ATH-W1000X Thread!
Oct 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,171 of 1,994
   I was comparing them to the modded W1000x. They are two steps above to my ears, but I like low sub bass and warm mids. the T1 is 1200-1300 dollars, these are 400. You may remember me, I am the guy that told you to mod yours.
wink.gif

I'll have to get ahold of it and see how it sounds! and the T1 is like $800 or so here on head fi, I don't like to buy new. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,172 of 1,994
  I'm kinda wondering... WHAT IS THE UPGRADE to these things :O

Billson likes his WOdden ES10 but those are bassy heavy I hear! IF they are a fix for the Treble of the W1000x MAYBE I might look into to it, but you guys know I used the L3000k pads to tone down some of that bass right

anyways any one have an idea of what... a neutral [ish] wooden back upgrade would be? I'm thinking the Auzede LCD XC is going to be... to dark. Not bright enough imo, but it might pair nice with my bright AGD NFB 10ES2

The ES10 is bass-light compared to W1000X.

In fact, the wood enclosure causes my ES10 to sound "brighter" than even the W1000X. But despite that, the ES10 does have lower upper mid (6K to 8K) compared to the W1000X, so it's not as sibilant. And midrange on the ES10 is still "fuller" than the W1000X.

Those were the considerations I made before deciding to push my modded W1000X away. I really loved the headphone. Nice, tight bass with good impact and expansive soundstage. It was perfect for orchestral or any classical music.

But if I had it my way, I would have transferred the ES10 drivers into the W1000X instead. Maybe I should have done that instead of making new enclosure for the ES10...

Anyway... on that topic about a possible upgrade to the W1000X... I don't doubt that the W5000 will be a candidate.

And no one has opened up a W5000 and done the same purrin's mod. I get the feeling it'll go well with the W5000.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,173 of 1,994
  The ES10 is bass-light compared to W1000X.

In fact, the wood enclosure causes my ES10 to sound "brighter" than even the W1000X. But despite that, the ES10 does have lower upper mid (6K to 8K) compared to the W1000X, so it's not as sibilant. And midrange on the ES10 is still "fuller" than the W1000X.

Those were the considerations I made before deciding to push my modded W1000X away. I really loved the headphone. Nice, tight bass with good impact and expansive soundstage. It was perfect for orchestral or any classical music.

But if I had it my way, I would have transferred the ES10 drivers into the W1000X instead. Maybe I should have done that instead of making new enclosure for the ES10...

Anyway... on that topic about a possible upgrade to the W1000X... I don't doubt that the W5000 will be a candidate.

And no one has opened up a W5000 and done the same purrin's mod. I get the feeling it'll go well with the W5000.

hmmm the ES10 is bass light :O sheesh man the w10000x after purrins mods and L3000 pads is... not very bassy imo. It sits inbetween my DT 880 and HE 400 honestly

But there is so little about the W5000, other than on the FlagSHip Headphones Compared saying that it sounded horrible... maybe I Need to visit the W5000 thread 

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,174 of 1,994
I swear these cans sound like sex on my ears today! I bumped the volume alittle higher than what I usually listen at [which is very quite] and Oh mai... the mids are smoother than I remember! [Smooth but still with a nice edge to them, or rather a nice tactility] 

Me gusta, Might try the KenWood after I attempt a balanced Tube set up with the W1000x I really liked tube amps for a time, I soon started to realize the cheap ones I owned had well very flat dynamics and a lack of details, hence I started listening to my Matrix M Stage more and more [which was a rather warm SS [scares me to think how warm those Hybrid Tubes must have been q.q] 

That said, my current SS is a little to cold for the w1000x [the Hm801 and pb1 r perfecto imo, heck my portable rig kicks my old at home rig in the rear xD] still that said I would like to enjoy them at home, although... with the balanced dt 880 next to me there seems to b no point to listening to the W1000x at home [since I don't need isolation] and again the NFB 10ES2 is to cold, so the intimacy of the w1000x that I like out of the Hm801 and Pb1 is gone, making them essitally... a half backed dt 880 imo.

