ATH-AD**** users unite!
Sep 28, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #16 of 122
Umm, yes, the AD2000 is special to me, but I don't think it's better than the K1000. I've only had the K1000 a few days, and haven't had much listening time.

However, after experimenting with positioning, I've concluded the K1000 sounds at least as good as the AD2000 to me. It is a very different listening experience, and sounds amazing.

The AD2000's weak point is bass. Bass could be stronger and deeper. It's strong point is airy, bright treble without being sibilant and excellent-sounding midrange. Female vocals sound especially good.

But then female vocals also sound very good on the K1000, and nothing can beat it for "airiness."

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #17 of 122
Are the pads on the AD2000 velour? And if they are, can they fit on the A900s? If so, then I might just order a pair.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
The AD2000's weak point is bass. Bass could be stronger and deeper. It's strong point is airy, bright treble without being sibilant and excellent-sounding midrange. Female vocals sound especially good.

Same for the K1000!
Quote:

But then female vocals also sound very good on the K1000, and nothing can beat it for "airiness."

No wait, you were about to say that!

From what I've read, it seems like the AD2000's are as close to the K1000's as any headphone out there, and this is kind of intriguing because I'm in the camp that thinks of the K1000 listening ecperience as "unique". It will be interesting to read more about your impressions once you've had a chance to get used to the K1000's and to do some direct comparisons. It's kind of hard to control for the amp, but no comparions are perfect.

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Umm, yes, the AD2000 is special to me, but I don't think it's better than the K1000. I've only had the K1000 a few days, and haven't had much listening time.

However, after experimenting with positioning, I've concluded the K1000 sounds at least as good as the AD2000 to me. It is a very different listening experience, and sounds amazing.

no,no,no
the bass of AD2000 is one of its superiority. Try more amps. The japanese expert vote AD2000's bass the number one...
It is not as strong and deep as A900 though, The detail of the bass provided I have never experienced before. Its also natural, warm and quick....hard to describe.
600smile.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #20 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
no,no,no
the bass of AD2000 is one of its superiority. Try more amps. The japanese expert vote AD2000's bass the number one...
It is not as strong and deep as A900 though, The detail of the bass provided I have never experienced before. Its also natural, warm and quick....hard to describe.
600smile.gif

blink.gif

It sounds that the bass of AD2k and AD1k are in the different world.
basshead.gif

I remember ad1k has a weak bass...due to the sucked amp? (HA20 and headbox)

sick... earmax amplifier priced 35K NTD in taiwan....
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 122
humanflyz, the AD2000 pads are a velour-like material. I'm not sure what they are, but they feel very smooth and soft.

Yes, the AD2000 does sound similar to the K1000. I'll try to write up a comparison that's worth reading, but please don't expect too much.

I do like the AD2000's bass. It's very tight and accurate, and does go fairly deep. I'm not a basshead, and don't like the strong boomier bass of the A700.

Sometimes, though, I prefer the RS-1's stronger bass. The closed Senn HD25-1's bass is also stronger than the AD2000's and packs more punch for some songs.

Sep 29, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #22 of 122
I agree, bass quality and quantity from AD2000 is excellent and it would be hard to find something better in this field.
Only L3000's bass I like more. K1000 without correlating equalization can't touch this. Bass quantity is finally the weak point from K1000, by no means from AD2000. Another head-fier, who have heard the AD1000's, described this to me in the same way as oScARSr has done this in this thread before. It must be an absolute different character to AD2000. And yes, I prefer AD2000 over RS-1 clearly, not in general for total sound quality, at least Grado headphones (heard RS-1 and HP1000 at several quality amps) are'nt my cup of tea in some fields. Hope that the AKG 701 will be arrived in the next weeks. If it does'nt need my expectations, AD2000 will be orderd again for my second headphone setup.

Oct 17, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #23 of 122
I find the differences between AD900 to AD1000 to be minimal. The main difference I feel moving up from AD900 to AD2000, is that everything becomes more balanced.

Not long ago, after a listen to AD2000 (with intention to purchase,) I actually came away quite contented with my AD900. I didn't feel the improvment warranted the significant jump in price.

That is not to say I've ended my quest for the next set of ear muffs!
biggrin.gif
In fact, I've just got some favourable quotes for the Stax SR-007 w/ SRM-717...

Oct 17, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 122
Oh, I always thought that as the prices of headphones goes up, the difference in sound quality will only improve that much more whereas the price would increase folds!

Is that called the law of diminishing returns??

Oct 18, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #26 of 122
The Law of Diminishing Returns can be applied to many other things besides audio gear.

Applied to headphones, it means as the price goes up, sound quality improvements are marginally smaller and smaller and individual preferences play a larger and larger role. Note that there may be exceptions to this rule.

The increasing prices of headphones in a model range can be due to other factors besides sound reproduction. The AD2000 is made of different materials than the AD1000. Differences include the metal headbands, the mostly metal construction and double-sided cable instead of single-sided.

These differences probably don't improve the AD2000's sound quality vs. the AD1000; they just make it look and feel better. If the AD2000 drivers were mounted inside the AD1000 body it would probably sound the same as a standard AD2000.

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #28 of 122
Woohooo!! Just got myself a pair of ATH-AD900's today!
Was choosing with between Alessandro MS-2's and the AD900; in the end tho, i went with the AD900 instead.
Everything felt more neutral, and DEFINITELY more comfortable. I'll have to get used to the size of these cans tho...they're HUGE.
eggosmile.gif

In the mean time....i'll have to starve for awhile, after spending so much on a pair of headphones =\...ooh well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back