ATH M50 URGENT BUYING HELP
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

havishpatel

New Head-Fier
Wow, now I am confused. 

I am a teenager who loves to listen to music. I listen to RnB, Pop, Hip hop, a little rock and a little dubstep. I use a 3rd gen ipod touch.

I really want a set of M50's, apparently they sound so good, but am really confused on a few things.

1) What is this white box and blue box (sorry if I have the colours wrong) dilemma? I hear one has better sound quality, but I think I can only buy the blue box (really confused)?

2) Difference between straight and coiled cable- which one to go for? (Home and portable use- more keen on home and sound quality is most important)- is this true: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514471/ath-m50-burn-in-oddity

3) Does anyone know where I can try these in the UK?

4) Why are these headphones so much cheaper in the US? I hear people getting them for £60- in UK cheapest is approx. £120!!! Anyone know how I can get these genuine and US price in the UK?

5) If I order these cans now, will I be getting an inferior pair to the ones I could have got last year?

6) How do I know if M50's are real or fake? (I am using a £10 JVC IEM's atm and have never used anything else). 

7) Will I need an amp for the M50's considering my source? If so, can anyone recommend a budget one, like the FiiO E5?

Thanks so much for your help, I am really grateful and confused!

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 9
I'll try to anser to the ones I'm pretty sure about (I am waiting my M50 to arrive):

2. Straight cable is, like the word suggests, straight. It means, like any standard cable. The coiled one, instead, is curly (what a bad choice for the word, but I can't think of anything closer :p) like the ones used in standard house telephones.

7. Although an amp will improve sound quality, it will not improve that much. Moreover, someone said that the FiiO E5 won't do any miracle; to hear a SLIGHT improvement you should settle at least for a FiiO E7 or other portable/desktop amps, but again, an amp won't turn M50 from day to night.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I'll try to anser to the ones I'm pretty sure about (I am waiting my M50 to arrive):

2. Straight cable is, like the word suggests, straight. It means, like any standard cable. The coiled one, instead, is curly (what a bad choice for the word, but I can't think of anything closer :p) like the ones used in standard house telephones.

7. Although an amp will improve sound quality, it will not improve that much. Moreover, someone said that the FiiO E5 won't do any miracle; to hear a SLIGHT improvement you should settle at least for a FiiO E7 or other portable/desktop amps, but again, an amp won't turn M50 from day to night.

Ok thanks, so I wont bother with an amp then!

Is there any difference in sound quality between the 2 types of cables?

Also, once you have received your pair, could you post/message me your thoughts and how you burnt them in- how should I burn them in? What I mean is, is there a specific way of burning them in that is best for my genres?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 9
No, no differences in sound between the two cables, just a pratical one. I ordered the coiled cable since I plan to use them mostly in front of PC.

Speaking of burn in, it's really up to you. For what I understood, both pink noise and normal music listening, with volume slightly above comfort level, is fine. Someone told me to do nothing special, just to listen to them and see how they change... I think that the only important thing is just "let them play something" :)

I will listen to them a couple of hour in the evening with my favourite music, and let them play pink noise at home during the day while I'm at work.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
No, no differences in sound between the two cables, just a pratical one. I ordered the coiled cable since I plan to use them mostly in front of PC.

Speaking of burn in, it's really up to you. For what I understood, both pink noise and normal music listening, with volume slightly above comfort level, is fine. Someone told me to do nothing special, just to listen to them and see how they change... I think that the only important thing is just "let them play something" :)

I will listen to them a couple of hour in the evening with my favourite music, and let them play pink noise at home during the day while I'm at work.

Awesome, tell me your thoughts on them!

Are you in the UK? If you are, how much did you pay for these? 

Also do you know about this blue box and white box thing? 

thanks 

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 9
No, I'm in Italy. Initially I payed 160€ shipped, but the shop told me this morning they hadn't in stock anymore. So I bought them for 190€ shipped from Germany.

IIRC the blue box was the old one, and the white the new one. But I still hadn't figured out whether one sounds better or not, and if, why exactly. I hope someone could shed some light.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 9
The blue box, supposedly have a more U shaped EQ settings, so the bass and treble is emphasized, according to some people who have compared the two versions. I have the white box coiled version, and I have to say that the white box version does NOT have small bass or sharp treble by any means. I use cowon j3 with it, and with my bass eq settings, the bass can even be overwhelming. 

Also, just to add to above, the coiled version is basically the entire length of the straight cable "coiled," therefore shorter usually unless stretched. For portability, it will be more useful. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 9
I recently purchased these and really enjoy them.  If you need to have them jacked in more than 3 feet away from where your sitting, I would recommend the straight cable.  I have the coiled myself.  I've been listening to them steadily for about two weeks, and I believe they sound better each time I put them on.  I'm new to the audiophile world, so I don't know if I'm just getting used to them, or if there is really some truth to the burn-in philosophy.  I haven't done anything special to break them in.  Just plugged them in and started listening.  I have the white box version.  I think the bass and treble sound fine.  I agree with most that the mids sound a little distant.  At times I wish the vocals were a little more pronounced, but I am very satisfied with these headphones.  As a disclaimer though, this is what I consider my first pair of quality headphones, so I don't have much to compare to like some of the folks on here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back