ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 9, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #7,891 of 9,714
We've got a LTD Eikon and Atticus coming up in November. It's a good one!

Ooooo! This will be my first ZMF if the wood strikes me! I was looking at the range the other day. I really wanted closed headphone.

Oct 9, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #7,892 of 9,714
Is the Eikon as rich as the Atticus or closer to the Autuer?
My experience just now with the Atticus has made me deeply regret selling my Autuers to buy the 299D, yet if I hadn't bought the 299D I wouldn't have been able to experience the full power of the Atticus. These really do love tubes and this might be the greatest headphone for vinyl+tube listening (recording and instrument dependent).

My only gripe is that the soundstage could be bigger and it could be more detailed. Me thinks, if the Eikon is in the neighborhood of the Atticus's richness with the detail and width of the Autuer it may be my perfect ZMF.
I feel like the Eikon sits nicely in between the Atticus and Auteur. It's noticeably warmer than the Auteur, but not as warm as the Atticus. It has a more balanced/flatter presentation than the Atticus. The Atticus has good subbass, very powerful and forward mids, and a top end rolloff. The Eikon shifts the midbass emphasis down more into the subbass region. It also has more presence up top. So it is flatter in that it pushes down the midbass hump of the Atticus, and adds more to the very bottom and very top. It's airier sounding. The Auteur takes the Eikon's balance further, giving you a more neutral signature with even less emphasis anywhere.

From top to bottom I always felt the Auteur was one of the best balanced and seamless headphones i've heard. Nothing stands out to me, and it's not clinical or dry/boring. For me personally, my favorite ZMF combo would be the Atticus and Auteur. I also sold my Autuer to fund support equipment, and regret it immensely. Though I do have the Eikon, I'm definitely getting another Auteur when funds permit.

Oct 9, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #7,893 of 9,714
I feel like the Eikon sits nicely in between the Atticus and Auteur. It's noticeably warmer than the Auteur, but not as warm as the Atticus. It has a more balanced/flatter presentation than the Atticus. The Atticus has good subbass, very powerful and forward mids, and a top end rolloff. The Eikon shifts the midbass emphasis down more into the subbass region. It also has more presence up top. So it is flatter in that it pushes down the midbass hump of the Atticus, and adds more to the very bottom and very top. It's airier sounding. The Auteur takes the Eikon's balance further, giving you a more neutral signature with even less emphasis anywhere.

From top to bottom I always felt the Auteur was one of the best balanced and seamless headphones i've heard. Nothing stands out to me, and it's not clinical or dry/boring. For me personally, my favorite ZMF combo would be the Atticus and Auteur. I also sold my Autuer to fund support equipment, and regret it immensely. Though I do have the Eikon, I'm definitely getting another Auteur when funds permit.

Posts like this are why I think the Eikon is the perfect ZMF for me. If the Eikon has more subbass and less midbass than the Atticus with the technicalities of the Autuer, than its all of the sound signature that I am hoping for.
Yes, I agree the Autuer has near perfect balance, I said that in the Autuer thread as well. It's no surprise that the disappear every time the show up in the for sale section.
I'm tempted to keep the Atticus seeing as I regret selling the Autuer and the bombastic warmth of the Atty is almost perfect for any and all acoustic based music, but I probably can't afford having both the Eik and the Atty in my collection without selling other cans. I have a pair of African Wenge cups coming for my TH600 soon so I'll at least wait until after they've come in to do a comparison.

Hell, my birthdays in November, I might be able to convince myself that I've been a good boy and that retail therapy is the only way I can assuage the trauma of the lockdown...

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #7,894 of 9,714
Posts like this are why I think the Eikon is the perfect ZMF for me. If the Eikon has more subbass and less midbass than the Atticus with the technicalities of the Autuer, than its all of the sound signature that I am hoping for.
Yes, I agree the Autuer has near perfect balance, I said that in the Autuer thread as well. It's no surprise that the disappear every time the show up in the for sale section.
I'm tempted to keep the Atticus seeing as I regret selling the Autuer and the bombastic warmth of the Atty is almost perfect for any and all acoustic based music, but I probably can't afford having both the Eik and the Atty in my collection without selling other cans. I have a pair of African Wenge cups coming for my TH600 soon so I'll at least wait until after they've come in to do a comparison.

