ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3,346 of 9,716
Apr 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,347 of 9,716
@Pharmaboy

Padauk Eikon and Bocote Ori.

After a few days of listening, there is at least something I figured out about the Ori : this thing needs power to shine ... I don't think my Mjolnir 2 is enough to show its true potential. I'm planning to upgrade to Ragnarok. Eikon is easier to drive but I think it will scale well with a better amp.

The Eikon is one of the most balanced headphones I have ever heard. Small V shape but with very solid mids. Could be one of the best allrounder if someone plans to have only one pair of headphones, except ... if you really want super smooth trebles. Good clarity and much more airy sound than the Ori. This last one has more weight and density in sub-bass / mid-bass (I like it for rap-pop), but Eikon is more refined overall. One thing I like about the Eikon, is the ability to "dose out" the amount of bass according to the track you are listening : a soft touch and little slam on "les courants d'air" by Grand tourism, and then the lower frequencies wake up on "Real talk" by Brains.

I'm not going further in my impressions because it only have been a few days of listening, ,but overall, i'm very please about the Eikon. The Ori will be a good second for some specific genres.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,349 of 9,716
http://earphiles.org/2017/04/totl-closed-headphone-shoot-out/

holly molly now i know for sure i want the atticus, I was also surprised to read the atticus has the 2nd biggest soundstage

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #3,352 of 9,716
  @Pharmaboy

Padauk Eikon and Bocote Ori.

After a few days of listening, there is at least something I figured out about the Ori : this thing needs power to shine ... I don't think my Mjolnir 2 is enough to show its true potential. I'm planning to upgrade to Ragnarok. Eikon is easier to drive but I think it will scale well with a better amp.

The Eikon is one of the most balanced headphones I have ever heard. Small V shape but with very solid mids. Could be one of the best allrounder if someone plans to have only one pair of headphones, except ... if you really want super smooth trebles. Good clarity and much more airy sound than the Ori. This last one has more weight and density in sub-bass / mid-bass (I like it for rap-pop), but Eikon is more refined overall. One thing I like about the Eikon, is the ability to "dose out" the amount of bass according to the track you are listening : a soft touch and little slam on "les courants d'air" by Grand tourism, and then the lower frequencies wake up on "Real talk" by Brains.

I'm not going further in my impressions because it only have been a few days of listening, ,but overall, i'm very please about the Eikon. The Ori will be a good second for some specific genres.

That bocote Ori gives me heart palpitations. Does the grain run vertically, or horizontally?

(you have 2 beautiful headphones)

I'll hear a cherry Eikon on Monday--balanced through multiple amps. I'm pumped.

Re power, the Ori is definitely requires power hog, like everybone says. But it's not s simple/linear thing. With any amp that has at least enough power (I'd guess ~1-2W balanced), the Ori doesn't automatically become a head-banging festival of gain...it's way too nuanced & subtle for fireworks. It just needs a certain amount of juice, and when it gets it, you start to really hear the amp & the music.

I find the Ori either scales up big-time--and/or becomes quite transparent/revealing of each an amp's qualities--depending on which amp I use. It always sounds great, SE or balanced. That HP has a lot of moves.

And maybe I'm kidding myself, but I never heard any genre sound in my music less than excellent on the Ori.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #3,353 of 9,716
A question which I suspect can't be answered as of yet, but I'm curious what people think. I am still quite interested in one of these, but my concern is the combination of the cup weight and the sliding mechanism. I wonder about the tension getting loose over time due to the narrow connection point and the weight of the cup. Is this not similar to the way Grado does things? I realise that with the prestige series at least it is a metal rod going into plastic, but for these headphones it looks to be metal, but is there a plastic disc inside where the rod slides through?

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,354 of 9,716

That bocote Ori gives me heart palpitations. Does the grain run vertically, or horizontally?

(you have 2 beautiful headphones)

I'll hear a cherry Eikon on Monday--balanced through multiple amps. I'm pumped.

