ATH WS55 vs ATH M50s (Help please)
Jun 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tygerstyle

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
    I had a nice pair of sennheiser earbuds for my first year of college but unfortunately sounds has stopped playing through the left earbud. Although I loved those, I figure I use my headphones enough to invest in a better pair and I've had my eyes set on the ATH M50s for a while now. I just heard about the WS55 from a friend but I'm not sure how the two compare. I listen to almost all music except for country and metal/screamo music. I do like my bass for those electronic and dubstep songs and I still like it to be there and felt in other genres but I don't like to overwhelm the music to the point where I can hear the lyrics clearly or it drowns everything else. Which would be better for me? Also given the price difference of 50 bucks, the money really isn't an issue unless they'll be about the same. Thanks in advance!

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Both are great options, WS55 is more fit as a portable can and M50 more for home/studio use. I heard some people say the newer WS55i that has inline mic is actually slightly different tuned (better tuned in the bass response especially) and better sounding than the non-"i" model, whether it's true or not I won't be able to confirm for you but since they are quite similarly priced I wouldn't gamble on it and just go for WS55i in case you'd opt for those.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 12
according to audio technica the 55 and 55i are the same except for the Mic and ipod compatible cord. I have only seen one UK random review to suggest otherwise, linked to about 100 times. Everything points to the m50 being n increase in class of headphones. Should be better, all reviews agree. Also a specific dollar amount you are looking for would help, given different markets and price fluctuations

also note, the m50 uses 45mm drivers, over a 25% increase in area compared to the 40mm drivers in the ws55, and the studio design of the 50, and the m50 pretty much has to be better (both being ath) though perhaps not as street viable.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
according to audio technica the 55 and 55i are the same except for the Mic and ipod compatible cord. I have only seen one UK random review to suggest otherwise, linked to about 100 times. Everything points to the m50 being n increase in class of headphones. Should be better, all reviews agree. Also a specific dollar amount you are looking for would help, given different markets and price fluctuations
also note, the m50 uses 45mm drivers, over a 25% increase in area compared to the 40mm drivers in the ws55, and the studio design of the 50, and the m50 pretty much has to be better (both being ath) though perhaps not as street viable.

Driver size is a moot point IMHO

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I am new to all of this, and I have seen evidence of what you mean. However, as one element in the overall picture, I think it is worth factoring in and being aware of. Is it not?

No not particularly, if you go into that level of detail, then housing, venting and any number of other factors become relevant, mention it all or just don't mention it. This is a case of where less is more accurate

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 12
Well, you sound like the man to ask, and it might help the OP, so I am going to throw it out at you.

How important is the aluminum casing in the ws55 and es55 vs something like the se-mj751 which is, as far as I can tell, all plastic casing?.

In one direction I am leaning toward the MJ751 due to the detacable cord-seems more durable for a family man with a baby and new one on the way. But, then I see all the plastic, and I think...crap, this has got to be less durable, and might impact sound performance as well. Then you jump in with your comments on housing, and I cant help but ask your opinion.

Basically, the ws55 cost 61 bucks here in Japan.
I can suffer through another flight and my time here with no phones, and pick up the es55 for 71 back home.
Or I can grab the MJ751 for 71 here.
or grab the pro500bk for 69, but that is probably going to look ridiculous on me.

Thoughts on important aspects of sound for these? All I know is drivers...all dynamic, all 40mm. The MJ751 has an additional 30mm driver for mids and highs. Sounds nice...but then, prices have dropped in Japan so much under MSRP that it makes me think it is seceretly crap. We have been too busy,so I wont get to listen in person for at least 3 more days, and even then will be standing up in a busy electronics store listening on my touchpad to some phones in quick succession to a couple of songs...will that really give me the whole picture? Somehow I doubt it.

So, if you have some knowledge of build, construction, drivers, etc that will help to determine if one of these is clearly less quality or even less durable, I know I and the OP would love to know. Of course, if 50 bucks doesnt matter, the OP just needs to grab the M50, imho.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Well, you sound like the man to ask, and it might help the OP, so I am going to throw it out at you.

How important is the aluminum casing in the ws55 and es55 vs something like the se-mj751 which is, as far as I can tell, all plastic casing?.

In one direction I am leaning toward the MJ751 due to the detacable cord-seems more durable for a family man with a baby and new one on the way. But, then I see all the plastic, and I think...crap, this has got to be less durable, and might impact sound performance as well. Then you jump in with your comments on housing, and I cant help but ask your opinion.

Basically, the ws55 cost 61 bucks here in Japan.
I can suffer through another flight and my time here with no phones, and pick up the es55 for 71 back home.
Or I can grab the MJ751 for 71 here.
or grab the pro500bk for 69, but that is probably going to look ridiculous on me.

Thoughts on important aspects of sound for these? All I know is drivers...all dynamic, all 40mm. The MJ751 has an additional 30mm driver for mids and highs. Sounds nice...but then, prices have dropped in Japan so much under MSRP that it makes me think it is seceretly crap. We have been too busy,so I wont get to listen in person for at least 3 more days, and even then will be standing up in a busy electronics store listening on my touchpad to some phones in quick succession to a couple of songs...will that really give me the whole picture? Somehow I doubt it.

So, if you have some knowledge of build, construction, drivers, etc that will help to determine if one of these is clearly less quality or even less durable, I know I and the OP would love to know. Of course, if 50 bucks doesnt matter, the OP just needs to grab the M50, imho.

I really do think you are going about it wrong, trying to determine the sound from that is very difficult, because driver tuning is still the main factor.

As general info: steel can be harsh/sibilant, plastic can resonate unwantingly, and creek in use. wood seems to be a good ratio of hardness to weight. And also you do get some very good quality plastic (apparently Sony MDR900.)

But I WOULD NOT BUY A HEADPHONE BASED ON THAT, am I making myself clear?
read the reviews, see what others say, and if you end up an ultrasone / AKG k240mkII situation with vastly different opinions then you know they are very source/amp dependant and take on the characteristics thereof, as well as possibly having long burn in times or being affected by pad wear in.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallrewards /img/forum/go_quote.gif

something like the se-mj751 which is, as far as I can tell, all plastic casing?.

Yes, but what a nice glossy plastic casing it is . . . its got the power of urishi.  And really, who among us doesn't like shiny objects? 
blink.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 12
I have both. It just depends on what you hope to achieve. The M50's are really for sound accuracy and is considered by many to be overall neutral. That's not saying it lacks bass or anything. It just not as pronounced like it is with the WS55/70's.  The M50's tend to be a little more cumbersome if you plan to take it out anywhere but some find it ok. It covers the ears so temperature issues MAY arise after extended listening periods. The WS55/70's are definitely more portable but lack in clarity when compared to the M50's. I'm not saying it lacks clarity, its just not as clear as the M50's. The bass is very pronounced and if you like bass-heavy music or just more thump in your music, these will suit you just fine. The ear cups also sit on top of your ear so heat might not be as much of an issue but side pressure on your ears can be after a while.

In all honesty, I find myself using the WS55's more often than my M50's. Its lighter in weight and easier to manage. I tend to like my music with a little more "thump" but still find it suitable enough for more vocal songs. For classical musical, I find the M50's yielding a little better experience. Everything else, I use my WS55's.

Keep in mind, the M50's were designed for Studio use. Not saying that you can't enjoy listening to everyday music with them but that isn't its "main" purpose. Case and point, my friend uses 2 pairs in his recording studio. Its real purpose is for sound accuracy. For casual listening, I honestly think you will enjoy the WS55's a tiny bit more.

I would just try both and see which one puts a bigger smile on your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back