ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #736 of 888
The problem is, both my systems have only one PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16, with two legacy 32-bit PCI slots. Had I an ST rather than the STX, I could run up to three Sparkos® SS3602's, Burson® V5i's, or competitive, as the closest slot to case bottom is PCI for both rigs; there's not quite enough room for the full-size Burson V's.

Couldn't you run the Burson V5i's in the STX II as well? Or did I miss something? I think the STX II will even let you put the shield back on with V5i's. At least a guy that posted a video of doing that upgrade to those amps said so.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #737 of 888
I've an original STX; the STX II, being also PCIe x1, would have the same space limitations, viz., no deeper dual amplifiers than the V5i's. If I wanted to run SS3602's, I'd need an original ST (which is 32-bit PCI) first, to get it out from behind the video card.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #739 of 888
Are you using a mic separately from a gaming headphone/headphone? I also cant see any mic boost feature, just in the setting with a check or uncheck. no +10 to +30db

Yes I'm using a XLR AT 2020 mic plugged into a Focusrite Solo USB interface that has RCA outs. I have the RCA out cable that is RCA male to 1/4 male cable. I plug it into the mic/line in on the STX II.

I'm looking at Discord right now. When you click the gear icon at the bottom left near your name, a little mic symbol, and a little headphone symbol, it takes you into settings. You select "Voice & Video" from the list and under Voice settings you have "Input Device" and under that it says "Input Volume". That input volume should allow you to turn up the mic. Is that feature not working for you? That's what I was asking.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #740 of 888
Can the STX II decode DSD files? How do you play DSD files on your computer? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out how to play dff files on foobar2000. I also got TASCAM to re-code .DSF, etc files to the .DFF format. They sound absolutely amazing! Like being in the studio when it was recorded! I need a portable HI Res player that can offer sound this good!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #742 of 888
Would there be any benefit to getting the Massdrop O2 amp for use with the STX II? So basically I would run standard RCA cables out of the STX II into the O2 amp and plug my HD6xx headphones into the O2 amp. What would be the benefit of buying that if any? Here is the amp: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

You going from the line out or the headphone rca output?

I prefer an external knob to adjust volume as opposed to adjusting the volume in the os. So I'd set the os volume to 100 and leave it, then adjust with the knob.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #743 of 888
You going from the line out or the headphone rca output?

I prefer an external knob to adjust volume as opposed to adjusting the volume in the os. So I'd set the os volume to 100 and leave it, then adjust with the knob.

I would be going from the red/white RCA outputs on the STX II to the input on the back of the O2. What do you think? Will I see any improvement in audio quality or is there any benefit of buying that amp? I could just use it with my laptop which uses onboard audio, but I'd like to use it on my desktop too.

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #744 of 888
I would be going from the red/white RCA outputs on the STX II to the input on the back of the O2. What do you think? Will I see any improvement in audio quality or is there any benefit of buying that amp? I could just use it with my laptop which uses onboard audio, but I'd like to use it on my desktop too.
So you would connect the line-output (RCA) jacks on the STX II to the line-input on a headphone amplifier.
I'm not sure what the output impedance is on the STX II's headphone jack (original STX, 10-Ohms).
but low Ohm IEMs (8-Ohm to 40-Ohm) might benefit from the O2's (Objective 2) less then <1-Ohm output impedance.
Also the STX II line-output benefits from using the one (dual channel DIP-8) buffer op-amp, as well as the two I/V (DIP-8) op-amps.
While the headphone jack only uses the two I/V op-amps.

Headphones in the 80-Ohm to 300-Ohm range, I do not think, would benefit using the O2 amp, over the STX II headphone amp.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #745 of 888
So you would connect the line-output (RCA) jacks on the STX II to the line-input on a headphone amplifier.
I'm not sure what the output impedance is on the STX II's headphone jack (original STX, 10-Ohms).
but low Ohm IEMs (8-Ohm to 40-Ohm) might benefit from the O2's (Objective 2) less then <1-Ohm output impedance.
Also the STX II line-output benefits from using the one (dual channel DIP-8) buffer op-amp, as well as the two I/V (DIP-8) op-amps.
While the headphone jack only uses the two I/V op-amps.

Headphones in the 80-Ohm to 300-Ohm range, I do not think, would benefit using the O2 amp, over the STX II headphone amp.