So that said, my w1000x deserves to be driven fully balanced out a tube amp <3, thinking of going with [as I've mentioned before] with the LD MK VI+ [with some aftermarket driver tubes asap] 

that said though, I still adore it for on the go listening! I need to compare my at home with my portable actually :O 

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,175 of 1,994
  I swear these cans sound like sex on my ears today! I bumped the volume alittle higher than what I usually listen at [which is very quite] and Oh mai... the mids are smoother than I remember! [Smooth but still with a nice edge to them, or rather a nice tactility] 

Me gusta, Might try the KenWood after I attempt a balanced Tube set up with the W1000x I really liked tube amps for a time, I soon started to realize the cheap ones I owned had well very flat dynamics and a lack of details, hence I started listening to my Matrix M Stage more and more [which was a rather warm SS [scares me to think how warm those Hybrid Tubes must have been q.q] 

That said, my current SS is a little to cold for the w1000x [the Hm801 and pb1 r perfecto imo, heck my portable rig kicks my old at home rig in the rear xD] still that said I would like to enjoy them at home, although... with the balanced dt 880 next to me there seems to b no point to listening to the W1000x at home [since I don't need isolation] and again the NFB 10ES2 is to cold, so the intimacy of the w1000x that I like out of the Hm801 and Pb1 is gone, making them essitally... a half backed dt 880 imo.

So that said, my w1000x deserves to be driven fully balanced out a tube amp <3, thinking of going with [as I've mentioned before] with the LD MK VI+ [with some aftermarket driver tubes asap] 

that said though, I still adore it for on the go listening! I need to compare my at home with my portable actually :O 

Yes...  I do feel the same way with mine as well.  To me w1000x just does something different that my other cans can't.  

Have you ever thought about re-cabling?

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,176 of 1,994

Yes...  I do feel the same way with mine as well.  To me w1000x just does something different that my other cans can't.  

Have you ever thought about re-cabling?

I have, the biggest issue I have with the re cable is living without it for a month xD 

I've already got a some one to do it, as well [Zombie X] he offers reables for about $170... gonna see if he'll take $200 even and do me a tight braid 1meter cable with a outer shell [I don't want to see the braid] might see if he can do a partial Coating, leave the braid exposed at the Y spilt for the w1000x

either way the biggest... cost of the recable would be not hainvg the w1000x for a month xD 

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,177 of 1,994
  I have, the biggest issue I have with the re cable is living without it for a month xD 

I've already got a some one to do it, as well [Zombie X] he offers reables for about $170... gonna see if he'll take $200 even and do me a tight braid 1meter cable with a outer shell [I don't want to see the braid] might see if he can do a partial Coating, leave the braid exposed at the Y spilt for the w1000x

either way the biggest... cost of the recable would be not hainvg the w1000x for a month xD 

Very true...  I'm also deciding who should be the GUY?   I believe it'll be well worth the $150-$200 due to these are one of my most "go to" cans.  LMK what you decide on because I'm still un-sure who I will be sending mine to.   

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,178 of 1,994
  Very true...  I'm also deciding who should be the GUY?   I believe it'll be well worth the $150-$200 due to these are one of my most "go to" cans.  LMK what you decide on because I'm still un-sure who I will be sending mine to.   

I've been asking Zombie about prices for ages, so I really ought to finally buy from him

also let a friend of mine listen to my headphones, she found the w1000x more natrual and enjoyable [for EDM and Rock] 

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,179 of 1,994
  I've been asking Zombie about prices for ages, so I really ought to finally buy from him

also let a friend of mine listen to my headphones, she found the w1000x more natrual and enjoyable [for EDM and Rock] 

Enjoyable?  No Doubt!

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,180 of 1,994
  Enjoyable?  No Doubt!

