ATH M50 VS. Ultrasone HFI 580
Feb 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Radio Flyer

New Head-Fier
Currently I'm using a pair of ATH M30, lolz. (I needed something other than buds to hold me over)

I'm stuck between what I think are the two pair of headphones for me. I'm looking for a good overall headphone that is good for daily use walking to and from work and my usual strolls around campus.

I'm looking for something that is good with a variety of genres of music. A few bands I think that'll tell you what kind of music I listen to are, Grateful Dead, Radiohead, Beck, J Dilla, MF Doom, Wu-Tang, Dave Matthews Band, The Doors, and some Dubstep. I also like to listen to some classical, blues and jazz but that is just on the occasion.

I want a headphone that can handle being powered without an amp for the time begin but I do plan on adding a portable amp in later. Maybe an E7. (I haven't done research on portable amps yet)

Any advice here is great. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 10
Both are rather big and bulky for portable use, IMO. The better sounding headphones are the Ultrasones. The ones that are more suited to portable use (smaller profile headband, better isolation) would be the M50.

I currently own some HFI-580, but decided to get something else for portable use. I picked up the Phiaton MS400 (black). Very nice to look at, very comfortable, they isolate a bit, and the sound is non fatiguing for portable use. They don't sound at all like Ultrasone...rather, they have a bit of a warm sound with smooth highs, and a very clear midrange. They're a nice change of pace, and work great in a portable fashion. You can drive them to very unsafe volume levels with an iPhone...so yes, they're easy to drive. Just something to consider. I'm currently listening to Hail To The Thief with em. :)

The Ultrasones are definitely a lot more fun for electronic and bass heavy music, as they tend to be punchy and energetic. They also feel a lot airier and less constricted than the Phiatons.  The Phiatons are warm and engaging, in contrast, though aside from the mid bass hump, are surprisingly balanced. They remind me a lot of Sennheiser HD 600, but in a closed, portable form.

I had the M50 for a week or so, and found them unimpressive. They were similar to the Ultrasones, but worse in almost every way. The bass was a little stronger, but it clouded the midrange, unlike the Ultrasones. The highs were prominent, but not nearly as smooth as the Ultrasones. The biggest difference was the soundstage though...the Ultrasones almost feel like big open headphones, while the M50 felt very cramped. They're okay headphones, but are definitely overshadowed by the HFI-580. Like I said though, both are fairly bulky for portable use.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Both are rather big and bulky for portable use, IMO. The better sounding headphones are the Ultrasones. The ones that are more suited to portable use (smaller profile headband, better isolation) would be the M50.

I currently own some HFI-580, but decided to get something else for portable use. I picked up the Phiaton MS400 (black). Very nice to look at, very comfortable, they isolate a bit, and the sound is non fatiguing for portable use. They don't sound at all like Ultrasone...rather, they have a bit of a warm sound with smooth highs, and a very clear midrange. They're a nice change of pace, and work great in a portable fashion. You can drive them to very unsafe volume levels with an iPhone...so yes, they're easy to drive. Just something to consider. I'm currently listening to Hail To The Thief with em. :)

The Ultrasones are definitely a lot more fun for electronic and bass heavy music, as they tend to be punchy and energetic. They also feel a lot airier and less constricted than the Phiatons.  The Phiatons are warm and engaging, in contrast, though aside from the mid bass hump, are surprisingly balanced. They remind me a lot of Sennheiser HD 600, but in a closed, portable form.

I had the M50 for a week or so, and found them unimpressive. They were similar to the Ultrasones, but worse in almost every way. The bass was a little stronger, but it clouded the midrange, unlike the Ultrasones. The highs were prominent, but not nearly as smooth as the Ultrasones. The biggest difference was the soundstage though...the Ultrasones almost feel like big open headphones, while the M50 felt very cramped. They're okay headphones, but are definitely overshadowed by the HFI-580. Like I said though, both are fairly bulky for portable use.

how would u compare the ultrasones and phiatons in terms of soundstage, instrument seperation, isolation, and comfort?

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 10
The HFI 580s are better than the M50s in terms of reproducing music that requires deep, impactful bass.  For me, it would depend on the price difference, but if the two were similarly priced, I would definitely pick the 580 over the M50.  No question.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 10
I just did some test listening yesterday on both the M50 and the HFi 580, and decided to go with 580s.  I found the sound on the M50 to be murkier than the 580, the 580 was livelier, clearer, with a bit more separation than the M50.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 10
HFI 580.  If they are close in price it is no question.  If there is a substantial difference in price between the two, however, then it just depends on how much you want to spend.  They are both great, but 580 is superior IMO

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 10
What about comfort? I heard that HFI 580 hurts the top of the head (and my head seems to be pointy too) Anyone know a place where I can get HFI-580 for less than $120 to Canada? Or are HFI-580s all around $150?

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back