ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #7,876 of 9,709
Just got these (Eikon padauk)... OMG, I am speechless. Driving with Wa2 with upgraded tubes (TS5998, Amperex 6922 PQ white label gold pins, Philips miniwatt EZ80), never heard midrange so smooth and sultry, most defined bass I have ever heard on headphones, Highs are extended perfectly, non piercing or fatiguing at all, just perfecto! These put my Th900 MKII to shame... do I have to sell my th900's now? Scared to try these on my ZDS, not sure if I can take the eargasm, Speechless...

I had the same Eikon: a physically beautiful and sonically impressive headphone, for sure.

Yeah, sell the Fostex. Put the money towards another ZMF HP.

My favorite of their closed backs is the Ori (lovely tuning + that crushing planar bass). Favorite of the open-backs is the Aeolus (favorite headphone, period). Also heard the Verite open & Verite closed at some length IMS late last year. Very impressive!

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #7,877 of 9,709
I used to own both the Eikon and the TH900. I found the bass on the Fostex to be drier and just slightly harder hitting, on the Eikon bass sounded wetter and more filled in, much better rumble as well.

The overall tonal balance on the Eikon is much more balanced, with a sub bass that is pleasingly present. There is a slight dip in the mids that pushes the vocal presentation back just a bit. Vocals are still detailed and present, but they are not pushed forward in the same way as on say an AT headphone.

The TH900 is obviously v-shaped. This works great for movies and games where you want a bombastic, big sound. But for music it sounds thin in the mids and the treble soon gets grating.

You can pad roll the Eikon with the Auteur pads for an even more neutral presentation. The TH900 probably wasn't designed with pad rolling in mind, it works best with stock pads.

I ended up selling the TH900 after buying the Eikon. I only sold the Eikon later when I got my VC, but honestly, I do miss it. It is a very all around competent set of headphones.

I ended up picking up a pair of the TH900 used. I actually do like the sound quite a bit, with my main complaint being the lack of isolation (which may eventually lead me to sell them, honestly). I think I still may try to pick up an Eikon/Atticus to compare the two. By any chance have you tried the Atticus as well?

Also kind of looking into buying a pair of VC soon. Should I just skip the Eikon if I'm planning to get a VC? I think i'd like to end up with 1 or 2 pair of closed backs. Not sure what would be the best to complement the VC. Again, mostly listening to Hip Hop/Rap/Pop

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #7,878 of 9,709
Just to report back... have to say the best amp pairing for the Eikon is definitely the Woo Audio WA2 (TS 5998, Philip Miniwatt EZ80, Amperex 6922 PQ gold pins). It sounds just as good with my ZDS, but there is just something magical about its synergy with my WA2! It sounded good on my Auralic Taurus MKII, but this headphone is definitely meant to be used with a tube amp.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #7,879 of 9,709
So I got a set of camphor Atticus last Saturday and pretty much haven't been able to take them off since I got them. I knew they were going to have a signature similar to the HD6XX but was still surprised just how similar they sounded.

I wasn't a huge fan of the stock tuning. The mids were just too overpowering and highs too subdued/rolled off. For metal/hardcore, the sound just was not right at all. Guitars lacked bite primarily and cymbals being so low in the mix really took the energy out of most music. So I've been playing with the parametric EQ in Roon and think I've got a profile that really shows just how versatile and impressive these headphones can be. For anyone interested:

Band 1: Low shelf 80 Hz, 7 dB, 1 Q
Band 2: Peak 970 Hz, -7.5 dB, 1.2 Q
Band 3: Peak 1490 Hz, 6 dB, 1 Q
Band 4: Peak 3761 Hz, 9 dB, 1 Q
Band 5: Peak 8000 Hz, 5.4 dB, 1 Q
Band 6: Peak 12000 Hz, 7.7 dB, 1 Q
Band 7: Peak 4900 Hz, -6 dB, 4 Q

Distorted guitars have lovely bite, cymbals are detailed and much more present in the mix, and the overall timbre sounds more natural to me. While not neutral, these settings make the Atticus sound much more similar to the RAAL SR1a but with much better bass and slam of course.

I was listening to some Dillinger Escape Plan last night and was shocked at how well the Atticus image and separate instruments. I was hearing a lot of backing instruments that presented as some kind of noise and I could interpret the general chords being played in the past on other headphones (ESP/95X, Ether 2, SR1a) but suddenly, I could hear exactly what was being played nearly perfectly without the lead riff overpowering it to the point of reducing it to background sound.

These are great, great headphones that have totally surpassed my expectations--especially in regards to detail retrieval and clarity. And they're so FUN. It's so easy to just rock out with these on. Now I'm really curious about the Verite...

EDIT: my chain is as follows:
Roon Core (2014 MBP) USB -> Bifrost 2 XLR -> GS-X mini preamp RCA -> Gilmore Lite MK 2 -> Atticus

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #7,880 of 9,709
So I got a set of camphor Atticus last Saturday and pretty much haven't been able to take them off since I got them. I knew they were going to have a signature similar to the HD6XX but was still surprised just how similar they sounded.

I wasn't a huge fan of the stock tuning. The mids were just too overpowering and highs too subdued/rolled off. For metal/hardcore, the sound just was not right at all. Guitars lacked bite primarily and cymbals being so low in the mix really took the energy out of most music. So I've been playing with the parametric EQ in Roon and think I've got a profile that really shows just how versatile and impressive these headphones can be. For anyone interested:

Band 1: Low shelf 80 Hz, 7 dB, 1 Q
Band 2: Peak 970 Hz, -7.5 dB, 1.2 Q
Band 3: Peak 1490 Hz, 6 dB, 1 Q
Band 4: Peak 3761 Hz, 9 dB, 1 Q
Band 5: Peak 8000 Hz, 5.4 dB, 1 Q
Band 6: Peak 12000 Hz, 7.7 dB, 1 Q
Band 7: Peak 4900 Hz, -6 dB, 4 Q

Distorted guitars have lovely bite, cymbals are detailed and much more present in the mix, and the overall timbre sounds more natural to me. While not neutral, these settings make the Atticus sound much more similar to the RAAL SR1a but with much better bass and slam of course.

