ATH-M50's for bassy music, or alternatives?
Feb 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

weirdwilli

New Head-Fier
Been looking for the closed back headphones for a while and the safest bet seems to be the ATH M50's, although they're going for around £130 which is slightly over my budget.
Another thing I've read is the lack of bass (or apparent lack of bass to bassheads)

I wouldn't usually worry, but I listen to a lot of electronic music, and hip hop where it's important to have a full sounding amount of bass.

The M50s seem to have been praised for their ability to be ramped up without any form of amp, and as I'll be using them with my laptop, iPod and phone, this is important to me.

Is it work considering any other headphones however, for example any around £80, or will spending the extra £50 on the M50s really make that much difference?

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 38
You could always try the Sony XB500. Those things are ridiculously bass heavy.
For the price it costs, the sound is decent. Don't expect a neutral sound signature or an accurate one.
Nonetheless it's a fun headphone.
I use them quite often simply because it has a decent sound quality, a short cable and very plushy ear pads.

You could also check out the gears from Ultrasonne or even the AKG k81.

In the end it's down to a matter of taste really. I mean... I actually like listening to electronica with a K701... Go figure...

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 38
The XB series all seem to have huge earcups which I'm not a fan of, thanks for the recomendations though. 

Is it realistic that I expect to be able to use the M50s at and around school, or walking into the city for example, aswell as at home? Or am I best off getting some more in ears?

I'm coming from a pair of in ear CX500s if that is anything to judge by also!

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 38
I'll take a look into a few of their models, thanks!

Would people with M50's recommend them at the UK price point of £135? I see they are often recommended with people stating they are sub $110, but obviously the UK price is a fair bit higher.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 38
I would rather get Denon D1100 at like £100 and they are bassier, however it doesn't output deep bass very strongly but there's plenty of mid/upper bass punch/impact, much more than M50 and the soundstage is so much bigger compared to M50

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 38

Quote:
I would rather get Denon D1100 at like £100 and they are bassier, however it doesn't output deep bass very strongly but there's plenty of mid/upper bass punch/impact, much more than M50 and the soundstage is so much bigger compared to M50

This ^
If you're a basshead.  You can also check ultrasones. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 38
The M50s are great for bass heavy music. Why have that much more exaggerated bass when the M50 already has bass to give? I'd start there, seriously.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 38
If you think the bass is weak on the M50 I really wouldn't consider you a basshead, I'm not and I thought it was weak. To someone who avidly listens to hip-hop/rock, I don't think the M50's will be sufficient in terms of bass. Another pair that looks sweet and has huge bass is the V Moda Crossfade. Those can be found as low as $130 on amazon or you can get a pair on ebay for $60 (yes they are legitimate if you get it from this certain seller).

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
If you think the bass is weak on the M50 I really wouldn't consider you a basshead, I'm not and I thought it was weak. To someone who avidly listens to hip-hop/rock, I don't think the M50's will be sufficient in terms of bass. Another pair that looks sweet and has huge bass is the V Moda Crossfade. Those can be found as low as $130 on amazon or you can get a pair on ebay for $60 (yes they are legitimate if you get it from this certain seller).

mind sharing who that certain seller is? or is that against forum rules?

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 38
lol no it is not against forum rules, I just didn't know the sellers name by heart. I looked it up and the seller is 128headphones. He has a lot of bids in many colors, I think they start at $60 or $70. Seems too good to be true but I know a few users on Head Fi that have bought from them and say they are 100% legit.

Quote:
mind sharing who that certain seller is? or is that against forum rules?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back