ATH-M50s LOVE!
Aug 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

wms3

New Head-Fier
Just got mine from B&H Photo and they are great. A bit heavy, but good low end, smooth highs, not at all overly bright. Thanks to a lot of input from this forum, Im happy!

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 48
Congrats! Getting a new headphone you love is always a good thing! (I wish I knew what that felt like again, it's been too long)

Hopefully, you will get good life out of them, instead of being struck with the upgrade bug. Have fun with them.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 48
I'm with you on the M50 love...I've never been a big headphone guy and I've always went with IEMs for the most part but last week I decided i wanted to get a decent set for listening to music loud late at night.  I went with Grado off the bat because I've got a bunch of friends that are big Grado guys.  I picked up the SR80i and used them for about a week giving them plenty of time to burn in ~100 hours.  They sounded great and all, much better than most IEMs I've had in the past, but there was just something missing to me.  Maybe it's because I didn't like the "open" feel of them being used to IEMs.  I also wanted a closed headphone because of sound leakage.  I travel quite a bit and I don't want to disturb neighboring passengers.

So I returned them and got some M50s.  HOLY CRAP...so much better for my tastes and they sounded really good out of the box to me.  Hopefully after a few more days of burn they will be similar because I'd hate for the profile to change too much because I'm really happy with them as they are.  I'm a huge fan now and I can't see going to any other headphone as I'm not a huge audiophile.  90% of my listening is on a Cowon J3 mp3 player so it's not like I'll ever be hooked up to an AMP or anything.  Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my Audio Technica love...and for 100 bucks or so, they are a steal in my opinion.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 48
Hi, my name is shane, and I'm a M50 fanboy.
(participants say: "Hi shane")

I've not listened to my M50's in 3 days and it's really difficult for me. I've lately become obsessed with finding the right IEM's for me and have just neglected my beloved M50.
As hard as all this is, I vow to get back to listening to my wonderful M50's just as soon as I can.

Thank you all for the support.

(now back to our regularly scheduled adoration)

shane

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 48

Quote:
Hi, my name is shane, and I'm a M50 fanboy.
(participants say: "Hi shane")

I've not listened to my M50's in 3 days and it's really difficult for me. I've lately become obsessed with finding the right IEM's for me and have just neglected my beloved M50.
As hard as all this is, I vow to get back to listening to my wonderful M50's just as soon as I can.

Thank you all for the support.

(now back to our regularly scheduled adoration)

shane

rolleyes.gif

You can always listen to the M50s while you decide whether to click on the UM3X checkout button.  Might even help you make your decision.  
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 48
I just got mine, too. Love them. Good bass. I wish the high end was a little brighter, but you can't have it all.
Great companion to my open phones... as I can just throw this on when I dont wanna disturb the wife.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 48

Quote:
I just got mine, too. Love them. Good bass. I wish the high end was a little brighter, but you can't have it all.
Great companion to my open phones... as I can just throw this on when I dont wanna disturb the wife.

Actually, give them some time and perhaps an amp and you will get some brightness in that treble.  I know someone that said it was almost too much!  Its some of the best treble I have heard from a warm phone.  Its cool like that.  You can get detail but what you won't get is revealing clarity.  Not in the repertoire.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 48

Quote:
Actually, give them some time and perhaps an amp and you will get some brightness in that treble.  I know someone that said it was almost too much!  Its some of the best treble I have heard from a warm phone.  Its cool like that.  You can get detail but what you won't get is revealing clarity.  Not in the repertoire.

x2.
Indeed. These really break-in well. I found most changes occur within the first 25 hours... or so. YMMV

shane

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 48

Quote:
 ......HOLY CRAP...so much better for my tastes and they sounded really good out of the box to me.  Hopefully after a few more days of burn they will be similar because I'd hate for the profile to change too much because I'm really happy with them as they are. ....

Exactly the way i feel, i don't want them to change at all! I hope the burn in is so subtle i cant hear it!

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 48
dang it, shane!  you've changed avatars again.  from zeke, to mr. tyner, and now to edgar allen poe with electrostats?
biggrin.gif

okay - back on topic. 
to me, the m50 scales so well.  better than the srh840, i've recently learned.
and it also has tremendous headroom.  not that i like to blast my music, but the m50 really goes and goes before breaking up and losing its composure.

an impressive headphone, regardless of the price tag.
even more impressive when you consider the price.

cheers!
the wuss

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 48

Quote:
dang it, shane!  you've changed avatars again.  from zeke, to mr. tyner, and now to edgar allen poe with electrostats?
biggrin.gif

Sorry... OT.
Yeah, it's in response to a discussion re. microphonics. In regards to wires and plastic sheathing, I said the temple pieces of my glasses were tap, tap, tapping on my IEM. And well, that set a discussion and Photoshop motion as I replaced Mr. Tyner with E.A.P. It'll be back to Zeke next week... 
biggrin.gif

Back on topic.

Yes, it these M50's really never fail to amaze me. With all the various cans and IEM's I burn through... They are my most enjoyable.

shane

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 48
My first post here.
Just got my M50's 2 weeks back and have been listening to them a lot because the sound is just amazing with perfect bass (I'm a basshead
ksc75smile.gif
). Not as comfortable as the Senn HD555's i tried but way better sound in my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back