I was listening to some Dillinger Escape Plan last night and was shocked at how well the Atticus image and separate instruments. I was hearing a lot of backing instruments that presented as some kind of noise and I could interpret the general chords being played in the past on other headphones (ESP/95X, Ether 2, SR1a) but suddenly, I could hear exactly what was being played nearly perfectly without the lead riff overpowering it to the point of reducing it to background sound.

These are great, great headphones that have totally surpassed my expectations--especially in regards to detail retrieval and clarity. And they're so FUN. It's so easy to just rock out with these on. Now I'm really curious about the Verite...

EDIT: my chain is as follows:
Roon Core (2014 MBP) USB -> Bifrost 2 XLR -> GS-X mini preamp RCA -> Gilmore Lite MK 2 -> Atticus
Did you try the suede ori pads before EQ? I too thought the Atticus with the stock lambskin ori pads were a tad dark for metal/rock. Switching to the suede ori pads brought the mids down a few db while giving more air up top. I'm curious how it compares to your EQ settings, seems like a very similar effect. The Atticus is also very amp picky, at least to me. Get it right, it's great. Get it wrong, it's sludgy mud. I had a GLMK2 and thought that was a great amp for it. But why not run it straight from the GS-X mini? The Atticus definitely responds to power, and the GSX with XLR out is a beast on that front. Nice setup! and congrats on the Atticus. after years it's still holding the top spot in my lineup, even with the VC and Eikon next to it.

The VC is a technically superior headphone, but FOR ME, lacks some of the fun factor and engagement the Atticus and Eikon bring. it's fast, resolving, and very well balanced. But i just don't get as into the music with it as i do the others. Don't get me wrong, it's far from boring, and definitely one of the best headphones i've heard. But the Atticus and Eikon are no slouches, and hold their own quite well. personal preference is huge here, many think i'm nuts.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #7,881 of 9,709
Does anyone happen to know if Zach plans to do any further runs of LIMITED woods Eikon?

Im trying to get my hands on a limited Eikon. The reason for limited preference is not so much out of aesthetics but I seem to like the sound qualities of the harder/limited tone woods.

If anyone is looking to sell a pair of Eikons, let me know! Or if you have a line on any news regarding new limited Eikon production, I’m all ears.

Happy listening,
Rich

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #7,882 of 9,709
The VC is a technically superior headphone, but FOR ME, lacks some of the fun factor and engagement the Atticus and Eikon bring. it's fast, resolving, and very well balanced. But i just don't get as into the music with it as i do the others. Don't get me wrong, it's far from boring, and definitely one of the best headphones i've heard. But the Atticus and Eikon are no slouches, and hold their own quite well. personal preference is huge here, many think i'm nuts.
I got the VC recently and can't imagine ever selling my Atticus.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #7,883 of 9,709
Does anyone happen to know if Zach plans to do any further runs of LIMITED woods Eikon?

Im trying to get my hands on a limited Eikon. The reason for limited preference is not so much out of aesthetics but I seem to like the sound qualities of the harder/limited tone woods.

If anyone is looking to sell a pair of Eikons, let me know! Or if you have a line on any news regarding new limited Eikon production, I’m all ears.

Happy listening,
Rich

We've got a LTD Eikon and Atticus coming up in November. It's a good one!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #7,885 of 9,709
Wow very exciting! Have you released what wood(s) yet, Zach, or still a secret?

It's actually a wood we haven't ever used before on any headphone, so it's exciting for me. I'll announce after we cut some sets to make sure all is good with it!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 4, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #7,887 of 9,709
Did you try the suede ori pads before EQ? I too thought the Atticus with the stock lambskin ori pads were a tad dark for metal/rock. Switching to the suede ori pads brought the mids down a few db while giving more air up top. I'm curious how it compares to your EQ settings, seems like a very similar effect. The Atticus is also very amp picky, at least to me. Get it right, it's great. Get it wrong, it's sludgy mud. I had a GLMK2 and thought that was a great amp for it. But why not run it straight from the GS-X mini? The Atticus definitely responds to power, and the GSX with XLR out is a beast on that front. Nice setup! and congrats on the Atticus. after years it's still holding the top spot in my lineup, even with the VC and Eikon next to it.

I haven't tried any other pads, no. And I thought they sounded a bit too dark still straight out of the GS-X mini. The GLMK2 adds some energy in the highs and also is a very fast amp. This chain gets me the tight, powerful bass and fantastic stage of the mini with the addition of better treble and faster transients, in my opinion.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #7,888 of 9,709
20201007_004849.jpg

New to me Cherry Atticus playing nirvana. I wanted to try the Eikons but these came up first.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #7,890 of 9,709
Is the Eikon as rich as the Atticus or closer to the Autuer?
My experience just now with the Atticus has made me deeply regret selling my Autuers to buy the 299D, yet if I hadn't bought the 299D I wouldn't have been able to experience the full power of the Atticus. These really do love tubes and this might be the greatest headphone for vinyl+tube listening (recording and instrument dependent).

My only gripe is that the soundstage could be bigger and it could be more detailed. Me thinks, if the Eikon is in the neighborhood of the Atticus's richness with the detail and width of the Autuer it may be my perfect ZMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back