ATH-M50's for bassy music, or alternatives?
Feb 19, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 38
could anyone identify the headphones wyfell has in his display picture? there denons but i dont know which ones
confused_face%281%29.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #17 of 38
Well the reason I used amazon instead is because if you look, that ebay seller only accepts exchanges if defective, no refunds. Then again I could've sold them back to someone at the same price considering they are at such a low price already. If I remember correctly I think one or two people from this thread bought them through that ebay seller.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538984/great-deal-crossfade-lp-s-129-99-on-amazon

Jameshillbilly also got a pair or two from that seller and had a good experience... (this is from a PM with him)
"I would consider the eBay seller, they're being sold auction style and going for way under $100. I have made multiple purchases from them and had no problems."

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 38
i am so sick of researching headphones.... even with the m50s which everyone on here seems to love, i read mixed reviews about the bass.  some say its good, some say its lacking... i never would have imagined it would be so hard to choose a pair of headphones!!!!!

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #19 of 38
I would say if you want to guarantee you don't have a bass light headphone but don't boomy bass either the Denon DN-HP700 will definitely rock your world. Excllent tight, deep, and impactfull bass, solid midrange, and crisp sharp detailed highs. I have heard the Denon A100 and much much prefer the sound of the HP700. I also have heard the M50 (newer model I believe) and the M50 was not nearly the headphone soundwise as the HP700 in my opinion as it lacked the same bass and was rounded off in the treble as well. I suspect at higher volumes it might be better especially from a fatigue perspective but at normal volume levels I muched prefer the HP700.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #22 of 38

Quote:
For a good punchy bass, check out the Ultrasone hps.

HFI-580 right? I've read some good stuff about those as well but they cost $149 (B&H)

Quote:
I would say if you want to guarantee you don't have a bass light headphone but don't boomy bass either the Denon DN-HP700 will definitely rock your world. Excllent tight, deep, and impactfull bass, solid midrange, and crisp sharp detailed highs. I have heard the Denon A100 and much much prefer the sound of the HP700. I also have heard the M50 (newer model I believe) and the M50 was not nearly the headphone soundwise as the HP700 in my opinion as it lacked the same bass and was rounded off in the treble as well. I suspect at higher volumes it might be better especially from a fatigue perspective but at normal volume levels I muched prefer the HP700.

I think I might go with these, B&H has them for $99.95 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544653-REG/Denon_DN_HP700_DN_HP700_Professional_DJ_Headphones.html

are these ok without an amp? source is my lap top

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 38
I use my HP700 with and without an amp. Without is from my iPhone 3GS. They sound better with more amperage but I like them both ways. That's a good price on them BTW and I have used B&H Photo in the past and had great service from them.

To be blunt about the HP700, I bought them to be a portable alternative to my Denon AH-D7000 which is Denon's flagship full size headphone, hoping they would give me a percentage of the D7000 sound qualities. So far they have surpassed that goal so much that I have caught myself A/B testing the two pair and got caught up in music and thought well I better switch to the HP700 only to realize I was actually using the HP700 and thought I had the D7000 on. I haven't started my review of these yet but will be doing so very soon and they will be getting an extremely favorable review by me, more so than any headphone I have reviewed due to their price/performance ratio.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
could anyone identify the headphones wyfell has in his display picture? there denons but i dont know which ones
confused_face%281%29.gif

Those are the Denon A100 100 Anniversary Portable woody. I have had a chance to hear them and found they were a bit boomy and had a bit of the cavern effect (echo). They are very beautiful though (think a mini D7000) and quite comfortable. But sonically I prefer the HP700 over them by quite a large margin.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #27 of 38
okay so i bought the m50's about 6-8 months ago. They are the best headphones i have ever had but i just entered this market.. so i shouldnt be talking much. I do however find myself craving more of a bass factor when i am using my M50's listening to dubstep or deadmau5... sooo i would recc  going and finding something that is more bass heavy if you do in fact enjoy bass like i do. I am looking for an upgrade at the current moment, so i cant advise you any direction.. but i am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro, Ultrasone PRO 750, Ultrasone HFI 580.. 

i found this helpful
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
okay so i bought the m50's about 6-8 months ago. They are the best headphones i have ever had but i just entered this market.. so i shouldnt be talking much. I do however find myself craving more of a bass factor when i am using my M50's listening to dubstep or deadmau5... sooo i would recc  going and finding something that is more bass heavy if you do in fact enjoy bass like i do. I am looking for an upgrade at the current moment, so i cant advise you any direction.. but i am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro, Ultrasone PRO 750, Ultrasone HFI 580.. 

i found this helpful
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

be sure you get the correct beyer if you do go that route, even after amping, my 250ohm dt770's are still more treble focused than bass. though I wouldn't use any unamped, 90-95% from a Ipod isn't a good thing

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
Been looking for the closed back headphones for a while and the safest bet seems to be the ATH M50's, although they're going for around £130 which is slightly over my budget.

Is it realistic that I expect to be able to use the M50s at and around school, or walking into the city for example, aswell as at home? Or am I best off getting some more in ears?

I'm coming from a pair of in ear CX500s if that is anything to judge by also!

If you're looking on eBay, I got mine for a best offer of £113, when the buy it now was £135. 
Probably a more reasonable price.

I use mine around school and at home, but never when walking; I use cx680s or px100s for that.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 38
Now it's a battle between the Ultrasone HFI 580 and M50's, Ultrasones apparently have much more bass but haven't heard as much hype about them compared to the M50's, anyone got them?
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back