ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 30, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #1,561 of 9,748
Anyone have any updates on the status of the ZMF Sonnare amp? Its been quiet, too quite these last few months. I really hope this project has not been shelved. 

Zach has stated before that it is not shelved.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #1,563 of 9,748
Anyone have any updates on the status of the ZMF Sonnare amp? Its been quiet, too quite these last few months. I really hope this project has not been shelved. 

There have just been a lot of back and forth iterations of it. As you would expect, Zach wants to make sure the final product kicks major ass.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,564 of 9,748
I finally decided on my setup and it uses up my budget. I will get a better amp at a later time when I am not buying a dac, speakers, monitor support arm (to get monitors off desk), etc. This setup will get me in the ball game and then I can later add a better amp.

2 JBL 305s $280
1 JBL 310 $373
1 Schiit Jot $500 (I would get the dac as a backup in case I need to send the bifrost in to Schiit)
1 Bifrost MB $599

With the desk changes and cables, this will get me to near my budget. Also, space will still be an issue, so the bimby footprint fits best at this time. If I don't like it, I can send them back and try the Mjolnir 2 and Jumby without penalty. I would rather spend less and get a Jot and then get a better OTL at a future date (Maybe Zach's amp when it is released).

This is still a significant upgrade for me over my current PC speakers.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,565 of 9,748
IMHO, I wouldn't waste the $100 on the Jot DAC.  It's pretty... entry level.  You're much better off using your QP1R as a source temporarily if you need a second one for whatever reason.

Otherwise, I think that's a fine choice.  Although I admit I'm curious why Schiit ended up back on the list but you're still not considering the Cavalli. But I'll live with that curiosity.  :-D

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,566 of 9,748
  IMHO, I wouldn't waste the $100 on the Jot DAC.  It's pretty... entry level.  You're much better off using your QP1R as a source temporarily if you need a second one for whatever reason.

Otherwise, I think that's a fine choice.  Although I admit I'm curious why Schiit ended up back on the list but you're still not considering the Cavalli. But I'll live with that curiosity.  :-D

Shhhhhh!

Just leave it be, a decision has finally been made!!! 
k701smile.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,567 of 9,748

I prefer to put the $400 difference (not getting dac card) between the Jotunheim and Cavalli in a growing stash for an OTL amp later. Also, the LC does not have preouts meaning I need to buy something else for the JBL speakers, so that adds additional money. Stay less expensive now allowing for a start in saving for an ampsandsound, ZMF, or DECware amp. This is my first desktop system and one needs to start somewhere.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,568 of 9,748
@ mwhals, you won't be alone on your ZMF/Jot combo.  Now, given the BIG caveat that I have not personally had the opportunity to audition the LC, after much reading and accessing of opinions across the www, I also opted for the Jot.  At half the cost without the internal dac, the price/performance factor between the two was too great to dismiss.  I must admit that I originally purchased it for pairing to my HD650.  It's always up to each individual how much one is willing to spend for an "upgrade" in sound.  For me, it did not seem worth the added expense.  As with most of us, I will have to patiently wait until our dynamics arrive before finding out if the Jot/ZMF pairing is as positive.

I just recently added the Modi Multibit to complete the Schiit desk/portable set up.  It's also a great little dac and matches well at a fairly reasonable price.  Once again, I have no personal experience with the Bimby but many have opined that the the Momby is a very, very close performer to its more expensive sibling.  Just more food for thought.

Going out on a limb, I expect that the Eikon will be a wonderful match for my ears, too!

And, as you mentioned, put the $ saved in the pot for the ZMF tube amp upgrade later on.    

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,569 of 9,748
I finally decided on my setup and it uses up my budget. I will get a better amp at a later time when I am not buying a dac, speakers, monitor support arm (to get monitors off desk), etc. This setup will get me in the ball game and then I can later add a better amp.

2 JBL 305s $280
1 JBL 310 $373
1 Schiit Jot $500 (I would get the dac as a backup in case I need to send the bifrost in to Schiit)
1 Bifrost MB $599

With the desk changes and cables, this will get me to near my budget. Also, space will still be an issue, so the bimby footprint fits best at this time. If I don't like it, I can send them back and try the Mjolnir 2 and Jumby without penalty. I would rather spend less and get a Jot and then get a better OTL at a future date (Maybe Zach's amp when it is released).

I would not get the DAC for the Jot ... it would be wasted money in my option... you can always later on upgrade (or install it yourself?)

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,570 of 9,748
I would not get the DAC for the Jot ... it would be wasted money in my option... you can always later on upgrade (or install it yourself?)

Pretty sure Schiit made it very clear there is nothing in the Jot that's user serviceable, including phono/dac upgrades.  =(   Which, if you think about shipping costs and the upgrade price of $150... 

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,571 of 9,748

Pretty sure Schiit made it very clear there is nothing in the Jot that's user serviceable, including phono/dac upgrades.  =(   Which, if you think about shipping costs and the upgrade price of $150... 

The DAC in the Jot is nothing special.  A Modi will do the same thing.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,572 of 9,748

Oh, sure. I agree, just didn't want people cracking open their Jots.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,573 of 9,748

I had actually decided against the built in DAC. I forgot that I could use the QP1R if the DAC needs shipped off for service or a firmware upgrade.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,575 of 9,748
I think you made a good choice for the Jot over the Cavalli. 

2 JBL 305s $280
1 JBL 310 $373
1 Bifrost MB $599

Good choice. Amp and all. 

The thing the Jot is missing is depth but otherwise it sounds cleaner and more controlled  than just about any amp under 1K and some over that price as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back