer.  Find something they've reviewed that you have heard and see how well their opinion matches up with yours.  Use that when you read their other reviews.  What makes a good reviewer, in my humble and likely very biased opinion, is consistency.  As long as they're consistent, you can calibrate.  If they're all over the map with their opinions, they're pretty much useless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back