ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,916 of 9,763
Something special happened to the Eikon in Padauk I am using.

After some burn in time (my case two weeks),
I noticed greater slam and more liquid Soundstage.
This Soundstage is layered properly as I compare it to my HEKV2, and it performs favorably in layering to top open cans.
It does have a signature which is genius.

I have heard and owned so many headphones,
I have to say we are living a moment where we have a MASTER TUNER in our presence, with ZACH.

You guys are spoiled.
Almost every other headphone company needs a "Zach" to tune thier headphones.
I can't imagine if Focal had a Zach.
Too bad for them.

For closed headphone there still is nothing that come close to such alluring signature, stage, and power.
Many come close but fail miserably in signature...
:)

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,917 of 9,763
My camphor Atticus has arrived! Here's a pic. Please note that the pic can't do it justice. It's a beautiful wood! I will report later today, as for now I have to go back to work :frowning2:

wc1G6pQTRfSsqnnk6yL8uw_thumb_165.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #3,919 of 9,763
Looks good! It's lighter in color than I thought from Zach's pics.

It varies quite a bit. It's one of those woods that when shown in different light will hide or show it's iridescence. Somewhat of a chameleon. If you order and have a preference (any wood really) definitely let me know and I'll do my best when selecting your wood. It comes in colors from Olive grey to bright yellow with and without stripes. They all have a beauty about them though.

IMG_5394.pngIMG_5475.pngIMG_5492.pngIMG_5192_sm.png

Attachments

• IMG_5492.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5195.png
    IMG_5195.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #3,920 of 9,763
I've a particular affinity for the appearance of mine...

IMG_0084.JPG

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #3,921 of 9,763
^^^^^^^^gorgeous marble!? (what material is that below the headphone?) That works as a great background/texture for your photo! Cool headphones too. :dt880smile:

Finally labeled each wood and added it to each order page. Sorry for not having this on the site sooner.

Camphor Eikon.jpg Cherry_Eikon.jpg Padauk_EIkon.jpg

Also updated the "Lookbook:" http://www.zmfheadphones.com/lookbook/

I'll keep improving the site over the coming month or so with more information and clarification on items I've noticed need more info. Thanks to everyone who has emailed me with questions, it's been very helpful!

Attachments

• Camphor Eikon.jpg
    Camphor Eikon.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,922 of 9,763
^^^^^^^^gorgeous marble!? (what material is that below the headphone?) That works as a great background/texture for your photo! Cool headphones too. :dt880smile:

Thanks @zach915m. It's actually a burlwood table but does showcase the beauty of your work nicely! The only problem with these Eikons is when I'm listening to them I can't look at them, and when I'm looking at them I'm not listening to them. Suddenly, my urgency to also have the Atticus in camphor is tenfold!

IMG_0090.JPG

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #3,923 of 9,763
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Finally labeled each wood and added it to each order page. Sorry for not having this on the site sooner.

Also updated the "Lookbook:" http://www.zmfheadphones.com/lookbook/

I'll keep improving the site over the coming month or so with more information and clarification on items I've noticed need more info. Thanks to everyone who has emailed me with questions, it's been very helpful!

Looks like my silver gimbal'd cherry Eikon made the look book :) They are quite beautiful and unique.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,924 of 9,763
A first few comments after about 3 hours of listening to the camphor Atticus - I'll probably write a full review sometimes in August.

I don't know if it's due to the camphor, but they don't feel heavy at all. They almost feel like my Sennheiser HD650, although I know they weigh more. One other thing they have in common with the HD650, is the extreme comfort. A brilliant design!

As for how they sound, so far I've only listened to London Elektricity's Syncopated City and Genesis' Nursery Cryme. Two different genres of music and two different time periods. All I can say for now is that it was like listening to remixes. Everything felt new, fresh, and very powerful, very dynamic. By the way, the amp is a Schiit Valhalla 2.

More details in August, but at this point, to put it simply, I love them!

Zach, you rule!

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,925 of 9,763
Up late finishing some work. I did want to speak to the "Camphor" rumors quickly. We will make an official announcement in the coming week, but Camphor will be a stock wood, not a limited edition. I found that our supplier sometimes had a short wait time on Padauk or Cherry and that it would just be wise to choose a third wood so that we always had stock of something to ship out. A number of people on our order list have been notified about the Camphor and were able to switch their orders. Anyone else on the current order list can switch to Camphor for no cost. The list price will be the same as Padauk, $1099 for the Atticus and $1399 for the Eikon.

