ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 7, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #5,791 of 9,716
Complement them, how? Sound like the A&E, only in an open can -or- sound different than the A&E?

People seem to use the term "complement" either way, so I never know what they want.

May 7, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #5,792 of 9,716
I'm thinking about getting a pair of open backs ... it would be my first pair ... I would like to complement both of my A&E and my 2 modded T50RPs.. Further I would like to try a different company ...

Any thoughts on the MrSpeakers AEON Flow or Audeze LCD2C or Senn 660s? Re-using my existing cables with the Audeze would be a + ... are the above headphone close to what I have now?
Since yo already have the A&E, I’d say an LCD-3 will be a much better choice. I know it costs a bit more than the closed backs but not if you buy a mint used pair (2016 or later to get the warranty and latest drivers). Will also be much better in terms of SQ, whereas the 2 will be more of a sidegrade to what you already own. Just my 0.02 :)

May 7, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,793 of 9,716
Complement them, how? Sound like the A&E, only in an open can -or- sound different than the A&E?

People seem to use the term "complement" either way, so I never know what they want.

Sorry ... Since I'm looking for open cans .. I guess just looking for wider stage .... Type of sound which is different from what I have now with the current closed cans I have now ..

May 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #5,794 of 9,716
Since yo already have the A&E, I’d say an LCD-3 will be a much better choice. I know it costs a bit more than the closed backs but not if you buy a mint used pair (2016 or later to get the warranty and latest drivers). Will also be much better in terms of SQ, whereas the 2 will be more of a sidegrade to what you already own. Just my 0.02 :)

I guess the only way to go is up as far as price ... Hmmm ... Maybe I'll stay with what I got .... Just wanted to buy something ...

Maybe I'll start thinking about a full tube amp to go along with my hybrid ...

Curse this hobby ... Always wanting to hear better things

May 7, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #5,795 of 9,716
Sorry ... Since I'm looking for open cans .. I guess just looking for wider stage .... Type of sound which is different from what I have now with the current closed cans I have now ..

From my experience the Audeze doesnt have that wide of a stage,so if your main impetus is to hear a wider stage IMO youre barking up the wrong tree.
If youre wanting something truly polar and complimentary to the A&E you might consider an HD800 or Beyer T1.2,or better yet,as you mentioned prior,grab yourself a TOTL OTL amp.

May 7, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #5,796 of 9,716
I'm thinking about getting a pair of open backs ... it would be my first pair ... I would like to complement both of my A&E and my 2 modded T50RPs.. Further I would like to try a different company ...

Any thoughts on the MrSpeakers AEON Flow or Audeze LCD2C or Senn 660s? Re-using my existing cables with the Audeze would be a + ... are the above headphone close to what I have now?

HD800. Can't get much bigger stage than that and is very open sounding. It also has a very different tonality than the A&E and would provide a good contrast to what you have. Check out the Auteur if you want an open headphone with a somewhat similar tonality as the A&E.

Can find them used around $600-800 often.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #5,797 of 9,716
Well with my Elexs headed back to Massdrop I'm thinking of getting an Atticus to replace them. With the Eikon pads it should round out the bass & I would like the more forward mids v. the Eikon since I bought the Elex to replace the 6XX anyway.

May 8, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #5,798 of 9,716
Well with my Elexs headed back to Massdrop I'm thinking of getting an Atticus to replace them. With the Eikon pads it should round out the bass & I would like the more forward mids v. the Eikon since I bought the Elex to replace the 6XX anyway.

If your looking to flatten the bass and make it a but more forward sounding I recommend giving the suede Eikon pads a try .

May 8, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #5,799 of 9,716
If your looking to flatten the bass and make it a but more forward sounding I recommend giving the suede Eikon pads a try .
I don't necessarily want to flatten it but make it more linear. From some reviews it sounds like it's an off transition from mid to subbass so I'm thinking adding more subbass would help. I'll try it with the suede pads if Zach has any around when I go to demo them (I'm about an hour out from Lyons which isn't a bad drive at all.)

May 8, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #5,800 of 9,716
I don't necessarily want to flatten it but make it more linear. From some reviews it sounds like it's an off transition from mid to subbass so I'm thinking adding more subbass would help. I'll try it with the suede pads if Zach has any around when I go to demo them (I'm about an hour out from Lyons which isn't a bad drive at all.)

That is what I meant by flatten. It flattens out the mid bass bump a bit for a more linear bass response.

May 8, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #5,801 of 9,716
I'm really enjoying the Eikon as a Utopia complement. The soundstage is fantastic for a closed can and overall much more laid-back than Utopia but equally enjoyable. Also a lot more light/comfortable than I anticipated given the size. I lose track of time when I put these on, they just disappear unlike the Utopia which is always up in your face and much more aggressive sounding overall. After hearing both Atticus and Eikon at CanJam, it was a tough tough choice deciding between the two, but I have no regrets.

They're keepers!

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #5,803 of 9,716
stax are a good complement to ZMF/Fostex if you want a complete 180. Perfect for instrumentals

I can agree with that, though I can't speak for the lower end Stax. I have a Blackwood now (no Atticus or Eikon or Auteur though), had a Stax SR-007A in the past. That and the SR-009 (and presumably the new SR-009S) are the best compliment, since what the ZMFs (and closed back headphones in general) are not the best at, the Stax's are. Though the SR-007 and SR-009 can do it all, but cost a lot and require a $3000+ amp to sound their best.

May 8, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #5,804 of 9,716
I can agree with that, though I can't speak for the lower end Stax. I have a Blackwood now (no Atticus or Eikon or Auteur though), had a Stax SR-007A in the past. That and the SR-009 (and presumably the new SR-009S) are the best compliment, since what the ZMFs (and closed back headphones in general) are not the best at, the Stax's are. Though the SR-007 and SR-009 can do it all, but cost a lot and require a $3000+ amp to sound their best.
Lower end Stax are good as well. They sound a bit more ethereal (thin?) and don't have much punch, which is a positive if looking for a polar opposite to the typical closed-back sound.

May 9, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #5,805 of 9,716
So would you say for sub bass (quantity):

Eikon > LCD3 > Auteur/Atticus

And for mid bass (quantity):

Atticus > Eikon > LCD3/Auteur

I don’t think anyone would argue the quality of planar bass (especially LCD-3 planar) is difficult to match.

i don't find auteur mid bass so lacking comparing to atticus. it still have some serious punch. not day and night i mean. obviously imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back