ATH-M50 amp
May 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kvershay

New Head-Fier
I am about to order a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, and i also want to purchase an amp with a DAC.  I want to spend about 150-200 dollars.  I also would like it to be for my house so it needs to be able to plug into my laptop. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

May 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 17
ATH-M50 don't need amping.  They benefit marginally at best.

For home listening at $200 I'd look at the FiiO E7/E9 and the Audio-gd NFB-12.  Both are DAC/amp combo boxes.  The E9 and NFB-12 are not portable though.  Are you looking for something that's portable as well as suitable for home listening?

May 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 17
portability is an option but its not necessary. and if i get the fiio E7 and E9 they go together, and is portable and cheaper than the Audio-gd NFB-12.  do you think thats the best way to go?

May 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 17
Between the E7/E9 and the NFB-12, I'd pick the NFB-12 any day of the week.  But that's just a matter of personal preference.  I have a separate portable rig, so I try not to mix the two.

In your situation, if you're looking for portability, I'd look at iBasso product line.  I unfortunately haven't heard their products, but some Head-Fiers have reported good results, and the products are portable, so that may be more up your alley.  It would be worth researching.

May 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 17
The the most noticeable improvement from the headphone jack on your computer and the E7 will come from the DAC. The M50 improves marginally at best with an amp, but a good DAC can improve just about any headphone (well, maybe not the beats or ibuds... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

May 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
ok i read some reviews of the NFB-12 and they were good, but i couldnt find them for sale anywhere. Do you know where i can find them?

I'm not sure about any resellers, but this is the process for ordering direct: http://www.audio-gd.com/PurchaseEN.htm

May 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 17
Ok thanks for the site, but im not to sure if i want to order throught an email message.  Than seems a little sketchy for me.  I really like the idead of getting both the fiio E7 and E9 because i can use it as portability and for my home computer.  I will look at some reviews on youtube and this forum.  If you guys can tell me your oppinion on the fiio setup that would be great. 

May 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Ok thanks for the site, but im not to sure if i want to order throught an email message.  Than seems a little sketchy for me.

Seems that way initially, but many many people on Head-Fi can vouch for Audio-gd, including some of the senior members.  Their products are popular here, given the high performance to price ratio.

May 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 17
I'll x4 on the M50s not needing an amp.

Though, if you must, I'd probably go with the Audio-GD NFB-12 as well for that price range. I haven't heard the FiiO combo OR the Audio-GD for that matter -- this is just based on what I've read on these forums. I actually thought about getting the NFB-12 myself though, but ended up with a Schiit Asgard for Grados/M50s/and in the near future, Senn 600s. If I'm not mistaken, the FiiO is a USB DAC while the NFB-12 has coax / optical inputs, which might be something to think about if your laptop has optical (Apple laptop?).

May 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 17
No i completley understand that an amp isnt needed with my headphones, but i have heard that a DAC is great to have with any pair of headphones so i just thought if i am getting a DAC i might as well as get one with a built in amp.  If anyone has a better way to save money by just getting a DAC please tell me the name of it and i will look into it.  As for the NFB-12 i will think about it because i understand that people buy from them a lot, but i dont like doing that unless i have to and the fiio being portable as well.

May 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 17
Best move I ever made was decoupling my DAC from my amps. Sure, two devices and you need a cable of some description, but the two fullsize DAC/amps I owned were majorly compromised in favour of the DAC. It might be different at the M903 end of the market, but down here in the cheap seats .....

May 28, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 17
If using with a laptop, then are you looking for a USB DAC? In that case, a Pro-ject USB box is good enough. I personally use a D7000 for desktop listening (with the Pro-ject) and the M-50 with my iPhone (portable indoors). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back