ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #961 of 9,719
Could always be worse aye?  At least I didn't print OMNI all over every headphone.

Oh, it could always be worse. Just always be glad it isn't! :wink:

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #962 of 9,719

Don't forget the web URL changes too :wink: 

That new name thread is too funny . I went with Dalliance as its a brief romantic encounter. Anyway sometimes i see it that way, as we're always looking for new flavors.

True fact on both accounts.  I like that name actually, but as I have told others, my wife will choose the final winner. 
cool.gif

@ Zach How does the Atticus and Eikon sound in comparison to the TH-X00?

Yeah - I can't comment on this, sorry!

Don't forget the web URL changes too :wink: 

O boy, my wife better choose a good name!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #963 of 9,719
I am now wondering if I should also get a THNFKATO even though I have an Eikon and Atticus on order.

Yes. You must hear all the things.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #964 of 9,719
True fact on both accounts.  I like that name actually, but as I have told others, my wife will choose the final winner.  :cool:

Didn't know this. Should make things easier.

Zmf the notebook
Zmf kittens
Zmf noshavenovember #grizzadamsaintgotnothingonmyhusband
Zmf christmasmovies
Jk

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #967 of 9,719
@ Zach How does the Atticus and Eikon sound in comparison to the TH-X00?

The Eikon is very different from the TH-X00. It is relatively linear, but warmer than neutral. It is very spacious and 3D sounding. Great subbass and nice fast transients as others have noted.

The Atticus bears some resemblance to the Fostex, in that it has extremely powerful and impactful bass, but the Atticus has WAY, WAY better mids and a much more refined sound, IMHO. I just received a pair with the final drivers yesterday and vocals are shockingly good on it.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #970 of 9,719
The Eikon is very different from the TH-X00. It is relatively linear, but warmer than neutral. It is very spacious and 3D sounding. Great subbass and nice fast transients as others have noted.

The Atticus bears some resemblance to the Fostex, in that it has extremely powerful and impactful bass, but the Atticus has WAY, WAY better mids and a much more refined sound, IMHO. I just received a pair with the final drivers yesterday and vocals are shockingly good on it.

I ordered the Eikon Padauk. 

Do you think the HD800 or the Focal Elear would be a better complement for it? Trying to have one closed and one open headphone to have good coverage for most musical genres, watching movies, and playing video games.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #971 of 9,719
I ordered the Eikon Padauk. 

Do you think the HD800 or the Focal Elear would be a better complement for it? Trying to have one closed and one open headphone to have good coverage for most musical genres, watching movies, and playing video games.

It kinda splits the difference between the two in some ways. It really depends on whether you prefer a darker or a lighter sound. I would also say it depends on your amplification, source and budget. The HD800 is punishingly revealing - if you even have a bad RCA cable in your chain it can be a little nasty (YMMV). IMO, it takes about $2k to make it sound really good - a Chord Mojo + Cavalli Liquid Carbon combo + some good cables will really get the job done with the HD800 (obviously there are other options too, I just wanted to provide an example). The Focal Elear, on the other hand, is far less picky. Of the above equipment one would only need the Mojo to tap into a large chunk of its performance.

At the end of the day, the Eikon is going to be a fantastic change of pace for either one.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #972 of 9,719
It kinda splits the difference between the two in some ways. It really depends on whether you prefer a darker or a lighter sound. I would also say it depends on your amplification, source and budget. The HD800 is punishingly revealing - if you even have a bad RCA cable in your chain it can be a little nasty (YMMV). IMO, it takes about $2k to make it sound really good - a Chord Mojo + Cavalli Liquid Carbon combo + some good cables will really get the job done with the HD800 (obviously there are other options too, I just wanted to provide an example). The Focal Elear, on the other hand, is far less picky. Of the above equipment one would only need the Mojo to tap into a large chunk of its performance.

At the end of the day, the Eikon is going to be a fantastic change of pace for either one.

Thanks. Definitely leaning towards the Elear then. Zach needs to open up a shop here in CA so I can demo his cans :D

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #973 of 9,719
I have the Eikon pads on my E-MU Teak. Best pads for them by a long shot. Previous best were the THNFKATO (Omni) pads. The slightly thinner Eikon pads put my ears right in a sweet spot distance from the driver.

Eikon pads = God pads for Fostex variants, IMO.

Have you tried eikon pads on th900, wonder how that would turn out, ppl tends to prefer angled pads on the 900

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #974 of 9,719
Have you tried eikon pads on th900, wonder how that would turn out, ppl tends to prefer angled pads on the 900

I have not, as I don't own a pair of 900's. If someone wants to ship me a pair, if be happy to test it... And keep them.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #975 of 9,719

Wow. Everything I hear about the Atticus--and particularly this msg--make me want them. They sound perfect for my tastes.

But that's the problem...because so does the HPFNAO (the headphone formerly known as Omni). And all woods are discounted from now until 12/15.

What a dilemma: buy an HPFNAO now (I've been jonesing for one all year)? Or wait til 1st or 2nd quarter of 2016 in the hope the Atticus will be available in add'l woods?

(damn)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back