Atlanta Fall Meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #46 of 82
Well I'm curious if you'd be able to differentiate them with your eyes covered, because I think most time it's just your brain does trick on you. It will be interesting to do the experiment.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #47 of 82
Well I'm curious if you'd be able to differentiate them with your eyes covered, because I think most time it's just your brain does trick on you. It will be interesting to do the experiment.

Hence the hard to tell apart part with most recordings that are average or poor.

Check a previous post I made in the modi MB thread where they are arguing on which is superior, spdif or usb. I spent four hours A/Bing and found no difference. I was turned away from the screen and my gf hit the selection in OSX sound options and pressed the button on the modi. I couldn't tell  any difference. I know all about the placebo effect, I work with medicine and patients and do research and read endless amounts of it. I have patients that demand dilaudid over fentanyl and I give them saline and they are walking out of the door no complaints (seekers). 

There is a difference between d/s and R2R. A lot of it is in implementation and filtering, but I kept my other modi 2U just to see if one sounded better than the other. Even with an EE background I didn't think the MB needed a warm up. When I first got the multibit I actually liked  the uber better finding the multibit slightly dull and boring. After it warmed up for three hours there was no contest. I like the mulitbit. 

I'll be the first to tell you that a ton of people suffer from the placebo effect here and my post history shows it. But I do hear a difference between the multibit and the modi2U. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #48 of 82
  Hence the hard to tell apart part with most recordings that are average or poor.

Check a previous post I made in the modi MB thread where they are arguing on which is superior, spdif or usb. I spent four hours A/Bing and found no difference. I was turned away from the screen and my gf hit the selection in OSX sound options and pressed the button on the modi. I couldn't tell  any difference. I know all about the placebo effect, I work with medicine and patients and do research and read endless amounts of it. I have patients that demand dilaudid over fentanyl and I give them saline and they are walking out of the door no complaints (seekers). 

There is a difference between d/s and R2R. A lot of it is in implementation and filtering, but I kept my other modi 2U just to see if one sounded better than the other. Even with an EE background I didn't think the MB needed a warm up. When I first got the multibit I actually liked  the uber better finding the multibit slightly dull and boring. After it warmed up for three hours there was no contest. I like the mulitbit. 

I'll be the first to tell you that a ton of people suffer from the placebo effect here and my post history shows it. But I do hear a difference between the multibit and the modi2U. 

That is very interesting because I don't quite understand why dac needs warmups...

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #49 of 82

That is very interesting because I don't quite understand why dac needs warmups...

look at a schematic of an R2R dac and read about how ladder dacs work (TON of resistors that need/should have exact values), then note that resistors change value (resistance) with temperature. Your output can change (maybe not dramatically) noticeably just with temperature changes.

I did a lot of training for EE in the marine corps and actually had to past digital logic and DAC/ADC courses. It makes a difference. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #50 of 82
Have not packed yet.  I will only bring a dynamic system this time around and no electrostatic system.

Source: 
Oppo HA-1
Sony PHA-3

Amp:
Oppo HA-1
Sennheiser HDVD-800
ECP Audio DSHA-2 
ECP Audio DSHA-2 prototype
Sony PHA-3

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD-800
Sony MDR-Z7
Hifiman HE-1000
Sony MDR-CD3000

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #51 of 82
Have not packed yet.  I will only bring a dynamic system this time around and no electrostatic system.

Source: 
Oppo HA-1
Sony PHA-3

Amp:
Oppo HA-1
Sennheiser HDVD-800
ECP Audio DSHA-2 
ECP Audio DSHA-2 prototype
Sony PHA-3

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD-800
Sony MDR-Z7
Hifiman HE-1000
Sony MDR-CD3000

Can you bring the KGSSHV, I'd love to try my 007 on those :-/ just saying.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #52 of 82
Can you bring the KGSSHV, I'd love to try my 007 on those :-/ just saying.

Yes, Purk why don't you? We would all love to hear the Carbon. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #59 of 82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back