ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #5,762 of 9,711
I know an OTL pairing is ideal but my Eikon sounds lovely w/ the Liquid Gold. Enjoying this complement to my Utopia so far, only been about a week or so. Unfortunately not close in terms of dynamics and treble/mid quality but not as far behind in resolution as I expected. Overall a nice smooth laid-back sound, I rarely like closed cans so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,763 of 9,711
Each brings a different flavor (IMHO etc. etc.) Eikon is amazing out of my iCan Pro (especially balanced) and is ridiculously good out of my MCTH as well. I have yet to hear it out of my friends OTL Woo, but hopefully I'll rectify that before long. I've heard Eikon is less amp picky than Atticus, but don't have much experience there.

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,764 of 9,711
Each brings a different flavor (IMHO etc. etc.) Eikon is amazing out of my iCan Pro (especially balanced) and is ridiculously good out of my MCTH as well. I have yet to hear it out of my friends OTL Woo, but hopefully I'll rectify that before long. I've heard Eikon is less amp picky than Atticus, but don't have much experience there.

IME Eikon is very amp-picky. Like, it'll sound good out of pretty much anything, but few amps I tried really brought out the best, especially in the treble/upper-mids - and it really loves tubes. When it's driven right, the treble is sweet, detailed, extended, and totally natural - some of the best I've heard from any headphone. When it's not, the treble is grainy and not very extended.

Doesn't have to be OTL though - I've been blown away by the Ampsandsound Mogwai SE, especially through its 300-ohm output.

Dunc

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #5,765 of 9,711
I heard the (borrowed) Eikon at some length on 3 SS amps (V281; LCv2; and Lake People G109-A). Thought it killed on all 3. The Eikon didn't strike me as amp-picky.

At that time, I didn't have an OTL. Now I have a Woo WA3, which sounds quite amazing on the one high-impedance headphone I have (a borrowed/modded HD650). So job #1 is to hear that Eikon on the Woo.

BTW, the V281 offers the usual "deal with the devil" trade-off on a high-resolution headphone like the Eikon:
  • On some music, it can be a little too energetic in the upper mids for my taste (both the Eikon & V281 are a bit strong in that range). However, this is hardly a routine/predictable coloration.
  • On the other hand, the V281s strong imaging/soundstaging & endless dynamics are perfect for the Eikon, which IMO is near endgame in both categories to begin with.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #5,766 of 9,711
Hey guys, anyone here with a recent revision LCD-3F that can contrast/compare the quality/quantity of sub bass between the LCDs and Eikon? Think tracks by the likes of Daft Punk for reference. Not mid bass, specifically sub bass, maybe up to very low mid bass. Thanks.

Quality is about the same, quantity goes to the Eikon. It has a nice sub bass boost that makes tracks like Doin it Right by Daft Punk really incredible. I honestly can't think of a better headphone for Daft Punk than the Eikon, at any price.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #5,767 of 9,711
Quality is about the same, quantity goes to the Eikon. It has a nice sub bass boost that makes tracks like Doin it Right by Daft Punk really incredible. I honestly can't think of a better headphone for Daft Punk than the Eikon, at any price.
Thanks, any idea how the Auteur fares in the same comparison? I know it’s not the Auteur thread but thought I’d ask here anyway.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #5,770 of 9,711
Thanks, any idea how the Auteur fares in the same comparison? I know it’s not the Auteur thread but thought I’d ask here anyway.

Auteur has good sub bass extension, especially when considering it's an open headphone. The Eikon has better sub bass though. It rumbles with authority all the way down to 20hz.

I think the Atticus might give it a good run :wink:

Atticus is more centered around the mid bass and doesn't have the sub bass boost that the Eikon has.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #5,772 of 9,711

I can think of quite a few. But then again the Eikon wasn't a favorite of mine.

I know an OTL pairing is ideal but my Eikon sounds lovely w/ the Liquid Gold. Enjoying this complement to my Utopia so far, only been about a week or so. Unfortunately not close in terms of dynamics and treble/mid quality but not as far behind in resolution as I expected. Overall a nice smooth laid-back sound, I rarely like closed cans so I'm pleasantly surprised.

To be fair though, pretty much everything sounds good with a LAu. :grin:

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #5,773 of 9,711
Auteur has good sub bass extension, especially when considering it's an open headphone. The Eikon has better sub bass though. It rumbles with authority all the way down to 20hz.

Atticus is more centered around the mid bass and doesn't have the sub bass boost that the Eikon has.
So would you say for sub bass (quantity):

Eikon > LCD3 > Auteur/Atticus

And for mid bass (quantity):

Atticus > Eikon > LCD3/Auteur

I don’t think anyone would argue the quality of planar bass (especially LCD-3 planar) is difficult to match.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #5,775 of 9,711
-5 preamp

+5 db at 20hz, 0.8 Q

+1 db at 40 hz, 1.8 Q

I stole these from Metal571, whose tastes align closely with mine. I didn't use his -3 db at 200 hz, though.
Thanks. What’s -5 preamp if I may ask. And which EQ software do you use? (I’m on a Mac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back