Sadly that was on day one of our listening session, I got a much nicer picture today of her with my HE 400 [sorry guys] she did how ever enjoy the w1000x over the HE 400 sound wise, the upper mid dip sounded "un unatrual" to her [which it is, my HE 400 are for EDM only] 

still though a more natural smile in the HE 400 pic from today [seeing as that w1000x pic was totally SPUR of the moment so... she was spooked] 

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,181 of 1,994
Hey guys, 
Got a quick question
Are these significantly harder to drive than the A900X?
Those can run well practically off everything [or namely off the Clip+ in my case, for now]
They can somewhat benefit from amping but the difference is not too big + I want them for portable use, but I will probably get something for them, depending if I like the sound off the clip or not.

Do these have a different architecture? Is it due to the wooden cups?

The W1000X are practically the 900X's bigger brother so I thought they'd be about as hard to drive?

But according to you folks,these significantly benefit from amping/DACing, while the 900 don't really.

Would they be better off the Clip+ than the 900X? I am not planning to use these with desktop amps probably, so they are not gonna get there, but a modest portable amp is a possibility.

They are about 2x the price of the 900X right now, for me.

Thank for any info!
Cheers,
Luke

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,182 of 1,994
  Hey guys, 
Got a quick question
Are these significantly harder to drive than the A900X?
Those can run well practically off everything [or namely off the Clip+ in my case, for now]
They can somewhat benefit from amping but the difference is not too big + I want them for portable use, but I will probably get something for them, depending if I like the sound off the clip or not.

Do these have a different architecture? Is it due to the wooden cups?

The W1000X are practically the 900X's bigger brother so I thought they'd be about as hard to drive?

But according to you folks,these significantly benefit from amping/DACing, while the 900 don't really.

Would they be better off the Clip+ than the 900X? I am not planning to use these with desktop amps probably, so they are not gonna get there, but a modest portable amp is a possibility.

They are about 2x the price of the 900X right now, for me.

Thank for any info!
Cheers,
Luke

Hey Luke,

The a900x are more portable than the w1000x.  w1000x would work without an amp but that defeats the purpose of having it.  I would suggest to get a Fiio e17 or e12 for these to come alive.  Fiio isn't too expensive and they work great.

As for sound quality of the a900x vs w1000x?  I did a/b comparison and HANDS DOWN w1000x takes the belt, not just a hair but by a pretty far distance.  Not just the wooden cups that's different but a totally different driver as well.  If your finances allows it, go for the w1000x, you won't regret it.  

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,183 of 1,994
Hey Luke,

The a900x are more portable than the w1000x.  w1000x would work without an amp but that defeats the purpose of having it.  I would suggest to get a Fiio e17 or e12 for these to come alive.  Fiio isn't too expensive and they work great.

As for sound quality of the a900x vs w1000x?  I did a/b comparison and HANDS DOWN w1000x takes the belt, not just a hair but by a pretty far distance.  Not just the wooden cups that's different but a totally different driver as well.  If your finances allows it, go for the w1000x, you won't regret it.  

Hi thanks for the info.
Though I think because this.is my first AT headphone, I'll go with the 900X for now.
The discount is probably ending today and I'd have to get an amp and an adapter on top of that...
It seems the 900X is by no means a bad headphone and it should give me a good idea about the house sound.
If I like it then I'll consider the more expensive products like the 1000X or the amazing 3000ANV :wink:
Thanks and cheers
L.

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,185 of 1,994
Hi thanks for the info.
Though I think because this.is my first AT headphone, I'll go with the 900X for now.
The discount is probably ending today and I'd have to get an amp and an adapter on top of that...
It seems the 900X is by no means a bad headphone and it should give me a good idea about the house sound.
If I like it then I'll consider the more expensive products like the 1000X or the amazing 3000ANV
wink.gif

Thanks and cheers
L.

Ehh the W3000 is a whole different animal than the w1000x. The w1000x is actually VERY balanced, where as the W3000 ANV has a LOT MORE COLOR and forward mids. Actually the W3000 ANV might sound nice with my UBER COLD 10ES2... teh 10es2 kills my w1000x

That said I do love my w1000x with my Hm801 and pb1

Hi,
my W1000x sounds great with Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp.!!!
Great pairing, sounds warm and airy (after 30 minutes warming up..).
Recommended..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back