ATH M50 Expectations?
Apr 15, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #91 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question - Is the strain relief on the cable suppose to be attached to the plug? I am asking because mine is not and I am putting together all the reasons why I know this is a used headphone for the seller so I can get a refund.

Yes the strain relief that looks kinda like a spring is meant to be attached to the metal plug.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #92 of 370
Thanks guys for the responses on the strain relief. Let's hope they don't give me any trouble....

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #93 of 370
Wait! Do some of you guys really think the mid on M50 is on par with bass? It's a bit recessed and makes vocal and other mid range sound a bit annoying. But it's the trade off rule I think. In overall, M50 is a very good can.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #94 of 370
Well the mids are pretty darn good compared to the many cans I've had (I'm a basshead). It is definitely a trade off you have to get used to.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #95 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait! Do some of you guys really think the mid on M50 is on par with bass? It's a bit recessed and makes vocal and other mid range sound a bit annoying. But it's the trade off rule I think. In overall, M50 is a very good can.

I agree with you unamped, although it is still much better than the Beyer 770 and 990 I use to own. I definitely wouldn't recommend these for portable use without a decent amp, which kind of hurts portability. Like I said in my updated review on the last page, my amp totally changed these headphones into something else. I almost enjoy these more than my HD580. I need to live with them for a couple of weeks longer to decide that. They are defintely less refined than the 580, but they do so much right that the 580 might go up for sale.

I listen to a wide range of music and have realized I probably will never find a headphone that covers all genres (I am minimalist and only want two phones max, preferably one), but the M50 has been satisfying across all genres so far. It's still early though....

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #96 of 370
Man I always felt that my amps did not add that much to the M50's. As mentioned before, slightly wider sound stage and slightly more controlled bass, but nothing really to go out of my way to amp them. Guess we all hear differently
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #98 of 370
i have the M50 with the coiled cable, and i use them with an ipod video, LOD, and fiio e5.

they sound great, and i use them as my portable set up. when i'm at home i use DT770 premiums 250ohm with a penguin ultra and the M50 are pretty damn close in SQ. the DT770 has a bit of a wider soundstage, and i find them a little more comfortable to wear.

overall, the M50 is terrific i would say

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #99 of 370
My M50 arrived today, and I just fired it up. Good stuff so far. Bass is a little overwhelming out of the box, but hell damn fart holographic for the price.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #100 of 370
Superpredator, I would like to hear a quick comparison between W1000X and M50 especially bass wise. And is W1000X an amp wh0re
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #101 of 370
so...are these a lot of "Fun"? denon- like fun..?
i currently looking for a not-expensive (150$ top) headphone for my new sansa clip+. can these be used without an amp? looking at the spec' it seems that this can be a little problematic,but i know that spec' don't always indicate efficiency correctly.
anyway,I thought also on the srh840 but the AT-m50 cheaper and sounds like more fun to listen to. I used to D5000 bass so heavy bass is not an issue as long as it is not muddy in general.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #103 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoktongxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you really tried the M50 sir or your just guessing?

i havent heard the m50 yet but im sure the latter is better due to bigger drivers and its more portable

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #104 of 370
@2rooi123
I saw your post at headphiles.org your dying to reach your post to 50 just to sell your items..how can we trust you on your words sir? your just a seller for me not a headphone enthusiast. good luck on your item sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back