At what point are headphones no longer worth their price tag?
May 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 146
Quote:
No, I mean upgrade-titis. The difference: you have a negative approach and I don't think that many head-fiers feel that way. They're enjoying the ride. Not everybody, but most of them do.

I absolutely love this hobby, trying new things. Paired with the fact that it's very easy to sell (and buy) on our FS section, it makes it a very positive experience searching for the sounds and cans I want to keep. There's no negative feelings about that.

x2.  Same here.

May 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #33 of 146

Quote:

No, I mean upgrade-titis. The difference: you have a negative approach and I don't think that many head-fiers feel that way. They're enjoying the ride. Not everybody, but most of them do.

I absolutely love this hobby, trying new things. Paired with the fact that it's very easy to sell (and buy) on our FS section, it makes it a very positive experience searching for the sounds and cans I want to keep. There's no negative feelings about that.

I don't have a negative approach, Iv'e been down the audiophile road a long long time.  I've been an audiophile for nearly 30 years. I've probably dropped more money on a single power amp than the cost of your entire and rather extensive collection in your profile in the pursuit of the hobby. So go run your psychology and logic somewhere else and leave me be.

May 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #34 of 146
I happen to think that with an odd exception the current high end headphones are totally worth their price tag. Find the sound you honestly want, and buy the headphones you want. Sorry, its going to set you back about $1000 for the cans. There are a few gems in the $300 range, but their big brothers look down and laugh. 

The argument for finding the upgrade is an interesting. 
Lots of people spend lots of time & money going back and forth between fairly low end headphones that all sound very different in their own bad way. Considering what many people spend on gear that looses value as they own it, and shipping this is a SOLID loosing game. Dont get me wrong, its fun and all, but if your just interested in nice sound just spend the $1000 on a pair of headphones instead of giving it to the postman $15 every time you sell a pair of cheap headphones.

May 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #35 of 146

Quote:
I don't have a negative approach, Iv'e been down the audiophile road a long long time.  I've been an audiophile for nearly 30 years. I've probably dropped more money on a single power amp than the cost of your entire and rather extensive collection in your profile in the pursuit of the hobby. So go run your psychology and logic somewhere else and leave me be.

LOL.

So what is it exactly that you want to say with the fact that you've dropped more money then me? What's the argument in that.

majority of posters never seem to like any of the cans they have and are always buying something new 

^ I reacted on that. Your approach there is definitely negative, in that way that you seem to think that the majority of poster don't like any of the cans they have. I simply disagree to that statement and I think you're very wrong there. There's not much psychology in that.

After that, you felt the need to react with that I would mean Audiophile Nervosa. Again, no, I don't mean that.

So please, take you own logic and negative reactions somewhere else or don't be irritated if someone disagrees with you.
And by the way, if you respond like this, writing about a majority of posters at a forum, you can't expect people to leave you be; people will leave you be when you don't participate at forums.

It was you who made this personal mister, not me.

May 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #36 of 146
As much as I would love to spend that kind of money on high end gear, and it is within my capability to do so (not every day mind you), that $1k pricetag is still a difficult pill to swallow.

I do enjoy the fun in my little mid-fi tier though. More toys to try, more options to trade, less paranoia about damaging anything. If I burned out the drivers on an HD800 I'd be devastated. I blew the drivers on my Phiaton the other week, and yeah I was upset about it, but then I figured "hey, they'd make good foster phones for an otho transplant".

May 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #37 of 146

Quote:
LOL.

So what is it exactly that you want to say with the fact that you've dropped more money then me? What's the argument in that.

majority of posters never seem to like any of the cans they have and are always buying something new 

^ I reacted on that. Your approach there is definitely negative, in that way that you seem to think that the majority of poster don't like any of the cans they have. I simply disagree to that statement and I think you're very wrong there. There's not much psychology in that.

After that, you felt the need to react with that I would mean Audiophile Nervosa. Again, no, I don't mean that.

So please, take you own logic and negative reactions somewhere else or don't be irritated if someone disagrees with you.
And by the way, if you respond like this, writing about a majority of posters at a forum, you can't expect people to leave you be; people will leave you be when you don't participate at forums.

It was you who made this personal mister, not me.

Whatever dude go play your drums...