Hell, my birthdays in November, I might be able to convince myself that I've been a good boy and that retail therapy is the only way I can assuage the trauma of the lockdown...
Best of luck (and happy early Birthday). As a previous Eikon owner, I'll tell you I sure do miss it. I only sold it because I was listening to it less than it deserved. Mostly because it's a closed back headphone, and also because I fell in love with my Aeolus. You won't really know if it's a good fit until you hear it, but I have a suspicion from your preferences that you'll like it. The Eikon does use the same driver as the Auteur, so the timber will be all but the same too.
Again, best of luck.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #7,895 of 9,714
Best of luck (and happy early Birthday). As a previous Eikon owner, I'll tell you I sure do miss it. I only sold it because I was listening to it less than it deserved. Mostly because it's a closed back headphone, and also because I fell in love with my Aeolus. You won't really know if it's a good fit until you hear it, but I have a suspicion from your preferences that you'll like it. The Eikon does use the same driver as the Auteur, so the timber will be all but the same too.
Again, best of luck.
I've always liked closed backs actually, even though I live by myself and isolation isn't that important. You also raised why I can't rationalize having more than seven headphones (one portable, six for at home), I just can't justify having that many expensive headphones unused at the same time. Really, I can't afford it.
I might put my Atticus up for trade after the wenge cups get in. Also, Zach did hint at an awesome LTD Eikon come November; that's when the B-stock sale is as well right?

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #7,896 of 9,714
I've always liked closed backs actually, even though I live by myself and isolation isn't that important. You also raised why I can't rationalize having more than seven headphones (one portable, six for at home), I just can't justify having that many expensive headphones unused at the same time. Really, I can't afford it.
I might put my Atticus up for trade after the wenge cups get in. Also, Zach did hint at an awesome LTD Eikon come November; that's when the B-stock sale is as well right?
IIRC he said a new LTD is coming yeah...he always picks awesome woods. He does usually have his B stock sale in November, but I'm not sure that he has much B stock available these days!

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #7,897 of 9,714
IMO pretty much any-wood Eikon is an amazing Eikon IMHO. I've heard the cherry Eikon at great length IMS; and owned a lovely padauk Eikon until a few months ago. Both impressed me greatly. I've also heard various other Eikons at shows.

I've been moving away from closed backs for some time...that's why I sold the Eikon. But that dramatic, dynamic sound lives on in memory.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #7,898 of 9,714
I've basically read through this ENTIRE thread but I'm still a little confused as too whether a Atticus or Eikon would suit my preferences.

My top Genres are:
-Hip/Hop, Rap, POP. (What you typically see on Spotify top charts
-EDM (Deadmau5, Daft Punk, ETC)
-Punk rock, Alt Rock, Metal.

I really like headphones that have a fair bit of slam and impact in the bass region. I seem to hear mixed reviews on whether the atticus or eikon have that really punchy bass that shakes your head.

Also, I will be using Tidal as my source.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #7,899 of 9,714
I've basically read through this ENTIRE thread but I'm still a little confused as too whether a Atticus or Eikon would suit my preferences.

My top Genres are:
-Hip/Hop, Rap, POP. (What you typically see on Spotify top charts
-EDM (Deadmau5, Daft Punk, ETC)
-Punk rock, Alt Rock, Metal.

I really like headphones that have a fair bit of slam and impact in the bass region. I seem to hear mixed reviews on whether the atticus or eikon have that really punchy bass that shakes your head.

Also, I will be using Tidal as my source.

Atticus owner here.

First question, what do you have as an amp right now?

Given that you are listening to pop chart rap and not backpack rap as well as rock/metal I think the Atticus will be a better choice. The Atticus has a punchy midbass that is very satisfying and a rolled off treble that'll make it forgiving of brighter/poorly mastered music. However, you might not like it for edm because of its "frowning" sound signature; I bought mine from someone who didn't like it with EDM for precisely this reason.

