ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #976 of 9,716

Wow. Everything I hear about the Atticus--and particularly this msg--make me want them. They sound perfect for my tastes.

But that's the problem...because so does the HPFNAO (the headphone formerly known as Omni). And all woods are discounted from now until 12/15.

What a dilemma: buy an HPFNAO now (I've been jonesing for one all year)? Or wait til 1st or 2nd quarter of 2016 in the hope the Atticus will be available in add'l woods?

(damn)

Go to internet.  Find bank.  Get another credit card.  Buy Both.

Problem solved!

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #977 of 9,716

Problem solved!

"I took out a second mortgage on my house..."

"Why'd you do that?"

"Stupid Head-Fi"

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #978 of 9,716

"Why'd you do that?"

"Stupid Head-Fi"

Ohh, you must have done my suggestion a few too many times.

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #979 of 9,716

Problem solved!

LMAO!

But I had a better idea. I knocked over a liquor store. Always wanted to do it. My BB gun looks so real. I got $46.

My lawyer asked me (during visiting hours) why I did such a crazy thing. I adjusted my orange jumpsuit and proudly replied: "The lush, euphonic ZMF Atticus--THAT'S why!"

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #980 of 9,716

Problem solved!

I bought Eikon, Atticus and am thinking of getting Omni. Cash for all of them thanks to saving up for such purchases.

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #981 of 9,716

"Why'd you do that?"

"Stupid Head-Fi"

LMAO!

But I had a better idea. I knocked over a liquor store. Always wanted to do it. My BB gun looks so real. I got $46.

My lawyer asked me (during visiting hours) why I did such a crazy thing. I adjusted my orange jumpsuit and proudly replied: "The lush, euphonic ZMF Atticus--THAT'S why!"

I bought Eikon, Atticus and am thinking of getting Omni. Cash for all of them thanks to saving up for such purchases.

I think Zach is going to need Presidential recognition for single handedly kick starting the economy.

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #982 of 9,716
Hey Zach (or whomever has been fortunate enough to demo these cans), I had a question about the color/finish of the cherry wood...

The website images feature a very deep, rich red color whereas every photo of cherry Omnis (HPFNAO) I have seen are of a much more neutral tan color (see below for comparison). Is the cherry used for the Atticus/Eikon as deep a red as the website photos depict or has the saturation just been boosted to accentuate the color? (Disclaimer: I realize the natural variations of wood can result in differing shades, etc.)

The reason I ask is I think I would prefer the lighter weight of the cherry, however I prefer the more neutral color of the Padauk... so if the cherry was actually less red in person that would be a plus for me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #983 of 9,716
Hey Zach (or whomever has been fortunate enough to demo these cans), I had a question about the color/finish of the cherry wood...

The website images feature a very deep, rich red color whereas every photo of cherry Omnis (HPFNAO) I have seen are of a much more neutral tan color (see below for comparison). Is the cherry used for the Atticus/Eikon as deep a red as the website photos depict or has the saturation just been boosted to accentuate the color? (Disclaimer: I realize the natural variations of wood can result in differing shades, etc.)

The reason I ask is I think I would prefer the lighter weight of the cherry, however I prefer the more neutral color of the Padauk... so if the cherry was actually less red in person that would be a plus for me :)

The Red is the Padauk. The Tan is the Cherry.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #985 of 9,716
Oh boy! I'm very happy and slightly embarrassed. Thanks for clearing that up

Just one point about cherry--discussed several times in this string--cherry naturally darkens somewhat over time, a result of exposure to UV radiation in sunlight. Cherry turns a rather beautiful medium brown hue that I prefer vs the tan color of new cherry.

It's possible to stop this darkening by storing the headphones away from light, but IMO that's crazy. I think cherry gets more beautiful & interesting when it darkens.

BTW, this same darkening effect happens to most woods, to at least some degree. But cherry is well known for how evenly and prettily it darkens.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #986 of 9,716
Just one point about cherry--discussed several times in this string--cherry naturally darkens somewhat over time, a result of exposure to UV radiation in sunlight. Cherry turns a rather beautiful medium brown hue that I prefer vs the tan color of new cherry.

It's possible to stop this darkening by storing the headphones away from light, but IMO that's crazy. I think cherry gets more beautiful & interesting when it darkens.

BTW, this same darkening effect happens to most woods, to at least some degree. But cherry is well known for how evenly and prettily it darkens.

I don't think it will ever get as dark as Paduk though. The brown is still lighter than the Paduk red.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #987 of 9,716
I don't think it will ever get as dark as Paduk though. The brown is still lighter than the Paduk red.

You're absolutely right. The 2 woods are totally different.

Raw cherry is on the brown continuum, starting out tan/very lt. brown, then becoming medium brown, subtle & rich. Raw padauk is on the brown/red continuum--lt. to medium brown w/a red cast. I haven't seen aged/darkened padauk, but I've heard it becomes more of a cordovan color--rich red/brown.

And it may be that some naturally darker woods don't darken as significantly as cherry. I'd have to do research that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back