ath-m50 really underwhelming bass?
Jan 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 34
I don't know, I got the white box and to me the bass smooth down with burn in, even then the bass is good.  I wouldn't say they sound like bass monster, but good smooth bass.  I say if you are not satisfied with the bass try one of these headphones: denon d1100, xb500, or the xb700 for deep bass.  If this doesn't satisfy you then buy the xb700 and The fiio E7.  ON the fiio E7 set it on bass boost EQ3 and you be satisfied.  That is my "go to" combo for my bass craving needs. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 34
Ultrasone HFI 580 can have more bass than the M50 could possibly imagine. More than Beats and only barely beat out by the Sony XB's bass. However, even with that amount of bass kick, they have more clarity compared to the rest of the competition.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 34

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI 580 can have more bass than the M50 could possibly imagine. More than Beats and only barely beat out by the Sony XB's bass. However, even with that amount of bass kick, they have more clarity compared to the rest of the competition.

I agree. HFI 580's bass is clean bass, but beats' bass is dirty bass(and M50 is somewhere in between, though definitely on the cleaner side), though I don't quite like the 580 because of its colored mids... and way too thumping bass. it's more than enough(but then I sold my M50 because of overwhelming bass too)

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 34
Send em back get some xb 700's

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #20 of 34
I have about 50+ hours of burn in on my ath m50's. 

I think when people say these have a lot of bass I think they're describing lots of bass sound rather than bass you can feel, if that makes any sense. There is a lot of bass "sound" like you can hear a kick drum or a bass guitar but not so much a "rumble" or "boom".

I'm not complaining about the sound that comes out of these headphones at all but in my experience the bass on these are "punchy" with a little bit of boom but not not boomy overall at all.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #21 of 34

I have about 50+ hours of burn in on my ath m50's. 

I think when people say these have a lot of bass I think they're describing lots of bass sound rather than bass you can feel, if that makes any sense. There is a lot of bass "sound" like you can hear a kick drum or a bass guitar but not so much a "rumble" or "boom".

I'm not complaining about the sound that comes out of these headphones at all but in my experience the bass on these are "punchy" with a little bit of boom but not not boomy overall at all.

Exactly how I felt about my Ultrasone PRO550's, you can definitely hear it, and it was very tight and defined.. but you can in no way feel it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #22 of 34
My M50's came in the white box and they had a lot of bass out of the box.  After maybe 60hrs the bass lessened very noticeably and cleaned up.  I preferred to have more bass, but I wouldn't say it was underwhelming.  Its just balanced I think. Idk maybe OP's M50's are defective?  They're not basshead cans if that's what you were looking for.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 34
Hello Neato and Slept on,

Greetings!

I agree with you guys. M50s has no coloration on its bass because of its accurate neutral response. it will deliver or give you the natural sound of the bass the way recorded in a studio. and fairly midrange so as crisp and crystal clear highs. That's why award-winning grammy music and sound engineers and producers preferred so much the m50s.

M50s bass or low frequencies could be strong or less heard, it all depends on a studio engineer's emphasis. it leads to versatility. m50s bass become powerful if the bass in a mp3 is well-colored. m50s bass can become less focussed if the bass in a mp3 is less emphasized.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #24 of 34
What headphones did you have before?

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #26 of 34
The different boxes thing is totally unconfirmed. It's a rumor that has been floating around ever since Headfonia published this article. Let me quote the relevant bit:

The difference is very interesting, and me and Hadi thinks that the different production batches account for more difference between the two headphones than the burn-in did. Although the burn-in makes the new headphone smoother and improves the technicalities slightly, the different production batch literally gives us two slightly different versions of the M-50 sound.

They're not talking about a different design or voicing. They're merely suggesting that, like anything mass-produced to certain tolerances, there will be small but sometimes noticeable differences from batch to batch. The main gist of the article, in fact, was to suggest that the effect of burn-in is even more subtle than the production differences between two randomly sampled M50s.

Somehow this got blown out of proportion to suggest that AT changed the design and that there are two different versions. It didn't help that they changed the box. I had one of the "older" ones, and if they changed the packaging it's because it was a pain in the royal arse to get the thing out (and back in if you're returning it!).

I'm saying all this because I don't want the OP to think there's some magical pixie dust-sprinkled version of the M50 out there that will be a bass monster if he isn't satisfied with the bass on his current set. The people at Headfonia make a living off of hearing minute differences between different headphones and amps. The difference they're talking about with their M50s isn't going to be night and day. It's going to be subtle at best. They went on to say that some people they tested could spot the difference, and others could not.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #28 of 34
I also found the bass underwhelming on the M50. I would say they are comparable to the HD25s in bass quantity and impact, maybe with a bit more depth.

Bassier cans I own or have owned for similar or less monies:

D1100, XB500, XB700, HFI-580,

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #29 of 34
The M50s are above average , that is it , not GOD phones, not on the same level as the big guns (T1 , HD600, HD800 , K701, D5000,7000 etc). I am frankly sick of reading about them.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
I also found the bass underwhelming on the M50. I would say they are comparable to the HD25s in bass quantity and impact, maybe with a bit more depth.

Bassier cans I own or have owned for similar or less monies:

D1100, XB500, XB700, HFI-580,

The bass on the M50's is perfect to me. 

Definitely you are a basshead 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back