ATH M50 bass equivalent headphones????
Feb 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

getdennis2005

Head-Fier

Hi, 

Am kinda new here and recently bought an M50 from a fellow headfier here..... very impressed with it..now i have done over 180 hours on it and i have tried all kinds of music on it....

here is what i felt:

the bass is great but probably not as much as been said here...( mines a white box version- tats probably why)

the mids are ok for me though i feel they are not all that great for rock...

trebles are fine for me eventhough ppl say it a bit hyped..

I tried a couple of songs for soundstaging and instrument seperation....found them not to be all that greaT..

What i am looking for is a headphone with a slightly better bass and a better soundstage..... I dont think i find an open headphone with a bass effect as good as the M50...( bass here refers more to the bass impact)..
So i am looking for an equivalent closed or semi-open headphones with a similar effect..

pls share u r views ...

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Personally I have to agree that the M50's are over-hyped. For the price though, they are one hell of a bargain. With that said, if you're willing to pay a bit more then you could look into Ultrasone Pro 750 area. I have briefly heard the M50's (at a store) and my Pro 750s are much much much more precise, dynamic, and bassy. It's a tight bass, like well sorted. Also the Kees Mod helps with the Pro 750s!

Other options would be Beyer DT770 80ohm (bassheads lol), I would say they have an ok soundstage. DT990's felt more balanced to me (auditioned, never owned).

I think other recommendations (that I have no experience with) would be: phiaton ms400, and D2000. Again, no experience with these.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for u r reply.... i donno abt the ultrasones ..hears they r quite expensive ... 
i was wondering if they required amps as i hears the DT 770 requires one..
i am looking to power it from my desktop and from my walkman as well...
regarding bass, i donot want to loose the bass impact , hence a better bass with a less impact wud be of no interest to me..

i heard the denon 2000 are goond ones with base and soundstage but no one has compared it to a M50 bass so far.... hence cant be sure..

Moreover i dont have any place to audition a denon or the beyers or ultrs here being in perth, Australia...
 i was also wondering if there was any mod to open the soundstage of M5o while maintaining the bass???

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdennis2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i was also wondering if there was any mod to open the soundstage of M5o while maintaining the bass???

There's the "Balance mod" but it does lower bass and improve mids. 

I think this one could improve their soundstage. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Pros 750 definitely benefit from an amp. I'm guessing you weren't considering getting an amp?

In which case the M50s are probably what you should stay with - try out those mods.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 6
i was doing a bit of reading and just occured tat denon 2000 is an ideal upgrade from an m50.......
yeah i have a crap amp called boostro..... donno if its gonna help with the amping process ..with my M50 it reduces the bass and increases the treble and mids a bit...

as for the denons .... they r much expensive....

anyone selling a used denon 2000 pls let me know...

i wil try the mod suggested by classakg( thanks)...
let u know how it went soon enough...
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back