ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 30, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,577 of 9,763
I finally decided on my setup and it uses up my budget. I will get a better amp at a later time when I am not buying a dac, speakers, monitor support arm (to get monitors off desk), etc. This setup will get me in the ball game and then I can later add a better amp.

2 JBL 305s $280
1 JBL 310 $373
1 Schiit Jot $500 (I would get the dac as a backup in case I need to send the bifrost in to Schiit)
1 Bifrost MB $599

With the desk changes and cables, this will get me to near my budget. Also, space will still be an issue, so the bimby footprint fits best at this time. If I don't like it, I can send them back and try the Mjolnir 2 and Jumby without penalty. I would rather spend less and get a Jot and then get a better OTL at a future date (Maybe Zach's amp when it is released).

This is still a significant upgrade for me over my current PC speakers.

@ mwhals, you won't be alone on your ZMF/Jot combo.  Now, given the BIG caveat that I have not personally had the opportunity to audition the LC, after much reading and accessing of opinions across the www, I also opted for the Jot.  At half the cost without the internal dac, the price/performance factor between the two was too great to dismiss.  I must admit that I originally purchased it for pairing to my HD650.  It's always up to each individual how much one is willing to spend for an "upgrade" in sound.  For me, it did not seem worth the added expense.  As with most of us, I will have to patiently wait until our dynamics arrive before finding out if the Jot/ZMF pairing is as positive.

I just recently added the Modi Multibit to complete the Schiit desk/portable set up.  It's also a great little dac and matches well at a fairly reasonable price.  Once again, I have no personal experience with the Bimby but many have opined that the the Momby is a very, very close performer to its more expensive sibling.  Just more food for thought.

Going out on a limb, I expect that the Eikon will be a wonderful match for my ears, too!

And, as you mentioned, put the $ saved in the pot for the ZMF tube amp upgrade later on.    

This is where I'm (kinda) at right now too...I'm thinking of just getting a multi purpose Amp/Dac ( JDS Element/Mojo/ifi IDSD) and save for the good amp, but I was looking at the Jot for a desktop, maybe upgrading slowly to a Bifrost or something better as funds allow.

Decisions, decisions...

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #1,578 of 9,763
What balanced cables would be really good with ZMF Ori, Atticus, and Eikon? I would like to get one since it can be used for all three headphones.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #1,579 of 9,763
What balanced cables would be really good with ZMF Ori, Atticus, and Eikon? I would like to get one since it can be used for all three headphones.

I'd go with a pure silver or silver/copper cable. Trevor from Norne makes some high quality cables that are reasonably priced. I've got a Solv-X from them that I plan on partially using with my ZMF's.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,580 of 9,763
Dec 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,582 of 9,763
Partially? Just the left cup?

Yes, two cables one cup! 
o2smile.gif

I meant I also use them with my LCD-X's. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,584 of 9,763

Why don't you just order the balanced cable with the headphone?  I believe he uses nice DHC copper.

EDIT - To expand: cable differences exist but are small.  You're better off spending money on your amp or DAC than on an expensive cable at this point.  A basic balanced cable like Zach sells will let you take advantage of your balanced amp and it is guaranteed to sound good with your ZMF or Zach wouldn't sell them together.  Then you have more budget for other things that will impact the SQ more.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #1,585 of 9,763
Why don't you just order the balanced cable with the headphone?  I believe he uses nice DHC copper.

EDIT - To expand: cable differences exist but are small.  You're better off spending money on your amp or DAC than on an expensive cable at this point.  A basic balanced cable like Zach sells will let you take advantage of your balanced amp and it is guaranteed to sound good with your ZMF or Zach wouldn't sell them together.  Then you have more budget for other things that will impact the SQ more.

I can order one from Zach. All my headphones were ordered with 1/8" since I only have a QP1R. I still want them that way for the QP1R. The balanced cable would stay with the desktop setup. I can't leave my headphones out anyway as our cats might find them too fascinating.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #1,586 of 9,763

I don't know this from personal experience--but I've been researching this exact question. My goal is to be able to use either cable either balanced or SE. Both mfrs sell cable adapters allowing the nominally balanced cables to connect to a SE amp.

