ATH-AD**** users unite!
Nov 12, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #46 of 122
A bit OT but does anyone know why The Audio Technica site, you download a PDF version of their 2006 catalogue, has only got like 5 or 6 headphones in it. None of which are on bluetin.

edit - No the 'ATH A-team'!!
cool.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #47 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
A bit OT but does anyone know why The Audio Technica site, you download a PDF version of their 2006 catalogue, has only got like 5 or 6 headphones in it. None of which are on bluetin.

edit - No the 'ATH A-team'!!
cool.gif

Are you referring to A-T USA? Most of A-T's headphones aren't commercially available in the U.S.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #48 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunyeap
... My only gripes are that:
They're HUGE....but comfy
And the soundstage seems kinda compressed....not quite as wide as i'd like. Is that a characteristic of this headphone, and can it be fixed with an amp of sorts?
Other thoughts on this headphone are welcome
biggrin.gif

Shaun

Would you believe it being the "characteristic" of the ear pads? If you move the pads a small faction away from your ears, the soundstage becomes wider. I noticed the difference when comparing the AT's to DT880.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #49 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Are you referring to A-T USA? Most of A-T's headphones aren't commercially available in the U.S.

Nope. I downloaded the EU 2006 catalogue. I'd think it were a different AT but they're ATHs and have AT written in the same style.

These are they:
ATH-D40fs
ATH-M40fs
ATH-M20
ATH-M30
ATH-910PRO
ATH-T22
ATH-T44

They look like complete crap, no 'wings' and the dearest one is €100/$117.

Have AT got another branch?

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #51 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunyeap
[AD900]
My only gripes are that:
They're HUGE....but comfy
And the soundstage seems kinda compressed....not quite as wide as i'd like. Is that a characteristic of this headphone, and can it be fixed with an amp of sorts?

This may, in fact, be normal. You're coming from supraaural open cans, in which a natural soundstage ("natural" as in generated by 2 stereo speakers in front of you, for which a lot of material is mixed) is particularly hard to achieve due to the close proximity of the drivers to the ears. (In circumaural cans, the pinna has greater influence, and one can improve things further by allowing some slight reflections inside the earcups and angling the drivers. Only entirely open designs like K1000 or MDR-F1 may do yet better, but these usually suffer from lack of bass due to the reduced impedance when volume-restricting ear coupling is not present and front and back waves canceling each other out.) My "new" HD420SL (classic open supraaural Sennheiser, ~20 years young) makes a good example - frontal imaging exists, but the soundstage is strongly magnified around the center and wraps around to your ears quickly - a 2 dB channel imbalance was quite apparent. As opposed to that, in the HD590 (circumaural and open, like your AD900) you still notice that sounds going from one side to the other (in recordings mixed for stereo speakers) move more quickly around the center but it's far less pronounced, and even sounds placed in the far left or right still sound like they're coming from the far left or right in front of you at some distance, and not like they're sticking to your ears (which I find to be rather irritating). Interestingly people have written that they didn't like how the HD590s compressed the soundstage - that always depends on the source material.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #52 of 122
Quote:

Nope. I downloaded the EU 2006 catalogue. I'd think it were a different AT but they're ATHs and have AT written in the same style.

These are they:
ATH-D40fs
ATH-M40fs
ATH-M20
ATH-M30
ATH-910PRO
ATH-T22
ATH-T44

They look like complete crap, no 'wings' and the dearest one is €100/$117.

Have AT got another branch?

Yep. AT EU and AT USA are almost the same. A-T doesn't sell their high-end stuff out-of-country.

The only catalogue with A-T cans we usually talk about is JP.

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #53 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Yep. AT EU and AT USA are almost the same. A-T doesn't sell their high-end stuff out-of-country.

The only catalogue with A-T cans we usually talk about is JP.

Thanks for quelling my wonder!
wink.gif

Are AT Japanese then? Funny name, I thought they were European?

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #56 of 122
Quote:

No the 'ATH A-team'!!
cool.gif

"I pity da fool who hasn't heard himself some AT cans!"

I didn't notice that the soundstage was compressed, but aside from my AD900, I haven't heard too many high end cans. I doubt amplification will help them all that much because they are so efficient. They sounded a little fuller coming out of the home receiver than my discman, but I guess that is natural. Problem with that efficiency thing, though, is that I can't run them out of my vintage receiver at the moment because they pick up the amplifier hiss too well. Gotta get out to ratshack and get some sorta attenuator...

Shaun: Does the center of the driver housing ever touch the penna of your ears? I have relatively flat ears, but if I place them back too far, I get the drivers touching. Can't imagine what it would be like for someone with ears that stick out. I'm thinking about maybe trying to stuff something in the pad to push the headphone out even further at the back. This might help with the soundstage, too?

I'm really thinking about getting a pair of AKG 271s or BeyerDynamic something or the others for my next can. Haven't thought of the reasoning why outside of 'I want more cans!'. Anyways.. I'm ramblin'. I'm all about being part of the A-team, though. yes.

Nov 13, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #58 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
Shaun: Does the center of the driver housing ever touch the penna of your ears? I have relatively flat ears, but if I place them back too far, I get the drivers touching. Can't imagine what it would be like for someone with ears that stick out. I'm thinking about maybe trying to stuff something in the pad to push the headphone out even further at the back. This might help with the soundstage, too?

Inkmo:
The drivers normally do not touch my ear, but like u, depending on how i place them, they can touch the edge of my penna.
About the stuffing something into the pad part, i was thinking about it last night as well! Sounds like it should work, but since the headphones are still new, i think i'll wait a bit more first
eggosmile.gif

However, do let me know how u go with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #59 of 122
Would stuffing something in the AD900 earcup work? Do you mean the earcup even?

I know on the A900 its a common mod to liine the inside of the earcup with a thin layer of blutak and then put a coating of cotton wool on that, but they're closed.

Whitetak for me if I do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back