I have the TH600 to compare the Atty with and the Atty doesn't have the same cavernous subbass rumble but it hits harder in the midbass. Put simply, I would take the Atticus for Kendrick but the TH600 for Disclosure.

If you give me a couple songs from each genre I can give a more thorough comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #7,900 of 9,714
Atticus owner here.

First question, what do you have as an amp right now?

Given that you are listening to pop chart rap and not backpack rap as well as rock/metal I think the Atticus will be a better choice. The Atticus has a punchy morass that is very satisfying and a rolled off treble that'll make it forgiving of brighter/poorly mastered music. However, you might not like it for edm because of its "drowning" sound signature; I bought mine from someone who didn't like it with EDM for precisely this reason.

I have the TH600 to compare the Atty with and it doesn't have the same Cavernous subbass rumble but it hits harder in the midbass. Put simply, I would take the Atticus for Kendrick but the TH600 for Disclosure.

If you give me a couple songs from each genre I can give a more thorough comparison.

For amps I currently have a iFi DSD micro, but I plan on getting a tube amp (looking at some woo stuff).

Id say quite a bit of what i listen to is mastered well and is a high quality source (Tidal) while I do use Spotify if I'm just plugging right into my phone. I don't plan on doing that with the Atticus.

I've also listened to the HD6xx which I actually really liked the lush mids, and the LCD 2, and LCD x. Didn't really love the LCD x because of the weird ish mids and the sometimes peak highs. I am sure EQ could fix all of that but I would prefer to have my first TOTL headphone not be something I have to EQ to death.

For the pop/rap stuff some other examples:
-Green, Rain Check, and Captions by Eventide.
-Post Malone, DaBaby, Drake, Pitbull,Pitfall, some newer Ed sheeren stuff.
-the Weeknd (one of my favorites).
-2pac, YG, Eminem, etc.

EDM wise:
-Disclosure is up there.
-DJ Snake
-NGHTMARE remixes
-Marshmello
-Infected Mushroom

Rock/Metal
-New Machine Gun Kelly Stuff
- Mayday Parade, simple plan, fall out boy, panic at the disco.
-lamb of God, as i lay dying, five finger death punch.

Hopefully that helps? I really think the Eikon or Atticus are the way i want to go (and I may just buy both eventually but need somewhere to start).

Thanks for your help!

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #7,901 of 9,714
For amps I currently have a iFi DSD micro, but I plan on getting a tube amp (looking at some woo stuff).

Id say quite a bit of what i listen to is mastered well and is a high quality source (Tidal) while I do use Spotify if I'm just plugging right into my phone. I don't plan on doing that with the Atticus.

I've also listened to the HD6xx which I actually really liked the lush mids, and the LCD 2, and LCD x. Didn't really love the LCD x because of the weird ish mids and the sometimes peak highs. I am sure EQ could fix all of that but I would prefer to have my first TOTL headphone not be something I have to EQ to death.

For the pop/rap stuff some other examples:
-Green, Rain Check, and Captions by Eventide.
-Post Malone, DaBaby, Drake, Pitbull,Pitfall, some newer Ed sheeren stuff.
-the Weeknd (one of my favorites).
-2pac, YG, Eminem, etc.

EDM wise:
-Disclosure is up there.
-DJ Snake
-NGHTMARE remixes
-Marshmello
-Infected Mushroom

Rock/Metal
-New Machine Gun Kelly Stuff
- Mayday Parade, simple plan, fall out boy, panic at the disco.
-lamb of God, as i lay dying, five finger death punch.

Hopefully that helps? I really think the Eikon or Atticus are the way i want to go (and I may just buy both eventually but need somewhere to start).

Thanks for your help!

