ATH-WS55 Solid Bass Audio Technica are absolute junk
Apr 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Electroflux

New Head-Fier
Who in the world thought...

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS55BRD-Portable-Headphones-Red/dp/B005DB9RUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333844427&sr=1-1

Was good.  I've read countless reviews online for these and was determined that they were going to be an affordable solid bass headphones.  I just got these today, they are absolutely atrocious and here's why...

1.  They are way too small for my ears.  You must be some version of an alien to fit your ears in these things.  Why the f--- they are so small, I have no idea.  All they do is pinch my head, squish my ears and give me a headache.  Absolutely ridiculous.

2. The bass sucks balls.  I've played every dubstep song that I have in my music collection and my turtle beach headset has better bass then these.  These are supposed to be SOLID BASS "professional" headphones.  More like Solid Crap.

3. There is no volume control on the cord.  Why would anyone want headphones without volume control?  How is it fun to constantly have to keep going to your desktop and manually changing the volume when you're busy doing things? It's not.

4. The headband on the top doesn't have enough padding and is nowhere near comfortable at all.

5. They LOOK good, on the ear part anyway.  When you put these on, they stick outward like a triangle.  So you look like a moron wearing some triangle shaped headphones, What. That's just dumb.

I'm sorry, but whoever thinks audio technica is good, is a fool.  I have yet to buy any headphones from them that are nearly anywhere near good.  Now I have to send these back and go through another painful process of packaging these properly, ONCE AGAIN.

With that said, what headphones are GOOD?  I just want some nice and preferably affordable bass headphones so I can listen to my dubstep in peace.  Also, over the ear should mean OVER THE EAR, unlike this garbage.  They can have the best bass in the world but if they are uncomfortable, then they are trash.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 73
Wow, 1 post and you're already looking to get banned? I agree the comfort is terrible but the bass is the best I've heard of any headphone. I don't know what you are talking about, I have 2 TB's and the WS55 kicks both their asses in the bass department.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 73

Quote:
You can get banned for stating your opinion??

There's a difference between stating your opinion and something that sounds like complete flamebait. Plus a lot of the points were given off as facts, when in fact they are just the OP's opinions.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 73

Quote:
What other headphones are there?

These are too uncomfortable to care about anything else it has to offer.

Why don't you get some beats? They have both the bass and comfort your looking for. Or the Sony XB series. They're a lot cheaper and apparently really comfortable.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 73

Quote:
Why don't you get some beats? They have both the bass and comfort your looking for. Or the Sony XB series. They're a lot cheaper and apparently really comfortable.

I've heard that beats are overpriced for the bass...

I listened to them at Best Buy too and I was skeptical to see if there's good bass or not...

I'll check out Sony XB, though.  I'm desperate at this point.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 73

Quote:
I've heard that beats are overpriced for the bass...

I listened to them at Best Buy too and I was skeptical to see if there's good bass or not...

I'll check out Sony XB, though.  I'm desperate at this point.

Don't worry about all that. If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters. Most headphones are colored in one way or another so you're never really going to hear how the artist intended you to hear unless you spend a lot of money. Although the opposite could be true that the artists made their songs knowing you would buy a bass heavy can so they adjusted to that.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 73
I'm going to buy this despite of what you just said. 
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 73
I have the WS-55s, and agree with the part about how they look stupid on the head and can see why you might find the cups to be too small if you didn't get to see them in person, but that aside I pretty much disagree with everything the OP has said. Bass response is excellent for a portable set, they aren't uncomfortable and if you're going to buy a set of headphones knowing they lack inline controls then complain that they lack inline controls then that's your own damn fault. I bought them for £60 (Roughly $90) and am more than happy with them.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 73
Saying they are complete crap is quite misleading. The bass is supposed to be controlled. Perhaps you're looking for uncontrolled and bloated bass, looks like the beats are for you anyway, and they are good for dubstep.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 73
While I haven't heard these particular ones, that you called out everyone who likes Audio-Technica as fools is pretty hilarious. Perhaps you won't ever have the fortune of listening to their excellent top and mid-tier offerings (even the ubiquitous M-50s), but please don't broadcast your ignorance this way. Making an entire topic to trash something you don't like and then calling out one of the great established brands is a pretty quick way to look stupid, hmm?

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 73

Quote:
While I haven't heard these particular ones, that you called out everyone who likes Audio-Technica as fools is pretty hilarious. Perhaps you won't ever have the fortune of listening to their excellent top and mid-tier offerings (even the ubiquitous M-50s), but please don't broadcast your ignorance this way. Making an entire topic to trash something you don't like and then calling out one of the great established brands is a pretty quick way to look stupid, hmm?

True, I love my ATH-SQ5s, I preferred them over the M50 (perhaps only me) and found them better than anything I have heard that costs 2x more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back