ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #466 of 9,714
  So who is the lucky SOB that won the free set?......
darthsmile.gif

So far just junk email ... I was hoping as well ...

Here is the announcement of the winner.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822894/zmf-atticus-and-eikon-official-announcement-and-give-away/165#post_12982455

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #467 of 9,714

No offense to the Empiric or any other DIY headphones (sorry I don't consider the Eikon or Atticus DIY what-so-ever), but the driver used in those is far inferior to what we are using in the Atticus and Eikon. I have tried these drivers and while they are OK, they are not close to the sonic capabilities of the Atticus and Eikon drivers.  Do remember though headphone drivers are only part of the equation and I'm sure the Empiric got every ounce out of that driver as design is a huge part of how a headphone will sound, that headphone looks REALLY awesome with a great design.  Drivers are important, but without proper implementation any driver will sound ghastly.

Our drivers were completely tuned and designed for a specific sound from the ground up (even if the Atticus driver looks more boring than the Eikon driver), and while the driver in the "Empiric" is cool, it's an off the shelf driver bought from Alibaba, not one that was tuned and re-tuned with design changes and then new moulds made for a specific goal which we went through with both the Atticus and Eikon drivers.

I didn't share more pictures of the final Atticus TPE driver because all the final versions are in full headphones as this picture is from a previous version (but very similar.)  I will post new pics once a few more driver sets come in from our MFR.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to devalue your work. I'm a big fan of your tuning as I still have my ZMF Omni Blackwood from the pre-order period and still enjoy it. I'm pretty excited for your new non-mod headphones. One more question to bother you with though, in terms of bass quality, how does your dynamic drivers compare to planar driver bass? Do you think they stack up against a good planar magnetic headphone such as your ZMF Omni Blackwood? It's hard to tell from your current photos of your drivers, but the Eikon driver looks relatively flat in terms of its shape so I would imagine it can emit a flatter wave similar to a planar driver headphone as oppose to a cone wave which most dynamic drivers produce.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #470 of 9,714
time to preorder!!!!!!

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #471 of 9,714
bought the cherry ekion!!!

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #473 of 9,714
Paypal option missing?

EDIT:  nevermind, I'm blind...

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #475 of 9,714
the paypal option didn't leave an option to change shipping but i suppose if it's going to be a waiting game before they ship out anyways then not necessary although i planned on trying to stretch a little to get it quicker lol.  also the paypal option didn't give me the ability to leave a note asking for a more factory like finish.  Honestly i'd rather just take what ever will get here quicker.  Cherry Eikon here too

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #476 of 9,714
My QP1R has a 3.5 mm headphone jack that is not balanced. I do not see that option. I only see the 3.5 mm balanced option.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #480 of 9,714
Pre-ordered the Padauk Eikon, why is everyone and their momma getting the cherry?

for me it's because the wife thinks the cherry was $950 and the wife also thinks i sold my lcd for $950 so she thinks i'm only paying for shipping but really i had to spend $100 more than she knows about lol 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back