ATH M50 Expectations?
Apr 16, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #137 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahaha. this guy is just having fun trolling and you guys are feeding him like no other. just stop paying attention to him. he's only still here because you guys are giving him the reaction he wants, which actually provides quite a bit of entertainment for me. don't be easily trolled guys.

haha! you sound like a teacher.. more like a guidance councilor

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #138 of 370
agreed. i tried my best not to judge and take his enthusiasm to the new toy syndrome and maybe to communication problems but I give up....just want to apologize to the OP for derailing his thread..

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #139 of 370
Well I just got my m50's and so far I love them. I will say this they don't sound as good as I thought they were going to sound but I'm breaking them in as i'm typing this. I've had them playing pink noise since 6pm.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #140 of 370
What. The. Heck.

I log into Head-fi and open this thread and all of a sudden I'm at 4chan again. Can we please NOT feed the troll, and try to actually stay on topic now?

I love the M50s. I don't consider any of my cans to be better sounding than them, just different. If I could find an open pair of headphones that had the same signature as the M50s (and the same price would be nice...) I'd buy them as well. Still would keep my M50s though, Closed cans definitely have their use.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #141 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed. i tried my best not to judge and take his enthusiasm to the new toy syndrome and maybe to communication problems but I give up....just want to apologize to the OP for derailing his thread..

I concur.. my sincerest apology sirs.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #142 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so...are these a lot of "Fun"? denon- like fun..?
i currently looking for a not-expensive (150$ top) headphone for my new sansa clip+. can these be used without an amp? looking at the spec' it seems that this can be a little problematic,but i know that spec' don't always indicate efficiency correctly.
anyway,I thought also on the srh840 but the AT-m50 cheaper and sounds like more fun to listen to. I used to D5000 bass so heavy bass is not an issue as long as it is not muddy in general.

I personally don't think they need an amp. They sound fine out of fuze. Not much difference when using my Hornet or Minimax, the E5 did nothing for me, but as others have stated, they feel the m50 needs an amp.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #143 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Superpredator, I would like to hear a quick comparison between W1000X and M50 especially bass wise. And is W1000X an amp wh0re
smily_headphones1.gif

Too early for a meaningful comparison, but first impressions are telling me the M50 is for monitoring and the W1000X for pleasure. The M50 really seems to like being fed well recorded material (HDtracks). The W1000X doesn't seem to require it quite as much, but with it, it shines (and outshines the M50). Even with a bit of a smile curve, the M50 is probably the most neutral AT I've heard, though that may be something of an oxymoron. The M50 lacks most of the romantic tone often found in the W line, and rightly so, considering its intended purpose. Even so, if a recording has a romantic tone, the M50 seems to convey it. Both sound quite holographic with the Open Your Ears tracks, but of course that's one of the Yamamoto's strong suits.

The M50's bass is a great pairing of quality and quantity, and goes deep, seeming to form a nice complete note. However, with only a few hours burn in, it seems to take up a great deal of the available sound space, kind of crowding out other elements at times. The W1000X throws out some really big bass as well, but so far it seems to emphasize the mid-low region (I probably have around 70 hours clocked at present). Because of its completeness, the M50 seemed to be just a little more convincing on Joanna Newsom's The Book of Right-On. The M50 forms a tighter seal, which could account for some of the difference.

I haven't really done enough A/Bing to comment much on mids or highs. Treble might be more lifelike with the W1000X, but both present micro-detail very well, allowing me to not only "see" lip movement, but also to differentiate nose/mouth inhalations that occur simultaneously on Bic Runga's Captured.

The M50 sounds pleasant enough out of a g1 Shuffle. Certainly listenable. Better out of the Yamamoto, though the dullness of a dull recording is more obvious. The W1000X wasn't completely unpleasant out of the Shuffle in terms of the overall sound, but the highs seemed very uncontrolled and fatigued me almost within seconds.

Again, these are just preliminary observations on headphones that have yet to be fully burned in, so take them for what they're worth. If the weather sucks this weekend maybe I'll make some headway on my AT roundup. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Edit: one thing I'm sure of is that the M50 trounces the HD280.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #144 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got my m50's and so far I love them. I will say this they don't sound as good as I thought they were going to sound but I'm breaking them in as i'm typing this. I've had them playing pink noise since 6pm.

The m50 really needs a decent break in period. I was actually pretty disappointed with them right out of the box but they improved a lot after a few days of burning in.

I just played my usual music though no pink noise.

So what can I say..

I love my ath-m50's ^^!

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #146 of 370
we should trigger the garbage collector

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #147 of 370
Keep in mind I have a used pair (from an Amazon partner) and my new pair will be here Monday, so I don't know that the phones haven't been abused. I did some more critical listening last night. The treble on the M50 is very artifical and tinny. Reminds me of the Beyers I use to own. I was comparing to Grados, which make cymbals sound like cymbals. It bothers me a little, but we will see when I get my new pair and break them in. The M50 is defintely picky with source material. Badly compressed music is very evident on these where the Grados and Senns are a little more forgiving.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #148 of 370
Right now I own the Shure 440, and was looking into getting the M50's, but how similar are the sound signatures? If I do purchase the M50, would i be able to tell a decent difference between the two?

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #149 of 370
Hmm, reading this thread (and ignoring the troll posts) makes it sound like the ATH M50 is the Hifiman RE0 of full size headphones... everyone seems to like it, especially for the price. If I didn't want open cans so badly I'd probably get some.

And they look awesome as well!

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #150 of 370
Hi All, I am new here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought the M50's two weeks ago as I needed closed headphones to use in the office. I was lured by the overwhelmingly positive reports and reviews. They even made it to Head Room's Top 10.

I must say I was disappointed by their sound out of the box. So I let them burn in for over 100 hours, but still cannot hear any improvement. My other headphones are SR80s and Etymotics ER6i. Compared to them, I find the sound of M50's to be all over the place. The highs are weak and unexciting, which I guess is OK for monitor headphones. The lower bass around 50Hz is too loud and gives me a headache, but that's easily correctable with an equalizer. The upper bass / lower mids bother me most -- they sound like they are coming through a tunnel. I heard this kind of sound from my older KOSS'es and I am wondering if this is a common feature of all closed headphones. These effects are not subtle and I must use the equalizer heavily to make them sound OK, if not brilliant.

I am driving the M50's from a sound card, which might be part of the problem. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, or maybe I am spoilt by the coloured presentation of Grados. Or maybe I got lemons. Or maybe there's something wrong with my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can someone with more experience please advise. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back