Re power, the Ori is definitely requires power hog, like everybone says. But it's not s simple/linear thing. With any amp that has at least enough power (I'd guess ~1-2W balanced), the Ori doesn't automatically become a head-banging festival of gain...it's way too nuanced & subtle for fireworks. It just needs a certain amount of juice, and when it gets it, you start to really hear the amp & the music.

I find the Ori either scales up big-time--and/or becomes quite transparent/revealing of each an amp's qualities--depending on which amp I use. It always sounds great, SE or balanced. That HP has a lot of moves.

And maybe I'm kidding myself, but I never heard any genre sound in my music less than excellent on the Ori.

I specifically asked Zack for a vertical grains Ori :D !

It's not that the Ori is "bad" on some genre, it's just that I find the Eikon better overall. But because of his weight on the lower frequencies, I'll probably use the Ori for specific tracks
(like this one : https://soundcloud.com/shabringin88back/produced-by-sha-leik)

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3,356 of 9,716
  'getting an Eikon to complement my Sony Z1R (I'm a big fan of these now). Anyone else with the Eikon have the Sony (or is familiar with it)? Any comments? Thanks.

Yes the Z1R is quite the nice signature if it works for you. I'm also interested in one of these headphones. I am slightly concerned about the weight, but I didn't find the LCD 2F particularly uncomfortable, plus I don't tend to listen for more than an hour at a time if even that long. There is an Eikon owner with a Z1R who frequents the Z1R thread as well and he quite likes the Z1R. I get the sense that for his preferred signature the Eikon is closer, but he really likes the Z1R and has elected to keep it and uses it often as well.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,358 of 9,716
  Yes the Z1R is quite the nice signature if it works for you. I'm also interested in one of these headphones. I am slightly concerned about the weight, but I didn't find the LCD 2F particularly uncomfortable, plus I don't tend to listen for more than an hour at a time if even that long. There is an Eikon owner with a Z1R who frequents the Z1R thread as well and he quite likes the Z1R. I get the sense that for his preferred signature the Eikon is closer, but he really likes the Z1R and has elected to keep it and uses it often as well.

That might be me.  I love them both.  Eikon is awesome (reference warm), but the Z1R is also awesome as well in a different way (slight W shape sound with bass emphasis).  The Z1R is much more comfortable to wear for long periods because it is 200 grams lighter.  The Eikon is probably the better all-rounder for most genres though.  

Personally, I don't need all of my headphones to sound alike.  I like switching it up and enjoying the music.  The same song through different headphones can make you hear things you never heard, or enjoy it in a way you never had before.  And isn't that the point--having fun listening to music?

beyersmile.png

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #3,359 of 9,716
That might be me.  I love them both.  Eikon is awesome (reference warm), but the Z1R is also awesome as well in a different way (slight W shape sound with bass emphasis).  The Z1R is much more comfortable to wear for long periods because it is 200 grams lighter.  The Eikon is probably the better all-rounder for most genres though.  

Personally, I don't need all of my headphones to sound alike.  I like switching it up and enjoying the music.  The same song through different headphones can make you hear things you never heard, or enjoy it in a way you never had before.  And isn't that the point--having fun listening to music?

:beyersmile:

Indeed! For a good month or so I was doing a little experiment. Wear the Teak for a week, mental burn in would set in, listen a few days longer then switch to the Vibro, rinse and repeat with about 3 or 4 headphones. Once that mental burn in happens and you switch it's a whole new headphone all over again when you switch.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #3,360 of 9,716
Indeed! For a good month or so I was doing a little experiment. Wear the Teak for a week, mental burn in would set in, listen a few days longer then switch to the Vibro, rinse and repeat with about 3 or 4 headphones. Once that mental burn in happens and you switch it's a whole new headphone all over again when you switch.

I like doing this too, although I probably switch every other day. Gotta give all my babies some love or they get lonely. Right now I'm on a Z1R kick though. Out of the WA-8, they are sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back