ATH-M50, HFI-580, CAL (Aurvana Live), DT770. Need Help
Dec 14, 2010 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

noodles256

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi community,

I have been browsing these forums for about 3 weeks now. After purchasing my first pair of "high-quality" headphones known as the V-Moda Crossfade LP, I was greatly disappointed in the sound quality and comfort I paid $200 for which led to my immediate return of the headphones. After searching through the forums for nearly a month, I have narrowed my choices down to the ATH-M50, HFI-580, CAL (Creative Aurvana Live), and the DT770. However, I am open to any suggestions that may be offered from anyone in the community as I would say my audio expertise is lower of that than an ant. 

The qualities I am looking for in a headphone:
- Comfort
- Sound isolation
- Portablility (not so much)
- $100 - 150 range
- Sound good without an amp (preferably)
- Closed (also a preference)
- One-sided cable 

Headphone uses: I plan on using the headphones on daily walks with my dogs, studying in the library, gaming, and music. The music genres I primarily listen to would be indie and electronica. Good examples of daily artists I listen to would be Bon Iver, The Smiths, The Beatles, DJ Tiesto, and Pendulum. I have no equipment at the moment for headphones. I plan on using the headphones i purchase on a laptop, iPod Nano, and on occassions my g/f's iPad. I can buy an amp (around $50) if necessary but being very mobile, I would prefer not to and would like the best sounding ampless headphones. 

Comfort is the most important quality I am looking for in headphones. The Bose QuietComfort 15 are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. However, I noticed Bose isn't exactly revered highly on this site and the price point isn't very appealing either. The QuietComfort 15 would be a good reference headphone in comfort though. I live in a very rural town and the only places within 50 miles that allows for headphone testing would be the Apple Store (I purchased my V-Moda Crossfades from there and immediately returned them ) and Best Buy (which only have Bose and Beats kiosks) so my options on testing headphones are very limited. 

As of now, I am leaning more toward the ATH-M50's because of the communities opinion on them and their price point is very appealing. Let me also add I dislike IEM very much because most of them irritate my ear after extended usage. After reading many posts on here, I hope I developed a good post for the community to work off of. 

Thank you!

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Before I start, welcome! (though I also wasn't here long
wink.gif
)

HFI 580's are a good choice, thumping bass(sub bass, which doesn't mask the mids) and good isolation, though not that comfortable (I have big ears and they hurt after like 2 hours, clamping force is quite strong straight out of the box) and it improves A LOT(all higher Ultrasones do) with an amp which means without one, you aren't getting the most out of it. For electronica, I think it's pretty good. Without an amp, you get something like 'tinny sound' and vocals are a little recessed(just a bit). If this and the M50 is at the same price, I would choose this one. 

M50 is also a good choice, you get plenty of info here so I don't think I have to mention. Compared to HFI 580, I think they are on par. For vocals, I would get the M50 unamped, but the HFI 580 amped. 

CAL... has some mid bass hump so I felt that it veiled some vocals, but not that much. I think it's an OEM version of the famous D1001, but I'm not sure if the two is exactly the same. Comfort is quite good, there is almost no force applied to your head. It's an on-ear, not over-ear. I've never tried the Bose, but it's also on-ear, so I guess you would like the fit too. Isolation wise, I would say average. 
I think they are a little fragile, it may break if you're not extra careful on it. My friend broke it last week and he had to send them back to repair. I think M50 and HFI 580 beat this one, SQ wise (mostly because of the vocals).

I've never heard the DT770, so um... pass
biggrin.gif

So if I were you?

SQ wise, amped, definitely HFI 580 (maybe vs DT770), but since you don't want an amp, I would need more info to decide between the M50 and the DT770.

Comfort wise, I have tried the DT880, and the comfort was awesome. Far better than other 3, and it is the same for DT770. 
CAL comes second, the M50 and the HFI is a tie.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Well, I'm currently using the Hifiman 602 and that's definitely not in your price range, and I don't know a lot about amps.

Sorry, I don't think I can help you there... maybe the next person can
biggrin.gif
(a.k.a. bump)

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Here is the link:

nvm on link I guess lol.

The seller is geartree

Looks reputable, I have been an ebayer for about  2 years.

$104.95 w/ free shipping.

The deal just came today, I have at least 30 heaphones I am watching on eBay and most are around the price range $150 and up including the ATH-M50. That is the main reason I pulled the trigger on it. I also am purchasing the Fiio e5 amp.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 14
i will be receiving them tomorrow. at least that is what the UPS tracking says. I will let you know how it sounds.

Geartree is the seller and they say a ton of audio products and they say they are an authorized Audio Technica seller so who knows.

I'll update this thread when i receive my purchase

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
i will be receiving them tomorrow. at least that is what the UPS tracking says. I will let you know how it sounds.

Geartree is the seller and they say a ton of audio products and they say they are an authorized Audio Technica seller so who knows.

I'll update this thread when i receive my purchase

I hope you enjoy it
wink_face.gif

they are quite good.

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 14
The ATH-m50s seems pretty legit.

Perfect headphones for $100.

The clamp is a little bit tight, but the comfort is on point.

I'm not really an audiophile, but I will say the sound is pretty good and the bass is definately noticeable.

Very happy with my purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back