AT M50 vs beats by dre studio which is better?
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that's my favorite image ever.

+ 1

That frequency graph had me shaking my head in laughter/disbelief.

The Skullcrusher Max Bass frequency looked more like the frequency a set on my mid bass woofers in my car.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+ 1

That frequency graph had me shaking my head in laughter/disbelief.

The Skullcrusher Max Bass frequency looked more like the frequency a set on my mid bass woofers in my car.

I always likened it to the Rocky Mountains.

And congrats, wildseal. I'm sure you'll enjoy them more than what you have now. If not, never post here again for your own safety
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 75
M50s should a be a little more balanced than the Dre Beats. They're bassy, but its not bass in your face, like the SkullCandy. Somehow the M50s manage to be both bassy but have strong treble. Not rolled off, and there is plenty of detail too. I'm sure the Dre Beats are decent enough, but for under $100 the M50s are a steal. The straight cable is really long though. The M50s midrange could be a little more forward I feel, but really being studio cans, they are meant to be non-fatiguing for long listening sessions. They isolate noise OK, not quite as good as a quality set of IEMs, but good enough.

May 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 75
I was able to test the beats by dr dre and m50's side by side. I took my set of m50's and plugged them into the same source the beats were playing through. The beats by dre were considerably louder and bass was definitely punchy. However the bass from my at m50s did not sound weak at all in comparison. As far as sound quality goes, in my opinion The the beats by dre had overpowering bass and I thought that the music lost some character because the bass was so overpowering. Maybe some people like bass like that but I am perfectly content with m50 bass and even the bass on my ad700's. If you listen for long periods I would think that beats would be too fatiguing and I think they are too bass oriented for my taste. $300 is definitely too much I got my m50's for 109 plus tax from guitar center... Definitely worth it and also I haven't burned in my m50's yet.

May 2, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 75
The M50's bass scales well with the music. Listen to some acoustic and the bass takes a back seat but still provides some weight. Listen to some Black Eyed Peas and the slam begins. This is what headphones should do, especially studio phones.

May 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #25 of 75
Saw some of those dre phones in hmv for demo and was listening to the M50 when I did, so my comparison was direct from one to the other.

All I will say is the dre phones made my m50s sound even better in comparison.

No real sub bass but too much mid bass was my assessment. Above the mid bass frequency they sounded OK actually, but a mid bass hump, for me, ruins the whole show as it overwhelms everything else.

What I love about the M50 is they are bassy but it is real low end bass that is emphasises and not the lower regions of the mid range. It leads to a much cleaner sound whereas the dres are a bit muddy down there.

As everyone else has said +1 for the M50.

May 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #26 of 75
Listen to the midrange clarity as a comparison. Something like the vocals on an older REM song. Vocals are nice and clear with nice details with the M50. Sounds muffled like he's singing through a block of foam with the Beats.

May 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow- that bass roll off is heinous on the beats.

Look at the frequency where the bass rolls off though. Looks like a subsonic filter of sorts. It rolls off at 30hz. nothing wrong with that. Its flatter in the bass region than the m50s too. I like the beats more than the m50

May 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He took $90. I suggest you offer that.

got mine for 90 but i heard he accepts 87

May 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 75
the beats aren't that bad a headphone - just ridiculously over priced. And the M50 are a ridiculously value for its price, choose the one that sounds better to you, graphs and charts arent the end all

May 18, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #30 of 75
i just sold my m50's and got the beats for 190. the m50s sound better but i like the way the beats look. they're not that bad imo. idk if i want to get the m50s again and sell the beats. is there any other headphones that has a good balance of looks/sq in the pricew range of 100-180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back