ATH-M50, or SRH840?
Feb 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iprefermusic

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some good headphones, and have so far found the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Shure SRH840(I am open to other suggestions in this price range). I plan to use them for listening to all sorts of musical styles, as well as for playing bass guitar through. I play bass 5+ hours a day through headphones, so that's pretty important. I believe what I'm looking for is flat, accurate, studio-type sound.

Any advice to be offered?

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 11
M50 is more a 'fun' sound signature, whereas the 840 is more analytical (IMO). Alternatives for the M50 sound would include; Shure SRH750dj, Ultrasone hfi-580, Beyer DT770/80ohm (this may be a little more expensive), just to name a few. I'm not very exposed to analytical headphones like the 840 so I don't really have any other suggestions.

Any way you can try out each? By your last statement I'd say you're looking for the 840s - NOT the M50s.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the reply. I plan to try them out before I buy them, but just wondering if anyone might also know how the SRH840's compare to Ultrasone PROline 550? I tried my friend's today, and liked how they have really good bass response, without it being overwhelming.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 11
From what I've briefly read the Pro 550s have a boomier, not basshead boomy, but boomier sound. Looking at a Pro 550 vs Pro 750 (Ultrasone) [Look here] the 550s are more bass, less highs, whereas the 750s are clearer highs, and less but clearer bass. So going by that that you'll find the 550s will have more bass, but lesser highs than 840s. The 840s will have clearer soundstage, but definitely less bass, especially without EQing.

I think it still comes down to the first headphones being more 'fun' (Pro 550s), whereas the second headphones are more analytical (840s).

Just go find a store with both/all of them, I imagine all have much different focuses in the sound they produce (Albeit the M50s and others recommended with it will be closer to the Pro 550s). You'll probably be able to tell right away which one is 'right' for you.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 11
i have the shure srh840s and they are spectacular. people that say they aren't fun don't know what they are talking about. i find them more fun then the shure srh750djs. i think that is because i like to really have the guitars thrown at me in the face. and the bass is fine on them. i found the 750djs to have to much bass imo. i crave midrange.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
i have the shure srh840s and they are spectacular. people that say they aren't fun don't know what they are talking about. i find them more fun then the shure srh750djs. i think that is because i like to really have the guitars thrown at me in the face. and the bass is fine on them. i found the 750djs to have to much bass imo. i crave midrange.

Lol I don't think it's that we don't know what we're talking about. It comes down to the fact that the 840s ARE more analytical than the bass heavy SRH750s. This is generally associated with being less "fun". Sure, lots of people prefer the analytical sound, and that makes them fun for them, but the word "fun", in this sense, simply refers to less analytical and a focus on an altered sound (not neutral). See for me the Pro 750s > SRH750DJ > SRH840. If we presume the M50s and the SRH750DJ are about the same, then there you go. Basically sound is subjective - as you can see.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 11
The SRH840 definitely has less of a bass focus than the M50. I'd say it's more neutral and accurate. The M50s are a nice headphone but they aren't "flat" by any stretch of the imagination

Disclaimer: I've only auditioned the 840 briefly at an electronics store

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 11
I consider the SRH840 a reference headphone the balance of bass,mid,treble is correct, the imaging is adequate for a closed headphone. The only deficiency in my opinion is that they are too heavy and the stock cable cannot be replaced.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 11
^^  this.

my two cents.
the m50, while i liked it a lot, had two problems i could never hear past.
1.  the treble has a metallic sound to it at all times.  an "etch" if you will.
2.  the vocals, while not terribly recessed, are somewhat obscured for my tastes.  (this is even after the "shure ear pads mod", and "m50 balance" mod that many here have suggested).

the srh840, on the other hand, has no glaring flaws.
it just performs its duties without drawing too much attention to itself.
until you compare the srh840 to a Beyer T1 or the like, you will swear it is a reference headphone.
and that is why i like it so much.

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 11
The k240S doesn't leak much, if you prefer a semi-open studio phone. You can find them under $100 on ebay

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 11
My friend and I couldn't decide between the 840 and M50 and were unable to audition.  We got one of each and we trade them around and compare/share.  We both like the M50 better, but it's pretty close.  There's a bit more bass in the M50, although that bass could stand to be a touch "tighter" at times.  The Shure is a bit louder for the same volume on the knob.

There actually is one glaring flaw in the 840s.  Even with a bass guitar in your hands, you will look like a total dork!

Seriously though, it does hurt the top of some peoples heads.

I just can't believe how great both sound for the price and the M50s are ridiculously cheap for how good they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back