ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 29, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #5,776 of 9,716
I used EqualizerAPO for Windows with Peace GUI. I think the -5 preamp lowers all frequencies so when you "EQ up" you're not increasing distortion. At least that's what someone told me; I have no idea if that's true.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #5,777 of 9,716
So would you say for sub bass (quantity):

Eikon > LCD3 > Auteur/Atticus

And for mid bass (quantity):

Atticus > Eikon > LCD3/Auteur

I don’t think anyone would argue the quality of planar bass (especially LCD-3 planar) is difficult to match.

Sub bass:
Eikon > LCD3/Auteur > Atticus

Mid bass:
Atticus > Auteur/Eikon > LCD3

In terms of quantity.

May 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #5,779 of 9,716
I always see Atticus & Auteur pairings v. Eikon & Auteur pairings. It seems like the latter would be more complimentary.
In my opinion, not if you like your headphones to sound different to each other with minimal overlap.

May 1, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #5,780 of 9,716
In my opinion, not if you like your headphones to sound different to each other with minimal overlap.
The Auteur is pretty much neutral though so I don't think it'd be egregious either way. From the quantity comparisons it seems like the Atticus & Auteur overlap in midbass but neither handle sub-bass as well as the Eikon. That'd be the gap I'd try to fill to be honest. I'm sure y'all have other reasons though.

//edit: Misread the midbass quantity. That makes more sense now.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #5,781 of 9,716
Need some opinions if anyone has any experiance with these amps. I was going to go for the Atticus but decided to save some money and get something else. Wrong decision. Now I am set and going to pull the trigger on an Atticus. My current amp is a Meier Corda Jazz and I do like it but the only way I can explain it is sterile which is not really what I am looking for. I want an amp that will highlight the Atticus strengths and not tame it which I think the Jazz will do. So I was looking into a smallish desk solid state amp. Firstly the A20 as per Zachs reccomendation, also the Rupert Neves RNPH and the Lake People G109S. My main listening is Hip-Hop, Jazz, R&B... and I would like to stay around 500 USD. I don't think i am ready for a tube amp nor do I have the room for one really.

May 6, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #5,782 of 9,716
Need some opinions if anyone has any experiance with these amps. I was going to go for the Atticus but decided to save some money and get something else. Wrong decision. Now I am set and going to pull the trigger on an Atticus. My current amp is a Meier Corda Jazz and I do like it but the only way I can explain it is sterile which is not really what I am looking for. I want an amp that will highlight the Atticus strengths and not tame it which I think the Jazz will do. So I was looking into a smallish desk solid state amp. Firstly the A20 as per Zachs reccomendation, also the Rupert Neves RNPH and the Lake People G109S. My main listening is Hip-Hop, Jazz, R&B... and I would like to stay around 500 USD. I don't think i am ready for a tube amp nor do I have the room for one really.
Do you have a DAC? If so, Lyr 3 with stock Tung Sol tube. It's amazing with my Eikons

May 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #5,783 of 9,716
How about the Gilmore Lite MK2? Anyone try that with the Atticus?

May 6, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #5,784 of 9,716
How about the Gilmore Lite MK2? Anyone try that with the Atticus?

I was considering that but chose the Lyr 3 instead for the power output and versatility and fact that it's not limited to a proprietary wall-wart PSU. Lyr 3 seems like a no brainer for the price.

May 7, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #5,786 of 9,716
How's the bass performance of the Eikon vs the Blackwood or Ori? I just can't imagine a dynamic headphone approaching the bass (extension and body and slam) of a good planar like either of those. The best dynamic headphones I've heard like the HD 800 and even Focal Utopia certainly don't.

May 7, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #5,787 of 9,716
How's the bass performance of the Eikon vs the Blackwood or Ori? I just can't imagine a dynamic headphone approaching the bass (extension and body and slam) of a good planar like either of those. The best dynamic headphones I've heard like the HD 800 and even Focal Utopia certainly don't.
Well if your experience with dynamic drivers are the hd800 and Utopia, I can see why you may have formed that opinion. Both are bass weaksauce.

I loved my ori and vibro, but the Eikon reaches lower and hits as hard if not harder. It doesn't get sloppy or one-note either.

May 7, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #5,788 of 9,716

The Eikon and Blackwood are similar in that they both have a sub bass boost, however the Eikon is cleaner and better textured than the Blackwood. The Ori has decent extension, more than most, but hits a bit harder in the mid bass than the Eikon and Blackwood.

May 7, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5,789 of 9,716

I own a Cherry Eikon, and have listened fairly extensively to my friends Ori. The two definitely share a lot of similarities, including the sub bass (IMO). There are of course differences, and yes the Ori has that 'planar bass' everyone talks about, in spades. The Ori would win in slam (MO) and has a bit more in the mid bass, and I find the Eikon a bit cleaner, but it still has fantastic slam. YMMV of course.

May 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #5,790 of 9,716
I'm thinking about getting a pair of open backs ... it would be my first pair ... I would like to complement both of my A&E and my 2 modded T50RPs.. Further I would like to try a different company ...

Any thoughts on the MrSpeakers AEON Flow or Audeze LCD2C or Senn 660s? Re-using my existing cables with the Audeze would be a + ... are the above headphone close to what I have now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back