ATH-WS55 Solid Bass Audio Technica are absolute junk
Apr 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #31 of 73
lol

I guess I'm a foollish alien for loving my W1000X, which fits my head, and abnormal for not complaing about volume control on the cord.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #32 of 73

Quote:
Well, I don't like inline mic because I feel they get in the way. There are many like tinyman who likes it though. 

I hate mics, as they usually don't work on android...
But that doesn't mean mic'ed earphones sound worse...LOL

Well, that's true. But I use dedicated MP3s, so Mics and controls obviously don't work.

May 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 73

Quote:
Well, that's true. But I use dedicated MP3s, so Mics and controls obviously don't work.

they are more prone to damage because there are more moving parts...  so not only do they not work... they will eventually affect the normal function of the cable... also.. you can argue that more cables are going to cause inteference but the EE people are just going to laugh.. well.. who knows...

May 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #34 of 73

Quote:

they are more prone to damage because there are more moving parts...  so not only do they not work... they will eventually affect the normal function of the cable... also.. you can argue that more cables are going to cause inteference but the EE people are just going to laugh.. well.. who knows...

True, it's not a problem if it's removable, but the fact is that it's not. 

P.S. Nice custom artwork by the way, it think I saw it on the UM facebook page once. Evangelion ^^ 

May 1, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #35 of 73

Quote:

True, it's not a problem if it's removable, but the fact is that it's not. 

P.S. Nice custom artwork by the way, it think I saw it on the UM facebook page once. Evangelion ^^ 

Thanks
tongue.gif
 I was hoping the transparent black would be darker... but turned out to be a very light smoky black... should have chosen the opaque black which would have made a better contrast....

well... I only believe what I hear... actually I don't even believe what I head since hearing is so dependent on personal bias and other senses... unless a large sampled double blind test is conducted... all sayings regarding cable should be taken with a grain of salt...

May 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 73

Quote:

Thanks
tongue.gif
 I was hoping the transparent black would be darker... but turned out to be a very light smoky black... should have chosen the opaque black which would have made a better contrast....

well... I only believe what I hear... actually I don't even believe what I head since hearing is so dependent on personal bias and other senses... unless a large sampled double blind test is conducted... all sayings regarding cable should be taken with a grain of salt...

I see, still nice however! 

True, I do use reviews as references, but it still largely depends on my personal preferences. 

May 24, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #37 of 73
I'm feeling good as a new member (just registered yesterday) because of the way most of you guys responded to the OP -- with tact, patience, and diplomacy, and still giving out good advice. To go back to the original subject, because of budget considerations, I'm considering the ATH-WS55 possibly instead of the ATH-M50 because it is supposed to have better mids than the M50. Would the WS55 be good for listening to vocals, especially harmony (the Brothers Four) and choral groups (Chanticleer)?

May 30, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #38 of 73
Quote:
I'm feeling good as a new member (just registered yesterday) because of the way most of you guys responded to the OP -- with tact, patience, and diplomacy, and still giving out good advice. To go back to the original subject, because of budget considerations, I'm considering the ATH-WS55 possibly instead of the ATH-M50 because it is supposed to have better mids than the M50. Would the WS55 be good for listening to vocals, especially harmony (the Brothers Four) and choral groups (Chanticleer)?

Sorry for the late reply, but it seems that the mids of the ATH-M50 is more forward than the slightly laid back ones on the M50. There is also more bass on the WS55 although the M50 still has a good amount. The M50 however, seems to have a larger soundstage and better separation of instruments(so vocals singing in harmony may sound better?). And yes, the WS55 is good for listening to vocals, I would say more so than the M50. However, if you're looking at the M50, I would highly recommend the M50LE or M50 white over the original, those 2 have a significantly more neutral sound without the slightly harsh/piercing highs I heard with the original M50. 

May 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #39 of 73
I just saw this thread for the first time, and the first post just boggled my mind.....
blink.gif

When I listen to the WS55, this is me....
atsmile.gif

May 31, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #40 of 73
thanks, jeremypsp; the reason I was going for the WS55 was budget and the description that it was a 'baby M50.' however, i read somewhere it had 'low impedance' and therefore I might have to turn up my Sansa Fuze to its full volume to be able to hear it decently. is that correct? I don't like (read can't afford) using a portable amp.

May 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #41 of 73
I got more than enough volume coming out of my cowon j3 to drive these.  I was at about 3/4 volume and i love my music LOUD.....

ps...i actually like the 55's better than the m-50's.

May 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

If your primary focus is vocals I'd probably look else where. The WS55 does pop/mainstream vocals very good, and has a nice coloration up in the treble that gives it a sense of air, but soundstage is pretty small. Doesn't feel congested, not like the CAL's, but for primary vocals you might want something more accurate than mainstream.

May 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:
thanks, jeremypsp; the reason I was going for the WS55 was budget and the description that it was a 'baby M50.' however, i read somewhere it had 'low impedance' and therefore I might have to turn up my Sansa Fuze to its full volume to be able to hear it decently. is that correct? I don't like (read can't afford) using a portable amp.

I have someone I know who had problems driving his M50LE with his Sansa Fuze, which he claims it's not enough to power it. Although that's not the case with my Walkman S750. But yes, the WS55 are much easier to power and having low impedance means the exact opposite, meaning you would be able to get a good volume without turning them up so much, but sensitivity also plays a part, but the WS55 are noticeably easier to power than the M50. 

May 31, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #44 of 73
I stand corrected there, jeremypsp, on the matter of low impedance. I went looking for that review again (it was Steve Gutenberg on cnet) and it turned out that it was the low sensitivity of the WS55 he was referring to. the WS55 has low impedance which I now know (thank you) makes a headphone easier to drive but it also has low sensitivity which means you have to turn the volume up on your mp3 player to hear it well.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:
I stand corrected there, jeremypsp, on the matter of low impedance. I went looking for that review again (it was Steve Gutenberg on cnet) and it turned out that it was the low sensitivity of the WS55 he was referring to. the WS55 has low impedance which I now know (thank you) makes a headphone easier to drive but it also has low sensitivity which means you have to turn the volume up on your mp3 player to hear it well.

Yup, both are directly proportionate to each other. But the WS55 can be powered easily, so there's nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back