AT M50 vs beats by dre studio which is better?
May 19, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #61 of 75

Quote:
Are the m50s better than sony mdr xb700's in regaurding bass?

I never tried m50 myself.  But I was told that m50 has better bass extension, while xb700 has more bass quantity.

May 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #62 of 75

I know these measurements aren't anyways right, but I hope Tyll's not that off hahaha... The XB700's have insane bass quantity, it was pretty obvious at the store I heard it at, just as some people want it....  I can't say anything about extension though. 

May 28, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #65 of 75
[size=10.5pt]It seems majority of people in the thread do not like Beats - because of its high price I think. I own a M50 (for about half year now) and tried Beats (at Best Buy) for some time, and this is what I think - my personal opinion. Many people in the thread just say Beats, and I found there are quite a difference in sound between Beats Studio and Beats Solo. I tried Solo and Studio side by side for may times, and I found Studio has much better sound than Solo in my ears. I also found other people like Studio better than Solo in terms of the sound quality from many other forums.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]M50: First, I like M50 and enjoy it quite a bit every day.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Pros: Good overall sound - no question on this regard. Has descend bass and highs are also good. Good price (paid around $90 like many others in the thread). You can find great things about M50 from lots of different threads/forums.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Cons: It is tolerable, but not super comfortable. I can wear it for hours at a time, but it heart my head and ears some.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Beats Studio: Like many people said in the thread, I found Solo has muddy bass and it is over powered, and I do not like the sound of it from Solo. So I will exclude Solo from the discussion.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Pros: Has very strong bass – very punch not muddy. You might say it is too much bass, but if you like bass, then this might the phones for you. If you like hip-pop, rock, etc., you will enjoy the Studio headphone I think. I haven’t listen to other types of the music such as classics with these phones, so I cannot comment on other music types. I also found it has great highs and mids. I was able to hear all the vocals and instruments very clearly (even better than M50 in my taste), and pretty well balanced with the bass. It takes 2 AAA batteries and the sound is amplified, so you may be able to use any MP3 players and may be able to hear great sound with Beats Studio. [/size][size=10.5pt]It comes with Control Talk. Control Talk helps if you are using iPhone or other mobile phone so that you don’t miss a call while you are listening to the music. Active noise canceling is a great addition if you travel a lot (like me) or you are working in a noisy environment. Super comfortable - compare to M50.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Cons: Very expensive. I agree it is overpriced. It takes 2 AAA batteries - extra money and inconvenient.[/size]

If money is not an issue, I would definitely buy Beats Studio. And I will keep my M50. Hope this helps someone. I would recommend you to go to the stores (Best Buy for Beats and other stores for M50 - not sure what stores carry M50 as I bought it from Amazon and purely based on the reviews and price) and listen to them in person before you make the decision (or say which one you like better).

May 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #66 of 75
If all you want is a lot bass, the M50 can not touch the Beats in terms of quantity. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm tired of people calling the M50's bass monsters.

May 28, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #67 of 75
i agree slapshot.
They have good bass.  its full, you're never in doubt that its there.  But they aren't monsters.  if i want bass im putting on my 770s not the m50s.   And i just haven't heard enough cans like the sony xb700 or w/e to know if the 770s are really even that bassy

May 28, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #68 of 75
Let me illustrate a bit:

Neutral |--------M50-------------------DT770pro--HD212pro-K518dj----------D1100---XB700---XB500-| Bassiest

Headphones have focus at different range in the bass though, some like K518DJ and D1100 may have a big emphasis at 90 ~ 150Hz for example but rolls off quickly after 80Hz making them very punchy and others may have a lot of "boom"/deep bass like DT770pro and XB700 but has a lot less mid/upper bass and then there's for example XB500 which just has enormous amount of both deep and mid/upper bass. For example DT770pro has perhaps when properly amplified even a bit stronger deep bass response than HD212pro or AKG K518dj but looses significantly in mid/upper bass why it's put where it's put in the illustration. It's always a bit hard to compare the bass quantity of a deep bass focused headphone vs a punchy mid/upper bass phone but what counts when talking about bass quantity is the total "elevated" bass response in the 0 - 250Hz or so range not if it has +10dB peak around 50 or 150Hz. Then it's down to the person to tell what kind of bass he's looking for.

Strong deep bass focused headphones: XB700, XB1000, DT770 Pro/80, Darth Beyers...

Strong punchy bass focused headphones: AKG K518DJ, D1100, HFI-580, Thunderpants...

Balanced strong deep/upper bass headphones: XB500, HD212pro, D2000/D5000/D7000, LCD2...

May 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #70 of 75

Quote:
My only disappointment with M50s is the bass doesn't pack as much impact as I would have liked (even with some significant EQing).

My experience as well. Could boost the bass a lot, yet very little impact.

May 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #71 of 75
Yup, I agree with the m50 lacking that punch.  Hence why I'm so glad I bought the Zo.  There are certain songs that need that feeling and it is great for that and when you are done, you can go back to normal =P

May 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #72 of 75
I have no idea about the quality of the AT M50 (I do love Audio Technica, though), but I can tell you that just about anything would be better then either Beats or Skullcandy. Anything.

Instead of berating Beats with such high zest, you ought to discard such blind fervor and reevaluate your staunch claims. Beats are bad b/c of such a dismal price:performance ratio; however, they certainly aren't so horrid that anything is better than them. I doubt you've even demoed the Beats extensively via your own rig. 
OT: ATH M50 is better (my friend owns the ATH M50 and let me use them for a week, and I used to own a pair of Beats Studio just to determine whether they were as great as the fanboys say or as abysmal as the haters say [though I never truly believed either side, since I felt both sides were too zealous about their love/hatred for Beats]). If you're willing to shell out an extra ~$150 for the Beats just for appearance, I suggest you allocate that money towards a better headphone like the D2000.

May 28, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #73 of 75

Quote:
My experience as well. Could boost the bass a lot, yet very little impact.

Quote:
Yup, I agree with the m50 lacking that punch.  Hence why I'm so glad I bought the Zo.  There are certain songs that need that feeling and it is great for that and when you are done, you can go back to normal =P

Although, with a mod or two plus some DSP tweaks in Foobar the M50's bass punch gets much more satisfying.

May 28, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #74 of 75
That I agree with.  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Plume /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beats are bad b/c of such a dismal price:performance ratio

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #75 of 75
there's no need to think about it, my friend have the beats and i have the m50 i can tell u one thing if ur looking for some deep accurate bass and if u listen to a lot of hiphop/rap the m5s are the way to go these where my first headphones above 50$ and i'm impressed they get u in the club at the moment u put them on the bass is clean and accurate not muddy they isolate and people in front of u don't know what music are u listening too the coiled cable is nice too, it's well built from very good material and they are worth it with the money your paying this is the best can u can get out there when it comes to solid bass it goes h2h with the beats studio and it beat the beats by dr.dree studio in a couple of things and it's only half the price so go out there and grab that mini club headphones and u won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back