ATH M50 or M50S? Amped or no? If yes, which amp?
Mar 13, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #17 of 22
m50 is an awesome low cost headphone dont worry it does not need amping, just enjoy your music and make sure its coming out of half decent source

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
Great so I need the blue box version, not the white box. 

Anyone know where the heck I can get these from? I do not want to blindly order from amazon and not get what I want...

Don't worry about which box you get, no one has actually compared the two as far as I know it is all very hazy rumor and I personally don't think there's anything to it.  There could be of course, but it's not worth it I have a white box version and they sound the same as my last pair to me. 

Also, don't worry about getting an amp before you get the phones.  They sound good with just an mp3 player, so listen to that for awhile first, and then if you want to, get an amp later, that way you can hear the difference.  I just don't think it's a good idea or necessary to buy everything at once.  Better take your time, make sure the M50 is what you want, then if you want subtle improvements, get an amp for them. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #19 of 22
X2
Spot on.
I was all worried about the box thing.  I bought the white box (because I think the last of the blue boxes was a couple years ago) and it has PLENTY of bass.  If it' not enough you could pick up the E7 later - it has some bass-boost options.  (There are hundreds of other options btw - I don't LOVE my E7 and imho the E5 does very little for the M50.)  I like the M50's much better with an amp, but they do surprisingly well without, so just follow rhythmdevils advice.  If you want some ideas about sticking an amp/player together just browse the very long thread - "post pics of your portable rig here."

Quote:
Don't worry about which box you get, no one has actually compared the two as far as I know it is all very hazy rumor and I personally don't think there's anything to it.  There could be of course, but it's not worth it I have a white box version and they sound the same as my last pair to me. 

Also, don't worry about getting an amp before you get the phones.  They sound good with just an mp3 player, so listen to that for awhile first, and then if you want to, get an amp later, that way you can hear the difference.  I just don't think it's a good idea or necessary to buy everything at once.  Better take your time, make sure the M50 is what you want, then if you want subtle improvements, get an amp for them. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #21 of 22
If you are going to listen from your computer, a DAC is good to have.  The E7 is just one of many options.  I have one and it works well enough.  There is no line out (although this can be had by purchasing an additional dohickey if it's available yet) and that is handy for using it as a stand alone DAC in front of another amp.  Get an iBasso D2 (D4) and I'll trade you!

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #22 of 22
A DAC is a must if you are listening from your computer from my point of view. I using zero DAC and Little Dot I+ to drive my M50 and they sounds great. For portable wise, it sounds great even without an amp althought it good to have one if you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back