ath-m50 really underwhelming bass?
Jan 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

JDMFanatic

New Head-Fier
I bought these headphones thinking that they would be my go to bass headphones... but my headphones have a really underwhelming low end.. the bass is much weaker than my other headphones... did i get a defective or fake pair or something? Im playing out of a sansa clip. Bought these headphones like 2-3 weels ago from butterflyphoto so i doubt theyre fake or anythinf.... wth is up?!?!

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 34
How many hours do you have on them? 

My m50's were extremely disappointing the first 10-20 hours. About 20-40 hours of burn-in turned them into exactly what others were describing. I'd suggest leaving them plugged into your stereo for a couple days with a pop/rap station playing. The soundstage really opened up and the bass became much more prominent and controlled. I also would like to suggest having v0 or 320kbps mp3 and keeping at that. For me the bass losses a lot of it's quality at lower bitrates. OutKast always sounds good with them, in FLAC. I hope you like them as much as I do! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 34
I only play FLAC or 320kbps through them... I've listened to them for around 40 hours and had them just playing for even longer then that and they're still pretty disappointing. I don't have them EQ'd or anything.... I was expecting a much huger punch in the bass...

Seriously though, these headphones really don't feel like much of a step up from my really cruddy Astro A-40 gaming headset that I have for my xbox... The Turtle Beach HPX impressed me more than the audio technicas

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 34
One of the big reasons I sold my M50 was that the bass was too overwhelming...(yeah and I got another pair later and sold them again) strange...

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 34
Hmm, have you tried a different source? Try using Foobar2000 and if that doesn't satisfy you than try it with the equalizer on and a bump on the lower frequency range. I have to admit I don't like the sound of the M50's from an iPod Touch, strangely they sound underpowered and frail. If the M50's end up not being your cup of tea, I have also heard great things about the XB700. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 34
M50's?  with a disappointing low end?  what manner of sorcery is this?  are they real M50's?  

well hell...if after another week you're still not impressed, send them back and get a pair of D1100's.  if you want bass, you'll get it from those and then some.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 34
Let them burn in for a couple of hours (ideally, overnight for a night or two), and make sure your sansa doesn't have EQ on. The sansa's amp is slightly warm, so I don't see why you'd have disappointing bass from it.

What are you comparing the m50's to? Maybe you're just used to huge, boomy bass. I've had friends who dislike the tight, controlled bass of a good set of phones, as they are used to playing their music through cheap computer speakers with the sub cranked all the way up. I have a hard time believing m50's have too little bass, as the bass was overwhelming to me, even after 300+ hours of burn-in. 

EDIT: ajreynol-don't the d1100's have less bass than m50's? Or am I mistaken?

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 34
I'm using Winamp on my computer with no EQ through an Asus Xonar DX... Maybe you're just right about the boomy bass thing.... I listened to the Turtle Beach HPX and I just thought the bass on those was overpowering and I guess that was what I was expecting. straight up crazy boomy bass... But I guess I'll get used to the tighter controlled bass... I JUST listened to some 595s and the bass on the ATH-m50s now sound much stronger in comparison.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 34
There are two versions of the M50s and they are different. The older M50 is packed in a blue box and has a V shaped response(bass and treble emphasis) while the new version of the M50 which comes in a white box has a more balanced response which has less bass emphasis. What is more is that the new M50 requires burn in to have any bass at all. Either way the white boxed M50 is not for bassheads. Other brands are for that.

Quote:
M50's?  with a disappointing low end?  what manner of sorcery is this?  are they real M50's?  

well hell...if after another week you're still not impressed, send them back and get a pair of D1100's.  if you want bass, you'll get it from those and then some.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 34

Quote:
Let them burn in for a couple of hours (ideally, overnight for a night or two), and make sure your sansa doesn't have EQ on. The sansa's amp is slightly warm, so I don't see why you'd have disappointing bass from it.

What are you comparing the m50's to? Maybe you're just used to huge, boomy bass. I've had friends who dislike the tight, controlled bass of a good set of phones, as they are used to playing their music through cheap computer speakers with the sub cranked all the way up. I have a hard time believing m50's have too little bass, as the bass was overwhelming to me, even after 300+ hours of burn-in. 

EDIT: ajreynol-don't the d1100's have less bass than m50's? Or am I mistaken?

less bass?  oh HELL no.  the 1100's have a 50mm driver or something crazy like that.  they have the most bass I've ever heard in headphones.  Too much bass, really.  It overwhelms everything.  BUT...for certain kinds of music, it might be okay.  For me, I had to drop it down a few notches.  And I'm a guy who used to have a 12" woofer in the trunk.  Bass for days in the D1100s...

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 34

Quote:
There are two versions of the M50s and they are different. The older M50 is packed in a blue box and has a V shaped response(bass and treble emphasis) while the new version of the M50 which comes in a white box has a more balanced response which has less bass emphasis. What is more is that the new M50 requires burn in to have any bass at all. Either way the white boxed M50 is not for bassheads. Other brands are for that.

Quote:

I swear to God my M50's had bass right out of the box. Exceptional bass.  Got them about a month ago new.  Can't remember what color the box was, though.  My hip-hop stuff hits, man.  

idk.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 34
You probably got the blue boxed M50 as many sellers still sell them to get rid of older stock. My M50s were pretty weak on bass.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I swear to God my M50's had bass right out of the box. Exceptional bass.  Got them about a month ago new.  Can't remember what color the box was, though.  My hip-hop stuff hits, man.  

idk.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 34

Quote:

I got mine back in November, white box, and there is plenty of bass.  They was plenty of boom right out of the box, if anything too much, but after a couple weeks of use the bass tightened up quite nicely.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 34
Give it some time to burn in, and you may end up liking it. I may end up picking up one of the new m50's to see if they're any better than they were before.

I'm sure they'll be VERY bassy compared to my k701's, though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back