Lizuli AD for Audeze (cable): http://danacables.com/product/lazuli-ad/
Lizuli adapter: http://danacables.com/product/lazuli-adapter/

(this cable is expensive...learned of it from Dave Hansen on this string--he reviewed it in enjoythemusic.com)

For less than 1/2 the $$ (& still very well reviewed), Norne cables
(I list only the copper variants, not the Solv-X, which is silver/Litz--I don't care for the sound of silver cables):

Zoetic: http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Zoetic-occ-litz-carbon-core-multi-cu-cotton-audeze-ether-sennheiser-prime-he1000

Draug 2 (review linked below): http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Draug-occ-litz-multi-core-type-4-oppo-pm-1-2-sennheiser-hd700-audeze-lcd-3-x-xc-hifiman-he-5-9-560-hd800

REVIEW - Draug 2: https://headmania.org/2014/06/18/aftermarket-cables-for-sennheiser-hd800/

(tell me this reviewer's comments about the Draug 2 don't just scream "ATTICUS!!!")

And finally, Norne's "series-matching" short adapter to go from XLR to 6.35MM:
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-headphone-cable-cables-adapter-adapters-replacement-balanced-single-ended-astell-and-kern-trrs-sr71b-hifiman-3-5-mm-6-3-mm-sony-pha/Draug-v2-Series-Adapter-occ-litz-multi-core-type-converter-4-cu-8-conductor-24-wire

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #1,588 of 9,763

And BTW, I should explain my biases/experience in the matter of cables:

1 - I have heard differences between audio cables (interconnects, turntable cables & speaker cable) on occasion in various audio systems. The differences tend to be subtle--but even "subtle" changes in desirable directions such as decreased brightness, increased bass slam, enhanced soundstage--are pretty damned important.

2 - I have less experience with headphones (just 2 years vs decades of std audiophile stuff), but still have heard differences when changing stock cable to aftermarket. Again, the differences were subtle but most very welcome. After all, the whole point of using headphones is to really hear things more directly/intimately.

3 - And if I plunk down the shekels for an end-game headphone like the Atticus--and procure a balanced HP amp for it--I'm damn sure going to "stack the deck in my favor" by getting a good aftermarket cable. This is hardly a criticism of Zach's stock cables (which I haven't even heard yet)...but IMO it's just common sense to go the extra mile for any possible sonic benefit.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,589 of 9,763

And BTW, I should explain my biases/experience in the matter of cables:

1 - I have heard differences between audio cables (interconnects, turntable cables & speaker cable) on occasion in various audio systems. The differences tend to be subtle--but even "subtle" changes in desirable directions such as decreased brightness, increased bass slam, enhanced soundstage--are pretty damned important.

2 - I have less experience with headphones (just 2 years vs decades of std audiophile stuff), but still have heard differences when changing stock cable to aftermarket. Again, the differences were subtle but most very welcome. After all, the whole point of using headphones is to really hear things more directly/intimately.

3 - And if I plunk down the shekels for an end-game headphone like the Atticus--and procure a balanced HP amp for it--I'm damn sure going to "stack the deck in my favor" by getting a good aftermarket cable. This is hardly a criticism of Zach's stock cables (which I haven't even heard yet)...but IMO it's just common sense to go the extra mile for any possible sonic benefit.

It's not my intention to argue the benefits of cables.  But I think it's pretty widely accepted that spending more of your budget on other parts of your chain offer more bang for the buck.  If you have a Yggy/LAu/Atticus, sure grab a nice cable.  If you have a BMB/Jot/Atticus, there are probably better ways to spend that cable money.

Of course the caveat here is that I'm talking purely SQ.  There are always the other benefits of cables like length, weight, build quality, aesthetics, etc. that may make it worth your while.  YMMV etc.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,590 of 9,763
I made a XLR to 1/4" adapter for about $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back