ATH-AD900's end of plug snapped off and got stuck in female end of extension cable
May 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bengt77

500+ Head-Fier
Just now, I wanted to watch TV. As it's late and my girlfriend is asleep, I reached for one of my headphones and extension cable. That headphone happened to be my ATH-A900Ti. I tried plugging it into the female end of my Grado headphone extension cable, but it wouldn't go in. I tried again, but again without luck. I looked into it and saw some wires in there that weren't there before. My girlfriend had used my ATH-AD900 the night before, as she often does. Fearing the worst, I got that headphone out of its casing, and voilà. The end of the plug had apparently snapped off and was now stuck inside the female end of my extension cable.

I don't know whether it's just or even deserved, but I'm kind of mad at her right now. I love that headphone. And without the extension cable I can't watch TV with headphones, as it's just a tad too far from the couch without it. What to do now? I could theoretically have the plug replaced at a good audio store, but will it be as good as it was before? Getting the end of the plug out of the extension cable's end might be tricky, but I'll probably get it out. So it's really the headphone I'm worried about.

Am I SOL? What are my options? Does anybody have any experience with this? Is it normal for headphone plugs to just snap off like this? Was there any force in play here? Has my girlfriend really handled my headphone and extension cable without any care whatsoever, as I suspect?

May 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Just now, I wanted to watch TV. As it's late and my girlfriend is asleep, I reached for one of my headphones and extension cable. That headphone happened to be my ATH-A900Ti. I tried plugging it into the female end of my Grado headphone extension cable, but it wouldn't go in. I tried again, but again without luck. I looked into it and saw some wires in there that weren't there before. My girlfriend had used my ATH-AD900 the night before, as she often does. Fearing the worst, I got that headphone out of its casing, and voilà. The end of the plug had apparently snapped off and was now stuck inside the female end of my extension cable.

I don't know whether it's just or even deserved, but I'm kind of mad at her right now. ****, I love that headphone. And without the extension cable I can't watch TV with headphones, as it's just a tad too far from the couch without it. What to do now? I could theoretically have the plug replaced at a good audio store, but will it be as good as it was before? Getting the end of the plug out of the extension cable's end might be tricky, but I'll probably get it out. So it's really the headphone I'm worried about.

Am I SOL? What are my options? Does anybody have any experience with this? Is it normal for headphone plugs to just snap off like this? Was there any force in play here? Has my girlfriend really handled my headphone and extension cable without any care whatsoever, as I suspect?

LOL there not easy to break off i bet she kicked it till it broke off.

just remove the plug and go have it fixed it will sound exactly the same.

May 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 7
You can just solder a new plug onto the headphone cable. They run about $4. It's fairly easy and if you don't know how to solder, you can learn online. There's even some youtube videos out there on how to do this.

Radioshack sells replacement plugs, but I don't suggest those and buying online is best. I like the Canare and Rean plugs. The Canare plugs are larger and easier to solder.

May 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, guys, even though 'LOL' doesn't exactly match how I feel right now. I did just realize that it's not the actual plug that's snapped off, though, but just the 6.3mm adapter. So that's a relief. It turns out that the actual 3.5mm plug is still perfectly fine. That means I'll only have to order a new 6.3mm screw on adapter plug. Any idea where I can get one of those?

Also, how do I know for sure what screw wire the Audio-Technica headphones use? Are those type adapters universal? Is there any difference in quality? Because I sure don't want a new plug to again snap off so easily. (If it snapped off easily at all, of course.) This is the adapter I need (it's from my ATH-A900Ti, in case you're wondering): http://i.imgur.com/ccjIt.jpg.

May 15, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 7
I have two non-screw ones already, but I'd much rather have a original – or similar – replacement adapter. Any idea where to get one?

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 7
I'll update this thread with a closing comment. I found the plug I was looking for. There's this one shop here in town that sells Audio-Technica headphones (albeit only the considerably lower end models), so I went looking there. Guess what? They had the plugs in stock! They were €7,95 a piece. The shop owner apologized for the price, but I said that relative to the price of the headphone I was buying it for, it was an okay price. We had an animated conversation about how AT headphones go unnoticed by the larger crowd and how that's a darn shame. He loves their 'house sound' as well. He wasn't very knowledgeable, though, as he kept asking if I had the 700. But 700 what? The A700, the AD700? But that was okay. In the end I got a new plug, made an Audio-Technica friend and am a happy camper once again.

Yay for local shops that specialize in niche products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back