May 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 146

Quote:
Whatever dude go play your drums...

popcorn.gif

Sorry guys for this discussion, please carry on on topic (hopefully without a negative approach and not making it unnecessary personal
wink_face.gif
)

May 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 146
To me, any headphone over 300 bucks is not really worth it. I can't really say much since I've never heard any headset worth over 250 bucks.

May 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #40 of 146
Headphones are no longer worth the money if you stop enjoying music and are thousands of dollars in debt for relatively minute improvements in sound. In the end it's all about enhancing the experience of listening to music, when that's gone, what's the point?

May 22, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #41 of 146
Quote:Originally Posted by Trance88 

"To me, any headphone over 300 bucks is not really worth it. I can't really say much since I've never heard any headset worth over 250 bucks."

That's not really a qualified statement then is it?

May 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #42 of 146
Quote:

People seem to be having a great time, but you dont really know what their real emotions are like, their outer life situation with relationships/money etc. How all the spent time and money affects the rest of their life. If you wanna go budget-fi and not spend so much you have to spend alot of time. The issue of  upgraditis can take an obsessinal character, and that is far from fun but rather on the boarder to mental disease.

I love this adventure into sound and love listening to both headhpnes and speakers. Its just that people that dont "get out as much" are usually the ones that get overly stuck with headphones. Headphones can be a way of more effectively shutting of the whatever is confronting you in the outer world, a sort of escapism. Thats a theory that I have confirmed through observation of friends and _myself_. its not a negative theory imo, but rather realistic.

Back to topic. All this depends on what your financial situation is like. For some people 300 is alot of money, for others it isn't. But after 400 you shouldn't expect more than 20-30 % when you buy 1000 $ headphones imo. Sure I havnt tried them all so I might have to revise that theory in the future(upgratitis

May 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #43 of 146
Quote:
People seem to be having a great time, but you dont really know what their real emotions are like, their outer life situation with relationships/money etc. How all the spent time and money affects the rest of their life. If you wanna go budget-fi and not spend so much you have to spend alot of time. The issue of  upgraditis can take an obsessinal character, and that is far from fun but rather on the boarder to mental disease.

I love this adventure into sound and love listening to both headhpnes and speakers. Its just that people that dont "get out as much" are usually the ones that get overly stuck with headphones. Headphones can be a way of more effectively shutting of the whatever is confronting you in the outer world, a sort of escapism. Thats a theory that I have confirmed through observation of friends and _myself_. its not a negative theory imo, but rather realistic.

Back to topic. All this depends on what your financial situation is like. For some people 300 is alot of money, for others it isn't. But after 400 you should expect more than 20-30 % when you but 1000 $ headphones imo. Sure I havnt tried them all so I might have to revise that theory in the future(upgratitis

Well said. I think it is probably far more interesting (and useful?) to discuss the inflection points in the cost vs. SQ graph. Alternately, perhaps there are no sweet spots in a product line because the vendor has no characteristic house sound? 

May 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #44 of 146
Headphones stop being worth it when you stop listening to the music, and start listening to the gear to try and figure out what you "need" to buy next.  Same for speakers.

May 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #45 of 146

Quote:
...Before the $1,000+ überheadphones came out a couple years ago, headphones were a better value. I think headphone manufacturers made a mistake by pricing their top headphones into speaker territory. They should cut their prices by 50% or so to keep a value advantage. We'll see what happens.

i remember when the prevailing wisdom on Head-Fi postulated that one needed to spend $10 on speakers for every $1 on headphones to get equivalent sound quality. that ratio has shrunk considerably.

when the HD800 came out, most scoffed at the price tag. but they sold, due in no small part to the ever-turning gears of the hype machine here. no doubt other audio companies watched with keen interest. soon after, they were practically tripping over each other in a race to put out their own $1K flagships.

i can't help but wonder if the HD800 actually paved the way to better technology, craftsmanship and materials selection, or if they simply battered open the door to a new price bracket that adhered to the ole capitalist philosophy of charging what the market will bear. after all, why is there such a big black hole in the $500-800 price range?

the flagships of yore also came with hefty price tags, but it wasn't too difficult to at least appreciate -- even from afar -- the fine attention to detail, and artistic or engineering feats of the R10, HP-1000, K1000, L3000, Omega, etc. i just don't see that kind of manufacturing pride in the current production headphones.

i was initially pretty intrigued by all these four figure offerings, but i have to admit that i have been looking more and more at putting that money towards some speakers. for the same price, there's good value to be found in the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back