ATH-W1000X Thread!
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,156 of 1,994
Those photos aren't so badly ruined. I don't think its the fiber glass or the rubber ring that is causing the noise. Make sure all screws are tight but DO NOT over tighten...

If all is intact and all good, I just hope you didn't blow your drivers. Even though, I know they can handle high volume listening.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #1,157 of 1,994

That looks okay to me. Doesn't look like there could have been anything that would cause any undue vibration.

The fiberglass would be compressed, and when so, that gap would "magically" vanish. If the fiberglass was loose, then you'd hear more high frequencies.

At this point, I'm kind of at a loss as to what's causing that noise you're hearing at high frequencies. I've driven the W1000X to ear splitting levels and I've never heard that harsh treble.

Does that happen on both channels or just very specifically on one channel?

Oh, and also, when you put the ear cups back on, make sure not to tighten them too much. Doing so would make the ear cups go in too deep, and then you'd block out the openings that are there to tune low frequencies. Blocking those ports is okay, but I don't think that's what you'd want.

Those photos aren't so badly ruined. I don't think its the fiber glass or the rubber ring that is causing the noise. Make sure all screws are tight but DO NOT over tighten...

If all is intact and all good, I just hope you didn't blow your drivers. Even though, I know they can handle high volume listening.

they can apparently handle 2w of power [2,000 mW] :O to put that into perspective, that would be more than an O2 could give right? I mean an the o2 has a max of what like 800mW ish or so? My own pb1 maxes out at 1.4w, and that's on High Gain via the Balanced Out. So I would think it would be very hard to over drive them [props to Audio Technica on that btw] 

Also these... are not the best portable cans xD, the sub par isolation is Murder if your listening in a car, or any kind semi loud enviroment 

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #1,158 of 1,994

they can apparently handle 2w of power [2,000 mW] :O to put that into perspective, that would be more than an O2 could give right? I mean an the o2 has a max of what like 800mW ish or so? My own pb1 maxes out at 1.4w, and that's on High Gain via the Balanced Out. So I would think it would be very hard to over drive them [props to Audio Technica on that btw] 

Also these... are not the best portable cans xD, the sub par isolation is Murder if your listening in a car, or any kind semi loud enviroment 

Very true...

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,159 of 1,994
i dont even listen on high volumes, i was saying that the symptom looks like if you were listening a cheap can in high volumes

Imma send my can to audio technica for a diagnose, see whats goin on

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,160 of 1,994
  i dont even listen on high volumes, i was saying that the symptom looks like if you were listening a cheap can in high volumes

Keep us posted, hope it's something A/T could just fix it for FREE (fingers crossed).  Best of luck to you my friend...  

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,161 of 1,994

Keep us posted, hope it's something A/T could just fix it for FREE (fingers crossed).  Best of luck to you my friend...  

Me too man! Keep us POSTED

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,163 of 1,994

i will, thanks a lot guys,

my can is still in warranty technically, however I checked the "out of warranty" box cuz I modded it.....

Well good for you, I hope it works out for you! 

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,164 of 1,994
Just remembered that I wrote that I wanted to increase bass of my ATH-W1000X in the past. I must say that I no longer hold that opinion.

I think the bass in stock configuration is not bad at all. With the right amp, (currently my Apex Glacier) the (mid)bass actually has a really nice texture. I think my ATH-W1000X are probably my favourite "just listen to the music" headphones. I've just really been missing these for the past few weeks when I boxed them up and I even thought I might sell them, but it's just not quite the same with my other headphones. These can really get my feet moving. Toes tapping. Just really musical.

Quote:
  Hmm, I think removing that might decrease bass. (not sure actually, and I might want to try increase bass)

I'm a little bit tempted to try the damping, but not exactly that tempted to take my W1000X apart.

