ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #631 of 9,714
Would've been nice to tag it all American but usually it's more of the thought of keeping people here busy than QC - Asian QC has come a long way and really reflects on the company stamping it wit their name. And not only that, take a look at Audeze's driver mishaps all over the board. If it's American assembled then that takes care of the initial QC equation out and usually depends on the company's ideology.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #634 of 9,714
AAAHH!! Just fell on my ass laughing.

"Earcups lovingly made from carefully sectioned & assembled jellybeans. They sound sweet because they are sweet!"

Edible headphones! GENIUS!

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #635 of 9,714

I have been waiting for another 300 ohm headphone to finally come along, and now two of them have.

You, my friend, are an enabler. I talked to Zach again for the best match for an OTL, and he advised me that he's mainly been using the Atticus in Cherry as he enjoys its lush resolving nature. Certainly there aren't that many great headphones these days for OTL amps, and I've now decided that I have to try them both :)

Darn, I should just stick to listening more to my GEL3N, it would save me some coin with OTL. Just picked up a used T1 as well- I really like my DT880/600 with the Apex Teton, and I'm hoping the T1 goes one better.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #636 of 9,714
You, my friend, are an enabler. I talked to Zach again for the best match for an OTL, and he advised me that he's mainly been using the Atticus in Cherry as he enjoys its lush resolving nature. Certainly there aren't that many great headphones these days for OTL amps, and I've now decided that I have to try them both :)

Darn, I should just stick to listening more to my GEL3N, it would save me some coin with OTL. Just picked up a used T1 as well- I really like my DT880/600 with the Apex Teton, and I'm hoping the T1 goes one better.

I think you're going to really like the Atticus on the Teton. I will be keeping an eye out for the final verdict!

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #638 of 9,714
I would think both the Atticus & the Eikon would match wonderful with a nice OTL amp

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #639 of 9,714
  There is no way that pairing could be bad. Especially with some good tubes

I think you're going to really like the Atticus on the Teton. I will be keeping an eye out for the final verdict!

Hope so. I also like my GOTL (that's why I'm keeping it)- entirely different presentation. Nice to have options :D But anyway it's months away at least so I'm sure you two will have more to add in the meantime.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #640 of 9,714
Alright, since ya'll gonna be getting the latest and greatest from Zach, I thought I'd share a supplemental source for ya'll to assess strictly the soundstage, imaging, and other nuances in the performance of Atticus/Eikon, and compare it to Omni or other cans in your collection. I know you didn't ask, but it's worth a listen, and I hope you at least get an entertainment out of it.

About the source:

Each one of the sounds are recorded in high fidelity from their real life counterparts, that includes weapon shots of each unique guns, vehicles (land & air), environment ambience/weather, soldier gear, and footsteps all at various distances. They've designed the sound to be as realistic as possible as oppose to exaggerated sounds in the movies. They've won numerous awards for their sound design alone.

Youtube footages of this game is highly compressed, that includes the audio. However, my footage records audio at a higher resolution, and I've recorded specific scenarios to stress test your Atticus or Eikon with the rest of your headphones. The recordings are 1-3min long to keep file size down.

Format : PCM
Bit depth : 16 bits
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 6,144 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 192 KHz

(Strictly for Headphone consumption.)

1. Island and Storms 1 
  2. Island and Storms 2

1. Subway Station 1
  2. Subway Station 2

1. Night Time Mountain Alps 1
  2. Night Time Mountain Alps 2

1. Wide Open Hill Top

I play to this game using a Omni Blackwood and get an incredible audio experience, and it's an auditory overload if you haven't experienced it before. I haven't ordered an Atticus or Eikon yet, so I would love to know how they sound with this game. I would appreciate it if you listen to the audio recordings and share your comparisons.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #641 of 9,714
Nov 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #642 of 9,714
Would anyone be able to compare these (either, both) to the LCD-XC?

I just had an OMG-audio nirvana-type-moment last week at the NY Audio show.

They paired the Audeze with a Prism Audio Amp/Dac (I think the Callia) and I was utterly captivated. Just amazing.

If either of these come close to that...they will definitely become part of my headphone collection.

I just can't wait for Feb. (CanJam NYC)

I gotta hear these!!!

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #643 of 9,714

I would think both the Atticus & the Eikon would match wonderful with a nice OTL amp

Are you getting both

Well, I  have to save up some more cash to get just one of them...I could sell my Omni, but I just can not part with it .

When ever I get enough saved to buy one, I will....not sure which one yet.

After listening to the Omni, I am pretty sure I will quite enjoy either headphone.

Plus a lifetime warranty on the drivers and dealing with a guy like Zack...I am looking forward to hearing either headphone.

I have lots and lots of tubes so it should be a great time when ever  that time comes. 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #644 of 9,714
  Well, I  have to save up some more cash to get just one of them...I could sell my Omni, but I just can not part with it .

After listening to the Omni, I am pretty sure I will quite enjoy either headphone.

Plus a lifetime warranty on the drivers and dealing with a guy like Zack...I am looking forward to hearing either headphone.

I have lots and lots of tubes so it should be a great time when ever  that time comes. 
smile.gif

The ormosia henryi Omni...that's the one I lose sleep over. Still liking them? How do they sound with tubes? And which tube amps? I see a Little Dot in your list, but if I remember, there's another that you had made...?

In addition to jonesing over Omni's and the Atticus, I'm also thinking about eventually getting a tube HP amp (I need more trouble in my audio life!).

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #645 of 9,714

I have lots and lots of tubes so it should be a great time when ever  that time comes.  :smile:

If you are set on the Omnis maybe consider a transformer coupled amp. GEL3N perhaps, since you like Glenn's stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back