I will add more info about Camphor later both here and on the website. The two notes I can think about Camphor off the top of my head are that is has widely varying grain and color. It comes in all sorts of greys, reds, browns, amber etc. If you want your cups to look exactly the same this is not the wood for you although we hand pick out every set to look as nice as possible.

It finishes beautifully and smells really awesome when we are sanding it. I found that Lacquer does not work well on it and doesn't bring out Camphor's natural beauty anyways.

Our OFC cables are also just about done and I will get all the needed info up on that as well.

This wood is so beautiful!!

I can't believe all these posts--never saw any of them. Head-Fi has been pretty blinky lately about emailing me re new posts in threads I'm subscribed to. After 1 wk+ w/no emails, I just figured nobody was posting.

NOW THIS!! Not just a new/beautiful wood for A&E, but new cables!!

I'm sitting here, waiting for a pair of E MU Teaks I ordered 5 weeks ago; they won't show up for 3-4 weeks (annoying story...never would've ordered them if I'd known the delay would be so long). Between that & the 3 amps I bought this year (oh, yeah--a DAC-19, too!), I'm in no position to plunge on a camphor Atticus.

(arrgghhhh)

As they say, "every whore has a story" (this is mine).

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,926 of 9,763
I couldn't agree more with the comment above that Zach is a master tuner of headphone sound. I just can't stop listening to my Eikon since I got it and it has risen to the few at the top of the heap in my headphone collection and all of the headphones I ever heard (including Sony R10s).
It's just a case total musicality without any annoying flaws I can pick out. And it's a total bargain as an added bonus in my book. Just a brilliant engineering and artistic achievement. I'm so impressed I'm getting an Atticus simply because I'm awed by the Eikon.

The Eikon is definitely in the family of trying to avoid pain and being over-analytical and striking that elusive balance of sweetness/silkiness and insight/impact/reach.
I give it an unqualified recommendation.

I'm using my Norne Draug 2 cable at the moment (borrowed from my LCD4 because I think the Eikon deserves the best possible support and the Norne is a brilliant refined cable), but I used the stock cable for a while with great results before switching over. I do recommend the Draug/Norne combo for over-the-top goodness. The Norne cable just seems to improve every headphone it touches.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,927 of 9,763
So... all you Garage1217 product owners, I have a question. Thinking about picking one up to satisfy my curiosity about them. If I'm not mistaken, most of you have the Ember II and have stated it sounds fantastic with the Eikon.

Has anyone tried it with the Solstice? I have no need for the preamp on the Ember, and the Solstace looks near-identical specs wise (unless I'm missing something). Thoughts?

(I know this is more about the amps than the headphones, and I apologize in advance for semi-hijacking the thread, but I'm not interested in hearing from Garage owners how their M50Xs are TOTL cans now thanks to a $12 tube upgrade on their Starlight.)

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,928 of 9,763
So... all you Garage1217 product owners, I have a question. Thinking about picking one up to satisfy my curiosity about them. If I'm not mistaken, most of you have the Ember II and have stated it sounds fantastic with the Eikon.

Has anyone tried it with the Solstice? I have no need for the preamp on the Ember, and the Solstace looks near-identical specs wise (unless I'm missing something). Thoughts?

(I know this is more about the amps than the headphones, and I apologize in advance for semi-hijacking the thread, but I'm not interested in hearing from Garage owners how their M50Xs are TOTL cans now thanks to a $12 tube upgrade on their Starlight.)

Solstice is quite a bit less powerful than the Ember... but, considering how well Ember drives 300ohms, it might be worth trying Solstace since they have a lot in common.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,929 of 9,763
Solstice is quite a bit less powerful than the Ember... but, considering how well Ember drives 300ohms, it might be worth trying Solstace since they have a lot in common.

I didn't catch the power differences. That alone might seal the deal on Ember.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,930 of 9,763
It varies quite a bit. It's one of those woods that when shown in different light will hide or show it's iridescence. Somewhat of a chameleon. If you order and have a preference (any wood really) definitely let me know and I'll do my best when selecting your wood. It comes in colors from Olive grey to bright yellow with and without stripes. They all have a beauty about them though.

I am definitely going to be headed for this wood Zach....hope to order before Christmas, starting to lean toward the Eikon now, originally I was thinking Atticus because I like the Ori bass so much.
Really want to hear the Eikon with the Holo Spring....I will contact you in due time....just love this wood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back