ath-esw9 vs ath-m50
Dec 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

marleyfan

New Head-Fier
Hey all, sorry to start yet another this vs that thread but I really want some input before I purchase. I'm looking at the two mentioned headphones. I will mostly be playing out of my zune through an XM4 amp. I play mix of music but mostly in the rock/alternative rock genre with lots of acoustic thrown in. My files are mostly mp3 about 320 along with some wma lossless. I like clean punchy bass but I wouldn't classify myself as a basshead. I can pick up the esw9 for about $50 or so more than the m50's. Any input on these 2 cans would be much appreciated.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 14
hmmz hopefully ull be able to find someone who has heard both, I own the M50 and i dont have any complaints about it. Im just barely now growing fond of trying open cans, but for a closed can the sound quality is excellent. I think the bass is definitely its strong point as it can be very boomy & hit hard if the song calls for it. , but some of the highs are pretty impressive as well as they seem to stick out alot as well in certain songs often leaving a smile on my face. I think the mids are more neutral sounding but the clarity is still there as they are designed for studio use after all. I often use mine with my Bravo Tube amp even at work. Amped these cans seems definately have a fuller bass hit, /slightly punchier bass & better sound which imo is even more welcomed. & the highs seem even sweeter sounding, but that could be in my head,heh. I do not at all think the bass is over powering at all tho unless comparing it to that of an open can then then some may claim its a bit over powering, but i really couldn't imagine not having the strong bass. Every other person that ive shared my phones with had nothing but positive things to say about them, ofcourse most of these people just use regular ipod buds,lol. Oh and if anyone tells u the m50 makes their ears sweat then they are just picky trying to find reason enough not to enjoy them, Very minor issue imo, they wont leave sweat dripping down your neck.

I listen to alot of trance/techno, Rock,alternative, & lil bit of hip-hop So that is what im basing my experience off of.

:my 2cents

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 14
I've had both, sold the ESW9 and currently have the M50s.

The Ear Suit is the better headphone. If you can get it for $150, make sure it isn't fake.

The M50 has better isolation (a lot better) and is more durable/portable. If these things matter to you, then you have to think about it.

Otherwise, go with the ear suit.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 14
How does one make sure they are not fake? It is an ebay purchase I'm looking at. I know that some sennheiser fakes flooded the market (cx-300) but is this a problem with Audio Technica?

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 14
ESW9's are no doubt prettier. And, very colored. Not to mention, fragile (search for threads on breakage). M50's are far more accurate, have more of a slam factor and have better build quality. M50's are a 60 minute man's headphone; ESW9 is a pinkie-up drink.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for everyone's input. After looking at the link provided by Lefty I think I'm not gonna take a chance. Was looking at these:

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Studio/Luxury Headphones on eBay.ca (item 250549080127 end time 22-Dec-09 21:00:10 EST)

But after seeing the plethora of fakes I don't think it's worth the risk. They sure are pretty tho. But I'm going to go with the m50s instead. By the way, I currently have MS1's, I realize they are open and the M50 is closed but am I likely to be disappointed with the sound of the m50 compared with the ms1?

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by marleyfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for everyone's input. After looking at the link provided by Lefty I think I'm not gonna take a chance. Was looking at these:

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Studio/Luxury Headphones on eBay.ca (item 250549080127 end time 22-Dec-09 21:00:10 EST)

But after seeing the plethora of fakes I don't think it's worth the risk. They sure are pretty tho. But I'm going to go with the m50s instead. By the way, I currently have MS1's, I realize they are open and the M50 is closed but am I likely to be disappointed with the sound of the m50 compared with the ms1?

LOL the seller has one sale. They are fakes.
Headroom has an open box for 205.00 now and they are real.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 14
If ESW9 deals are way under MSRP they are fugazzi's. Think.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by marleyfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I currently have MS1's, I realize they are open and the M50 is closed but am I likely to be disappointed with the sound of the m50 compared with the ms1?

I've got SR225s and I am not disappointed by the M50s. They're just different. I really enjoy the spaciousness of the open phones, but when I need closed, I need closed. I think the two cans will complement each other rather than compete.

OH, before you buy think carefully if you want the coiled or straight cable. I went with straight and it pretty much nixes portable use. It can be easily shortened, though...just one thing to think about as it comes in 2 different cable configurations.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks again. I pretty much hate coiled cables. I'd rather have a cable that's that's too long than coiled. Thanks to all for helping me make my decision. Now I just need to find a good deal.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
almost fell off my chair laughing at the one guy who said the m50 was more portable than the esw9 haha...

lol
maybe he does have a modded version of them? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back