ATH-M50 Hum/Ringing?
Feb 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

amandureja

New Head-Fier
So I bought the M50s, and really like it, and just want to clear one thing up.  I am constantly hearing a hum/beeping from the headphones.  This is when there is absolutely no music playing, and volume on zero.  This happens from my iPod, and computer (my only sources).  I originally thought that my ears were ringing (it sounded like that, and sometimes sounds like a computer fan just starting up), but then took them off and the 'ringing' stopped, so I put them back on and confirmed that it was coming from my headphones.  Is this normal, or should I take them back?  Should there be any hum at all?    It never goes away.  They are only 1 week old.  Thanks!

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Return/replace them.

Humming/ringing isn't normal on any set of headphones...
I suggest returning them.
Either way you have to return them because obviously it is bugging you even if it was normal.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 11

Yeah, I guess you're right.  I have noticed something though.  Sometimes, I hear a beep, or two, on either side of the headphones.  It sounds quite like R2D2.  Now I will get them replaced.  However, I was just thinking something.  Would it be better to buy a pair of ATH-A900, ATH-ESW9, or stick with the M50s?  So far, I LOVE the M50s, but if there is something better (same price, maybe like $220 CAD max), then to go for that....

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 11
Well, ATH-A900 may have a little better soundstage and will also handle mids a lot better than the ATH-M50.
If your willing to buy the ATH-A900, then go for it.
Though if you like the bass more for Rock, hip hop, etc and you rarely listen to classic and jazz, then you might as well go with ATH-M50..

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm not sure about the iPod, but if you're using onboard audio it could be picking up interference. My old computer's onboard used to do some weird "clicking" sounds every time the hard drive was used. There was also constant hissing in the background.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 11
+1

Try using a different source. Computer onboard sound chips are usually of subpar quality. The Apple iPod shouldn't be beeping though.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the iPod, but if you're using onboard audio it could be picking up interference. My old computer's onboard used to do some weird "clicking" sounds every time the hard drive was used. There was also constant hissing in the background.

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 11
My source is an iMac.  So the M50 will be better if I want bass, correct?   Also, from my iPod, I have only heard the robotic beeping sounds like once, pretty faint at that.  However, when listening from my iPod, when music is not playing and I listen carefully, I hear something that sounds like what the ringing in your ears sounds like.  However, this is not my ears, because when I take them off, I don't hear it, and when I put them on, I do.  There also seems to be more sound leak than people are saying too....

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Your headphone are a passive device that can only produce sounds when electrically activated by something. Therefore it is most likely to be the source that is the issue. The only exception that I can think of to this is if your headphones cabling has a wiring or shielding problem (including jack plug). The best way to check it out is to use a different source. If the result is the same then it's the cans. If it goes away then it's the source. I'm surprised that nobody has suggested this very simple check.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 11
^read the whole thread.

Also, the beeping is not coming from my iPod, but there are many people on this forum who use iMacs inboard audio and have no problems with their M50s.

However, I am going to go get a replacement done just for peace of mind anyways. :)

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 11
I would be willing to be he is right that it is either a cell phone or some other type of EMI.

What carrier are you on and which phone do you use?  You know when someone has a phone that is acquiring signal (i.e. my blackberry would do this to my comp speakers all the time) or transmitting data you hear that fuzzy noise in nearby speakers?

"CDMA phones have a constant power envelope and don't have this problem. GSM phones use TDMA slotted access and generate 217Hz beat pattern (energy bullets) with rich harmonics, and that causes the audio interference."

Try leaving all electronics off of you and go in a basement or something and see if they still do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back