ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #5,386 of 9,733
Which Eikon pads give the most neutral sound, on the Eikon?

Youd want the universe non perf for the eikon. The perf pads don't work well on our closed headphones.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,387 of 9,733
Which Eikon pads give the most neutral sound, on the Eikon?

I've only heard the Eikon (at some length) using the "Eikon pads," not to be confused w/Ori pads or anything perforated. This pads are easy to spot: they're wider than std pads (~110mm diameter) and somewhat shallower overall, mainly because the "high side" of the angled pad is not much higher than the low side.

There have been multiple posts here over past months/1 yr+ about other pads for the Eikon. But most posters (including ZMF) recommend Eikon pads, and based on what I've heard--they're right.

(hope this helps)

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #5,389 of 9,733
Hey guys, can anyone please post a video or pictorial on how to remove/replace Atticus/Eikon pads. Not really getting the one Zach posted on YouTube, and would be good to see it done with one of the current headphones. Thx!

I'll get one up early this week! Will try tk make aacouple videos for anything i can think of actually. Probably a good idea.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #5,391 of 9,733
I heard the Ampsandsound Mogwai driving Eikons at CanJam on Sunday (hi Zach!) and fell in love. Has anyone compared the Mogwai to the Kenzie, with their Eikons? Reviews seem to be conflicted about the differences. Zach reckoned the extra power of the Mogwai is worth it over the Kenzie, but I'm not sure my Eikons really need it.

Also, anyone compared Mogwai to other amps in the $1-2k bracket, with their Eikons? Specifically concerned with synergy over absolute quality.

Dunc

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #5,392 of 9,733
I heard the Ampsandsound Mogwai driving Eikons at CanJam on Sunday (hi Zach!) and fell in love. Has anyone compared the Mogwai to the Kenzie, with their Eikons? Reviews seem to be conflicted about the differences. Zach reckoned the extra power of the Mogwai is worth it over the Kenzie, but I'm not sure my Eikons really need it.

Also, anyone compared Mogwai to other amps in the $1-2k bracket, with their Eikons? Specifically concerned with synergy over absolute quality.

Dunc

Did you get to listen to the Auteur's as well by any chance on those amps?

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,393 of 9,733

I reviewed an Auteur and had an Eikon with the Kenzie and Amethyst Zach loaned me.

Quite a few people like the timbre and character the Kenzie has. I'm not sure if it was the combination of the Amethyst and the Kenzie, but I found the Kenzie sounded a bit too...thick, didn't have much separation, and had a bit of bloat. That was with the 32 ohm...the 300 ohm made it way too much. (I should also note, the 32 ohm and 300 ohm outputs are the actual output's impedance, not "what headphone impedance should go in this output.")

A lot of people love it though, but I didn't. I prefer the IHA-1, ZDS, and Black Widow 2 with the Auteur and Eikon. I'm sure the Kenzie doesn't sound as thick with a neutral or slightly bright dac, but the Amethyst, being warm and a bit dark, wasn't a good combination for my tastes. I will preface that with a "but that's an unpopular opinion in this and the Auteur thread."

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #5,394 of 9,733

I only listened to the Auteur briefly, and it was driven by that little portable Woo thingie, which really didn't drive it well - sounded dark and woolly and bloated to me. I was laser-focused on trying amps with my Eikons, so didn't spend much time with Auteur, sorry...

Dunc

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #5,395 of 9,733
I reviewed an Auteur and had an Eikon with the Kenzie and Amethyst Zach loaned me.

Quite a few people like the timbre and character the Kenzie has. I'm not sure if it was the combination of the Amethyst and the Kenzie, but I found the Kenzie sounded a bit too...thick, didn't have much separation, and had a bit of bloat. That was with the 32 ohm...the 300 ohm made it way too much. (I should also note, the 32 ohm and 300 ohm outputs are the actual output's impedance, not "what headphone impedance should go in this output.")

A lot of people love it though, but I didn't. I prefer the IHA-1, ZDS, and Black Widow 2 with the Auteur and Eikon. I'm sure the Kenzie doesn't sound as thick with a neutral or slightly bright dac, but the Amethyst, being warm and a bit dark, wasn't a good combination for my tastes. I will preface that with a "but that's an unpopular opinion in this and the Auteur thread."

Tube rolling can make a big difference with the Kenzie. I have Amethyst, Kenzie and Eikon, and I am using a Telefunken ECC 801S preamp tube and the Amethyst doesn't sound warm or dark at all. The bass has punch (no bloat), the sound is dynamic, the treble is extended, with a full sound and very good imaging and instrament separation. An excellent combination. Just shows how well the Kenzie scales with different tubes!

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #5,396 of 9,733
Tube rolling can make a big difference with the Kenzie. I have Amethyst, Kenzie and Eikon, and I am using a Telefunken ECC 801S preamp tube and the Amethyst doesn't sound warm or dark at all. The bass has punch (no bloat), the sound is dynamic, the treble is extended, with a full sound and very good imaging and instrament separation. An excellent combination. Just shows how well the Kenzie scales with different tubes!

The Kenzie uses the Darling Circuit which really limits how much tube rolling you can do. That being said, I've heard it's pretty responsive to tube changes.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #5,397 of 9,733
The Kenzie uses the Darling Circuit which really limits how much tube rolling you can do. That being said, I've heard it's pretty responsive to tube changes.

Can you explain why the Darling Circuit limits tube rolling with the Kenzie? So far I have rolled 2C52, 12SL7, 12AX7. 12AT7, 5751, 5755 and WE 420 A, all with varying results, just shows how tube rolling can change the sound of the Kenzie!

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #5,398 of 9,733
Can you explain why the Darling Circuit limits tube rolling with the Kenzie? So far I have rolled 2C52, 12SL7, 12AX7. 12AT7, 5751, 5755 and WE 420 A, all with varying results, just shows how tube rolling can change the sound of the Kenzie!

You're limited to the
12SL7GT, CV924, VT289 series of tubes which are cheap and plentiful but not even as great for inputs tubes as the Bottlehead Crack. If they carry adapters with the right heater values for that series then I'm unaware (the 420A, and 5751 specifically).

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #5,399 of 9,733
Well I just got my Atticus in and I'm really digging it - the warmth isn't overwhelming and my mids are a bit forward like I like. The treble is very well extended, these may very well be my endgame headphones. Just need to tame it a bit as it can actually be a bit much on modern music which is strange considering these have been touted as warm and romantic, forgiving, etc. I find the 650s a lot more forgiving because of the so called 'veil' which to me sounds a bit smoother. These sound a bit sharper. Going to load some JJs and Orange Globes next.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #5,400 of 9,733
Well I just got my Atticus in and I'm really digging it - the warmth isn't overwhelming and my mids are a bit forward like I like. The treble is very well extended, these may very well be my endgame headphones. Just need to tame it a bit as it can actually be a bit much on modern music which is strange considering these have been touted as warm and romantic, forgiving, etc. I find the 650s a lot more forgiving because of the so called 'veil' which to me sounds a bit smoother. These sound a bit sharper. Going to load some JJs and Orange Globes next.

burn those babies in and the sound might change...my personal standard is 150 hrs, but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back