ATH-M50 | Straight Cable --> Short?
Aug 18, 2011 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mooshimuushi

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

As the title states! Is there a way to shorten the straight ATH-M50 cable without damaging them and changing sound quality? 

Thanks in advance :3

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 15
It is very simple to do. All you need is a pair of scissors, a soldering iron/gun and some solder and a minijack plug. Neutrik makes good plugs, but you can use a different brand. There should be many illustrated guides to replacing the plug on your cable so I urge you to google them and follow those instructions. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
It is very simple to do. All you need is a pair of scissors, a soldering iron/gun and some solder and a minijack plug. Neutrik makes good plugs, but you can use a different brand. There should be many illustrated guides to replacing the plug on your cable so I urge you to google them and follow those instructions. 

*Twitch* *Twitch* 

Is there a "less" aggressive method on doing it? Cutting, soldering and. . .and. . .*gulp*.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 15
Monkey braid or wrap up the headphone cable and use a velcro zip-tie or a regular zip-tie.

Here's a picture of my A700's wrapped up + zip-tie.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
*Twitch* *Twitch* 

Is there a "less" aggressive method on doing it? Cutting, soldering and. . .and. . .*gulp*.

Put a stick of dynamite in the headphones and the wire should blow right off. Along with... the rest of the headphone...

Anyway, braiding the cable would be the most, uh, non-aggressive way to shorten the wire. But it's as effective as merely buying the M50 coiled cable version in the first place.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Monkey braid or wrap up the headphone cable and use a velcro zip-tie or a regular zip-tie.

Here's a picture of my A700's wrapped up + zip-tie.

I'm doing that right now, but instead of using a velcro zip-tie or a regular zip-tie, I'm using one of those metal static wires. I might buy some of those velcro zip-ties! :D

Quote:

Put a stick of dynamite in the headphones and the wire should blow right off. Along with... the rest of the headphone...

Anyway, braiding the cable would be the most, uh, non-aggressive way to shorten the wire. But it's as effective as merely buying the M50 coiled cable version in the first place.

Sorry if I said anything that would have offended you in any way, but if you wanted me to change the word "aggressive", then you could've asked me to. Also, the reason why I don't have a coiled model of the M50's, is due to me trading with another head-fi member who only had the straight line model (and I'm happy with having a straight line model. It's just that I wanted to know if there was any other methods that would make the M50's cable shorter, that I didn't know).

Placing that aside. Braiding it sounds nice as well! Is there a tutorial, or method on braiding a headphone cable?

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Sorry if I said anything that would have offended you in any way, but if you wanted me to change the word "aggressive", then you could've asked me to. Also, the reason why I don't have a coiled model of the M50's, is due to me trading with another head-fi member who only had the straight line model (and I'm happy with having a straight line model. It's just that I wanted to know if there was any other methods that would make the M50's cable shorter, that I didn't know).  
Placing that aside. Braiding it sounds nice as well! Is there a tutorial, or method on braiding a headphone cable?

Nah it's okay. The aggressive thing was a joke.

Um, I can't really find a proper tutorial, but I hope images help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/since76/3169522253/

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

Nah it's okay. The aggressive thing was a joke.

Um, I can't really find a proper tutorial, but I hope images help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/since76/3169522253/

OH-MY-WOW! That looks sheeping neat! I will give THAT! a try on one of my broken headphones first! So that I won't screw it when I do it on my M50's (if I get enough courage that is). 

Thanks a lot crinacle! 

::EDIT::

Would this do any damage to the headphone cable?

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

OH-MY-WOW! That looks sheeping neat! I will give THAT! a try on one of my broken headphones first! So that I won't screw it when I do it on my M50's (if I get enough courage that is). 

Thanks a lot crinacle! 

::EDIT::

Would this do any damage on the headphone cable?

If it's the M50, I wouldn't worry unless you use the aforementioned dynamite.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:

If it's the M50, I wouldn't worry unless you use the aforementioned dynamite.

Haha. Okay, I'll see what I can do, but there is a high chance of my chickening out and using velcro zip-ties :3

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
There's more methods to braid though, I suggest you scope out on them.

There aren't heaps of braiding tutorials for headphone cables (from what I know). All I see on the internet is braiding for electronic cables and very long wires! But I'll have another check! Thanks for the heads up! xD

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 15
what I did with my 555s (assuming the M50 cable is about the same length), I tripled up the cord (bascially a huge S shape), and then used the same method as braiding hair- left over right, then right over left. This way the wire is only bent in two places, at the headphone end and at the jack end, instead of throughout the whole cord like that 'monkey' braid. does that make sense?

edit: lol ok what this guy did http://www.head-fi.org/t/567119/audio-technica-ath-m50s-review-amateur-explanation-on-cable-shortening. I let the loop all the way to the jack , on both ends, instead of an inch away as the guy suggests- I think this will help with strain relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back