I picked three songs that I am familiar with from your artist list:

Marshmello, Ookay feat Noah Cyrus- Chasing Colors [Wide soundstage, layer of distortion that follows the bassline but is separate from the bass itself. Great for staging and distortion test]

TH600- The soundstage width, height and depth is more apparent, it also has much better image placement. The voice singing at the start is more brash, almost harsh but all of the various soundscape elements pop more. The midrange dip of the TH600 makes it thinner but imo, fits the song better; the buzzsaw distortion over the bassline has more bite to it compared to the Atticus. Sounds faster.
Atticus- Soundstage collapses, vocals are more present and in your head, bass has less low impact. Song has a good sense of bounce, but there is less rumble. Top end is much nicer, the brash and aggressive grate of the TH600 is really apparent. The distortion texture is less buzzsaw more overdriven amplifier. The midrange body helps the song seem a little more musical and less frenetic. Definitely less subbass.

2Pac et al.- Got my mind made up [Xylophone for imaging, punchy midbass for rhythm, layering, gruff male voices]

TH600- Crisp, dry, very sparse, all vocalists are dead center of your nose speaking into your head. Chirps are well layered while the xylophone is reasonably distant in the soundstage. Rappers sound thin and a bit transparent. Treble harshness is tolerable but apparent, but the kickdrum hits harder. The wider soundstage and treble bite give everything an interesting (almost sinister) edge vs the Atticus smoothnes. Meths intake of breath has a better rasp.
Atticus- Very black background, bass has a more organic sound. Smaller soundstage with the voices being in the center of your head between your ears. Everyone sounds more human, but also sound a little more layered into the sound. Xylophone is closer to your ear but has a more melodious tone, chirp is less apparent. Meths drawl is smoother and lower in the mix, room reverb is more natural.

Fall Out Boy- Sugar, we're going down [Speed, cleanliness, detail]

TH600- Top end is a little to close to harsh the whole way through, lead singers sometimes comes out nice and clear but the harshness of the recording shows. Background vocals sound better separated from each other; when the lead guitarist starts the chorus, the rumble is impressive.
Atticus- Much thicker, sounds almost wooly right after the TH600 sparseness, low bass rumble at the start of the chorus isn't as palpable, however the more forgiving treble and the (present) midbass give the song more musicality. The darker, warmer sound has a more "rock" sound versus the dryer TH600.

Caveats:
My system is a little on the warmer side of neutral so you may find that the Atticus is a little thinner with your setup. That could be perfect.
The TH600 I have has the original magnesium cups that are prone to ringing and make the sound much dryer; at some point this week, my Lawton cups will show up and my TH600 will sound closer (though not identical) to the TH610/TR-X00 headphones that are more readily available.

Summary:
The TH600 has the better soundstage, if you can get a variation with wooden cups its certainly better for electronic music, good for hip-hop (just a different style) and worse for rock.
The Atticus has the more human and musical sound; if the majority of the music you listen to is rock followed by hip-hop, pick the Atticus. It'll work for EDM but it wouldn't be my first choice.

If you want the best of both worlds in one headphone, the Eikon is probably your best bet (my next ZMF headphone will be an Eikon), or go planar for the Ananda.

So I own the LCD3 but not the LCD2. If you like the LCD2 midrange I can tell you that the Atticus midrange is like a thicker LCD3 mid and therefore a little closer to the 2. The Atty has less treble than the LCD3, but at a comparable quality, so that should put it slightly thicker and more relaxed up top compared to the LCD2. Subbass is tighter and more impactful on the LCD3, which gives it a better grip for EDM, but the Atty soundstage is marginally bigger. If you like the LCD2 you will probably like the Atty but maybe find it a little treble shy; not a bad thing but something to keep in mind.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #7,902 of 9,714
Hey all - we will be on @Darthpool's YouTube channel tomorrow (or today depending on when you see this and where you are!) Sunday October 25th at 7PM central (US time) at our new workshop. We will be talking about all things ZMF and we're really excited to give a tour of our new workshop. Here's the link for the live stream. Hope to see you there in the chat box!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3KptoLyJk1M

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #7,903 of 9,714
Hey all - we will be on @Darthpool's YouTube channel tomorrow (or today depending on when you see this and where you are!) Sunday October 25th at 7PM central (US time) at our new workshop. We will be talking about all things ZMF and we're really excited to give a tour of our new workshop. Here's the link for the live stream. Hope to see you there in the chat box!

Will you be announcing some special Limited editions coming up ? :)

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #7,904 of 9,714
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back