And I think I found an image of the yellow stuff:
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/image.php?id=24551&row=1
http://www.hd.club.tw/thread-109299-1-1.html

Quote:
  Bingo! There it is, although I did NOT remove that stuff... i added Dynamat below it! And the w1000x needs it's bass reduced! The Mod and the L3000 pads Tighten the entire sound stage up! Making it a woody sexy mid compliment to the dt 880 [which has better bass and highs although it is NOT V shaped and out of my Matrix has some amazing lower mids :O [almost as good as the w1000x] 

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,165 of 1,994
Just remembered that I wrote that I wanted to increase bass of my ATH-W1000X in the past. I must say that I no longer hold that opinion.

I think the bass in stock configuration is not bad at all. With the right amp, (currently my Apex Glacier) the (mid)bass actually has a really nice texture. I think my ATH-W1000X are probably my favourite "just listen to the music" headphones. I've just really been missing these for the past few weeks when I boxed them up and I even thought I might sell them, but it's just not quite the same with my other headphones. These can really get my feet moving. Toes tapping. Just really musical.

Yea I'm glad you like it stock :D

I rember that for ME stock bass was nice for edm but TERRIBLE for other music, so after my mods, I do wish it had a little more bass for EDM BUT it is SO PERFECT for what I call "normal" music. FOr music that I prefer balanced, the w1000x are top notch :D I'm still impressed how well imaged and wide the sound stage is on them even Single End out of my Pb1 and Hm801 ;O 

So yea I reduced the bass, I did that mostly with the L3000 pads, which TIGHTEN the bass a lot of remove a GOOD bit of deacy

Also how do the J$money pads sound? More or less bass than stock? 

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,166 of 1,994
I'm kinda wondering... WHAT IS THE UPGRADE to these things :O

Billson likes his WOdden ES10 but those are bassy heavy I hear! IF they are a fix for the Treble of the W1000x MAYBE I might look into to it, but you guys know I used the L3000k pads to tone down some of that bass right

anyways any one have an idea of what... a neutral [ish] wooden back upgrade would be? I'm thinking the Auzede LCD XC is going to be... to dark. Not bright enough imo, but it might pair nice with my bright AGD NFB 10ES2

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,167 of 1,994
  I'm kinda wondering... WHAT IS THE UPGRADE to these things :O

Billson likes his WOdden ES10 but those are bassy heavy I hear! IF they are a fix for the Treble of the W1000x MAYBE I might look into to it, but you guys know I used the L3000k pads to tone down some of that bass right

anyways any one have an idea of what... a neutral [ish] wooden back upgrade would be? I'm thinking the Auzede LCD XC is going to be... to dark. Not bright enough imo, but it might pair nice with my bright AGD NFB 10ES2

I love the Kenwood KH K-1000, reminds me if you took the sound of the W1000x mids, with tighter bass and threw in the DT880 treble. I prefer them to my D7k.  But they are no longer made and are hard to find.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,169 of 1,994
  I love the Kenwood KH K-1000, reminds me if you took the sound of the W1000x mids, with tighter bass and threw in the DT880 treble. I prefer them to my D7k.  But they are no longer made and are hard to find.

Meh that already sounds like my Modded W1000x :/ L3000 pads and Purrin made the bass tighter, and even the DT 880 treble is a little grainy... still a nice though :3 
  Heh, http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2417 I guess they are not that hard to find.

and yea I also love Audio Cubes, great place to go for imports! 

Still though, they may be... esstially better or on par with a modded w1000x, I need something a step above it! Like T1 Bass and Treble with the W1000x Mids

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,170 of 1,994

Meh that already sounds like my Modded W1000x :/ L3000 pads and Purrin made the bass tighter, and even the DT 880 treble is a little grainy... still a nice though :3
and yea I also love Audio Cubes, great place to go for imports!

Still though, they may be... esstially better or on par with a modded w1000x, I need something a step above it! Like T1 Bass and Treble with the W1000x Mids

I was comparing them to the modded W1000x. They are two steps above to my ears, but I like low sub bass and warm mids. the T1 is 1200-1300 dollars, these are 400. You may remember me, I am the guy that told you to mod yours.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back