ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 21, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #316 of 9,716
According to the below link Padauk does turn brown over time. Personally, I like the aged Cherry color or woods in the rosewood family. I was going to purchase the Omni with Ormosia Henryi (this is also know as yellow rosewood). Again, color & appearance are one thing the other is that woods do sound different and that is very important as well. 

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/top-ten-overrated-woods/

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #317 of 9,716
Well, this whole wood thing piqued my curiosity, so I.... Googled it! Here is an interesting thread on wood characteristics from the acoustic guitar world: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262722

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #319 of 9,716
  According to the below link Padauk does turn brown over time. Personally, I like the aged Cherry color or woods in the rosewood family. I was going to purchase the Omni with Ormosia Henryi (this is also know as yellow rosewood). Again, color & appearance are one thing the other is that woods do sound different and that is very important as well. 

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/top-ten-overrated-woods/

None of this is a surprise to woodworkers. It's well known that all woods darken somewhat with exposure to UV radiation in sunlight, due to oxidation of chemicals in the wood's structure. The effect varies quite a bit by species of wood (even w/in the same board of the same species); and is affected by handling & storage, ie, keep your headphones out in sunlight vs a darkened room and the process will be accelerated.

I also point out the hyped, inaccurate tone of content on that website--not a good source. For example, whoever wrote it trashes oak ("This wood is everywhere."). Yes, and those annoyingly beautiful trees are everywhere! (the writer annoys me). I challenge him/her to find any more beautiful wood than quarter-sawn white oak. Fumed & waxed, it's the hallmark of "craftsman" furniture.

Anyway: focusing too much on darkening misses the larger points that wood is organic & has a mind of its own (changing in subtle ways, both in color and dimension, long after being finished); and it offers incomparable tonal advantages over other materials. In fact, just look at the Omni line, a veritable "tonal palette" of wood. Looks are hardly the only thing happening there.

Zach obviously knows his craft. He must have chosen padauk as the upgrade for these 2 new products based on a combination of sound, looks, continuing availability/quality & workability. There's certainly precedent for this: padauk is commonly used as as a tone wood for instrument construction in Africa and other places where it grows.

Regarding color--the finished headphones do look fairly dark--I would only say, if Zach is coloring/staining the wood at all before sealing (for example, to "even out" the grain) he may want to back off that just a big for longest/best results of grain appearance. But again, he knows his craft; this is mere 2nd guessing...I haven't done many dozens of test stains/seals, and he no doubt has.

Having said all this, I admit to having my own "ZMF wood fantasy," like many on this string:

1. Suddenly, Zach offers to make Atticus HP's in buyers' choice of woods (for a limited time). Hey, it's a fantasy!
2. I immediately jump off the fence (where I seem to live) and order my Atticus in ormosia henryi, the wood I've been jonesing for in Omni's because IMO it has the perfect blend of light brown + a dash of red & pink, and the grain is striking, yet subtle. This wood makes me break out in a cold sweat.
3. Best of all, in the application of the Atticus, the relatively small pores + density/hardness of ormosia Henryi (= speed) may well have synergy with the inherently romantic voicing of this headphone (or so my fantasy goes).

(thanks for listening)

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #321 of 9,716

Nice shout out to Zach early in the video...

Live from a retirement home? 
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #322 of 9,716
*Awkward silence*

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #323 of 9,716

Having said all this, I admit to having my own "ZMF wood fantasy," like many on this string:

1. Suddenly, Zach offers to make Atticus HP's in buyers' choice of woods (for a limited time). Hey, it's a fantasy!
2. I immediately jump off the fence (where I seem to live) and order my Atticus in ormosia henryi, the wood I've been jonesing for in Omni's because IMO it has the perfect blend of light brown + a dash of red & pink, and the grain is striking, yet subtle. This wood makes me break out in a cold sweat.
3. Best of all, in the application of the Atticus, the relatively small pores + density/hardness of ormosia Henryi (= speed) may well have synergy with the inherently romantic voicing of this headphone (or so my fantasy goes).

(thanks for listening)

I'd love to see a blackwood tribute edition! I know everyone is on the purpleheart bandwagon, but I love rich dark wood.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #324 of 9,716
Hmmm .... I'm in a pickle.... I just got a new pair of headphones which I ordered prior to the announcement of these new models from ZMF ...
I am really enjoying them, in fact I'm going to sell off a few older pairs which I no longer use.

So the pickle is ... I really wanted to pre-order a pair of these new ZMF's but I think I will wait for now (rats) ... better for me to wait for more reviews ... since for this price an audition is pretty important... there is a NYC event coming up in February ... further it would be better to wait for the eventual increase in wood choices which will no doubt happen in the future ... maybe even a massdrop as well ... deep sigh .... so is this 'sad' feeling I have right now what you married guys frequently experience?

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #327 of 9,716

I appreciate the fine review grizzlybeast, but-- I agree with quisxx here. I have enough bright-ish thin-ish headphones. Hoping to go in the other direction.

From what Zach told me, I'm only really expecting a *touch less mid-bass* on the Atticus. That said, I'll be able to confirm that next week. :wink:

* Note: I fixed the wording so I didn't freak another poor soul out before they read the next page of this topic.

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #330 of 9,716
From what Zach told me, I'm only really expecting a toning down of bass on the Atticus. That said, I'll be able to confirm that next week. :wink:

I read that and screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" But in Zach we trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back