Thanks for the input. So I had a question. I'm using Foobar2000 to listen to the DSD files I download off HDTracks of NativeDSD. How am I listening to those files if the STX II apparently doesn't natively support them? In Foobar, there is a DSD output section in settings I fiddle with then the Output is to ASIO ASUS STX II or whatever it says. There's a DSD: ASIO ASUS STX II, but I get no sound when I choose that option. Can someone please briefly explain to me how I'm listening to a DSD file if the card doesn't support it? And am I getting the full quality of the file format? I use a FiiO M3K which supports DSD files and the sound is the same as on my PC. Thanks.

P.S. Since listening to Hi-Res audio files, I cannot go back to Spotify. I got another 30 day trial of the service and the sound quality is just terrible. 320kbps audio files sound bad compared to a hi-res FLAC or DSD file. Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #746 of 888
Thanks for the input. So I had a question. I'm using Foobar2000 to listen to the DSD files I download off HDTracks of NativeDSD. How am I listening to those files if the STX II apparently doesn't natively support them? In Foobar, there is a DSD output section in settings I fiddle with then the Output is to ASIO ASUS STX II or whatever it says. There's a DSD: ASIO ASUS STX II, but I get no sound when I choose that option. Can someone please briefly explain to me how I'm listening to a DSD file if the card doesn't support it? And am I getting the full quality of the file format? I use a FiiO M3K which supports DSD files and the sound is the same as on my PC. Thanks.

P.S. Since listening to Hi-Res audio files, I cannot go back to Spotify. I got another 30 day trial of the service and the sound quality is just terrible. 320kbps audio files sound bad compared to a hi-res FLAC or DSD file. Anyway, just wanted to share that.
I really know very little about DSD, so I can only make a somewhat guess.
I'm fairly sure the STX II's audio processor Asus AV100 (C-Media CMI8878)
and the STX II DAC chip PCM1792A was designed (in 2003) way before DSD was around
So my guess(?) is the PCM1792A DAC chip can not convert the DSD digital audio signal to analog audio signal (guessing).
Your FiiO M3K's AK4376A DAC chip is only 5 years old in design.

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #747 of 888
I really know very little about DSD, so I can only make a somewhat guess.
I'm fairly sure the STX II's audio processor Asus AV100 (C-Media CMI8878)
and the STX II DAC chip PCM1792A was designed (in 2003) way before DSD was around
So my guess(?) is the PCM1792A DAC chip can not convert the DSD digital audio signal to analog audio signal (guessing).
Your FiiO M3K's AK4376A DAC chip is only 5 years old in design.

I appreciate your response. But it didn't really answer my question. I was asking, how was I listening to the file format in Foobar if the card doesn't support it? Also, why doesn't it sound different from the Fiio M3K which does support DSD. I guess it doesn't matter really. I was just curious as to how it works. Does Foobar do some type of software decoding? I wasn't sure.

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #748 of 888
I appreciate your response. But it didn't really answer my question. I was asking, how was I listening to the file format in Foobar if the card doesn't support it? Also, why doesn't it sound different from the Fiio M3K which does support DSD. I guess it doesn't matter really. I was just curious as to how it works. Does Foobar do some type of software decoding? I wasn't sure.

You are right, Foobar is transcoding DSD to PCM by default.
You can change the transcoding parameters in "Options->Tools->SACD"
You should actually be in "Output mode ->PCM"
For the best conversion, you should choose :
PCM Samplerate ->176400
PCM Volume -> 0db LFE as-is
DSD2PCM=Direct (64fp 30khz lowpass)

If you are using a DSD-compatible device (soudcard or usb) you can choose Output-> DSD

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #749 of 888
You are right, Foobar is transcoding DSD to PCM by default.
You can change the transcoding parameters in "Options->Tools->SACD"
You should actually be in "Output mode ->PCM"
For the best conversion, you should choose :
PCM Samplerate ->176400
PCM Volume -> 0db LFE as-is
DSD2PCM=Direct (64fp 30khz lowpass)

If you are using a DSD-compatible device (soudcard or usb) you can choose Output-> DSD

Hey thanks for your input! I made the changes you said. Sounds great! Thanks again for your help!

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #750 of 888
I do not really understand DSD very much, but i guess the STX II does work with DSD.
I guess my brain did not really pick up on your question when I first tried answering it, guess it happens when you suffer from ADHD.
My default thinking is your looking at fixing a problem, where your looking for more clarification or understanding.
So you get DSD audio using both the STX II and M3K, cool.
The STX II and M3K having matching audio quality (with DSD) would not seem like an issue with me.
The STX II DAC chip design is 12 years (or more) older then the M3K's DAC chip, so can't see why someone would expect the STX II's DAC chip (DAC function) to be better (audio quality wise) then the M3K's.
Upgrading the STX II's 3 op-amps might help audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back